Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you say to requests.... >

What do you say to requests....

What do you say to requests....

Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 AM

I tell people I will put them on my list. But, at this time the list is quite long.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 AM

After my step dad passed away I was over at my moms house helping her and my step sister clean out his clothing. My step sister said to just donate all the clothing. I asked if I could take some of the shirts and make a memory quilt for my mom. She said no problem. Her and I are only facebook friends. A couple of years later after I posted a picture of a quilt she put under the posting that I had taken a bunch of her dads clothes to make a quilt and she would like to have that quilt. Told her I made it for my mom and that she was more than welcome to the left over shirts. She than posted she wanted me to make the quilt that she did not do sewing. I than posted send me your address I will ship the left over fabric to you and you can find someone in organ to make the quilt for you. That it would probably run around 300 to 500 dollars to have someone cut up the scraps sew it together and than quilt it. Her response back was Oh never mind, I didn't want one that bad. If she would have said please do send them I will find someone to make it I would have done it for her for nothing because I knew she really wanted one or charged her and given the money to my mom. This was all after I had to pay for her dads funeral because there was no money to pay for it. Not one of the his five kids would give a cent for their dads funeral. All claimed they were broke.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by jbingwell View Post
I enjoy sewing and quilting. If a family member or close friend wants to pay for the fabric, I'll make them a quilt. After all, most of us make charity quilts, don't we? Even if I did not want to make one for the mother, I'd make it for the kids. (actually, been there, done that)
I like your philosophy. I'll keep this in mind if the situation ever comes up.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:24 AM

If I get asked for a quilt that I don't really feel like making, I just think up a crazy price that WOULD motivate me to make the quilt. Usually it's ridiculously high, like $800 for a simple throw, and that (so far) has kept me from having to make anything I wouldn't otherwise want to make!

And if someone DID want to spend $800 for a simple throw...well, I could find a way to be motivated. LOL
Old 01-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 View Post
You say" I'm sorry, it sounds like a fun project, but I'm just not going to be able to do that." Not, " I'm too busy right now" because it I plays that you MIGHT be someday. When pressed ( as lots of folks do!) you can say " No, really, I already have too much on my plate." Hopefully they'll get the message. If not, change the subject, they don't get any further explanation!
I like your response. The opening puts you in a friendly light and it's final. It doesn't leave them thinking that you might do it later.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:37 AM

somebody asked me a few days ago to make a t-shirt quilt, my quote was $600 for a twin, $1,000 for a queen. They didn't think they could afford it.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I just tell them I make what I make when I want to make it. I don't do requests, take orders, custom work or anything like that at all. I'm not going to make what I like to do in my spare time take me to any kind of a stress booster.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
I've had so many people ask me to make them quilts, telling me it would be so simple and wouldn't take much time.
Bwaaa haaa haaa!! Well if it's so dang simple and fast, why don't THEY do it?!!?!?!? Snort!
Old 01-21-2014, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

Isn't that the way it is.?
Originally Posted by mustangquilts View Post
After my step dad passed away I was over at my moms house helping her and my step sister clean out his clothing. My step sister said to just donate all the clothing. I asked if I could take some of the shirts and make a memory quilt for my mom. She said no problem. Her and I are only facebook friends. A couple of years later after I posted a picture of a quilt she put under the posting that I had taken a bunch of her dads clothes to make a quilt and she would like to have that quilt. Told her I made it for my mom and that she was more than welcome to the left over shirts. She than posted she wanted me to make the quilt that she did not do sewing. I than posted send me your address I will ship the left over fabric to you and you can find someone in organ to make the quilt for you. That it would probably run around 300 to 500 dollars to have someone cut up the scraps sew it together and than quilt it. Her response back was Oh never mind, I didn't want one that bad. If she would have said please do send them I will find someone to make it I would have done it for her for nothing because I knew she really wanted one or charged her and given the money to my mom. This was all after I had to pay for her dads funeral because there was no money to pay for it. Not one of the his five kids would give a cent for their dads funeral. All claimed they were broke.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:02 AM

I like the idea of saying you have so much on your plate, you would never get to it. Suggest she visit her local LQS so she could either take lessons to do it herself or find someone local to do it. I wish I had been introduced to a local quilt shop much earlier. She'll either get the "bug" or get educated about what goes into it. If she gets it or not, if you don't want to do the quilt, don't.