Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Computer quilting >

Computer quilting

Computer quilting

Old 11-08-2014, 04:44 PM

I just saw a computerized for the first time the other day at my aunt's house and I happened to think it was just gorgeous and admired how wonderful the quilt looked. I just think if we all can respect that every method of quilt making has its appeal and takes different skill sets. I just hate when people assume something is cheating or easier or requires less skill especially when they have never done it themselves. I am glad the people that do have chimed in to educate people about such things. We all have our opinions, likes, dislikes, I just think we all should repect all aspects of quilting even though we may dislike them. I can always find something to appreciate in all types of work even if they are not my style or technique.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:38 PM

I love them all because I think it's true that it isn't a quilt until its quilted.

I have a few WIPs that I don't have enough time to finish in what feels like a timely manner and how I wish I were better at FMQ so things could move along faster. That being said, all quilting has merit on its own. I love to hand quilt but it takes forever, and even in that regard judges don't give hand quilting enough credit. I can hand quilt with very small even stitches but I will never be able to quilt as densely as most machine quilted quilts no matter whether they are computerized or not simply based on the time factor. Do judges care? No I don't think so. Remarks have said "needs more quilting" when hung near a densely quilted-by-machine piece. It's kind of sad that such time honored work is not always judged in a way that honors tradition. I wish we could all just appreciate each quilt as a work of love and art no matter the process. I love them all. And I appreciate all who appreciate this wonderful thing we do.

So keep on quilting everyone, and enjoy your process!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
When my brother accompanied me to a quilt show, a vendor was there demoing a computer guided set up. He likened it to a player piano. Now understand, all he knows about quilting is what he has seen me do. He has watched me longarm and hand quilt. I have endeavored to expose myself to every aspect of quilting. I have not hand pieced but I have done hand applique (needle turn) and hand embroidery. I have hand quilted, quilted on my DSM (which I was completely incapable of mastering) and now I quilt on a LA, all hand guided but I do use a stitch regulator.

I was very dismayed to learn that the AQS shows have indeed separated out computer assisted quilting but they lump stitch regulated hand guided quilting into that. However, it is apparent that the winners are still hand guided quilters, even though they use a stitch regulator. But they are forced to enter into the computer assisted category just because of that. I agree that when it comes to show quilts, there should be completely separate categories for Robotic quilted and hand guided (with or without stitch regulator) just as there should be a separate category for hand quilting.

I too wish quilters who used computer assisted quilting were forth coming about it. If you are just as proud of that art as you are of doing it by hand, then shout it out. When you don't say, I think you are trying to pass off computer generated work as hand guided. If you digitized the design yourself by all means brag about it, as that is brag-worthy. If you spent hours lining up a motif, say so. I have gotten to the point where I can usually spot CG quilting even from a photo but there are some exceptional hand guided quilters out there that sometimes it is hard to tell.

With computer assist you only need to draw a motif once and the computer will reverse it, resize it, flip it or mirror it with a mouse click. Those of us that hand guide have to draw it out and trace it and redraw it again and then once we get it transferred to the quilt we stitch it out. It is a lot more work and effort, just like hand quilting is a lot more work and effort than machine quilting. And to those masters on the DSM... I bow to you for I am not worthy. I could never master the level of quilting I do on a LA on a DSM.

Oh and for the poster who asked how you can tell robotics from hand guided... Each motif is perfectly asymmetrical and identical with robotics, even if the image is reversed, resized or mirrored. Every back track is dead on with never a miss. With hand guided you will see motifs are slightly different. When the images are mirrored there are variations. Not every feather will be perfectly backtracked but you might have a hard time finding the one that was missed.
I think FelineFanatic really "nailed" this topic. At Guild recently we had a program on computer or robotic guided vs. hand guided long arm quilting. I asked what criteria to use for the expense of adding a computer system to your machine ($4,000-20,000! plus the expense of digitalized designs). Our presenters all said that if you are in business, using a computer guided system for most customer quilts makes it quick enough (and allows you to work on other things at the same time as someone noted) that you can charge the 1.5 to 2cents an inch for medium involved designs(with variety unlike most pantos) that customers ask for, at the price they ask for. Since I like the process of hand quilting,including the design work, etc and sure can't afford the computer!, and don't depend on my customer business to keep the utilizes on, I think I'll stick with what I have. but sure do agree that shows really must have separate categories.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:23 PM

I have been long arm quilting for 10 years. Recently I upgraded my machine and added a computer. I had the computer for a week and sent it back. Something was always going wrong with it. I quilted one King sized quilt and it took 3 days. It was the most boring experience for me. I am a freehand girl and realize we are all different, but for me, it took all the artistry out of the equation. I can freehand a king sized quilt in a day freehand with every bit as much detail and design. I guess it's what you get used to!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
A strange thing happened at the last quilt show I went to. I saw some great quilts and when I went closer to look at the quilting, I could immediately tell that the were computer quilted. Now don't get me wrong the quilting patterns were great and they exactly fit into the quilt pattern but I dismissed them and moved to the next quilt.
I wanted to see quilts and patterns that I could actually attempt not patterns that only a computer could do. What are your thoughts of quilts quilted by computer programmed patterns?
Question? Are you ready for the replies you are going to get?

Computer quilting is okay by me, but I'm not a purist.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:54 AM

I agree with those who said all of the various ways to quilt are beautiful and demand lots of skills. Certainly each quilting art-form utilizes different set of skill sets, thus shows will need in the future have to have different categories for the different ways to quilt. That means indeed show entrants need to be honest about their utilized quilting method. No shame attached to either way if the shows have the different categories set up.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
I agree with all this. It is a different skill set and not to be dismissed out of hand. For some of us this may be the only way we get any done. A seperate category at a quilt show sounds appropriate to me, just as one for hand or machine pieced and individual or group quilts.
or,Better judges that know the difference,IMHO,,,,,,,,,,HUGS
Old 11-09-2014, 08:58 AM

Such a good subject to get us thinking on - I look at any type of quilting as an expression of one's creativity. I'd love to be able to see how I could digitize designs for a long arm quilt, but I don't have one, I'm able to do FMQ on my Viking or Sweet 16, and that's where my creativity ends. If one has the ability to use other means, I can see why they would want to expand on it.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

I believe that it is wonderful that the ever changing options when it comes to quilting! You have to understand, I started out before rotary cutter and mat and my templates were cereal cardboard pieces and hand piecing. I take my hat off to each of those clever women that have made quilting what it is today. Its fun, creative and much faster to complete than our foremothers ever thought possible!

Also, I have to say the fabrics are heads above what they used to be. So, why not embrace the change and respect the women who have that skill box and money to do it their way? Sheesh ... Lets be supportive of them too.

I say it is great to have a choice. Don't you want to be individual in your style? I will leave the divisions at quilt shows up to the pros that know judging.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 11-09-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:33 AM

We went to the Houston show and when looking at the machines stitching by computer even my husband said that's more like cheating, and he really doesn't grasp the steps of quilting. I agree with DH.