Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Online computer back-up for a home computer...

Blog Entries

Online computer back-up for a home computer...

Like something free or low cost just to save documents and pictures. What do you recommend? Thanks!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    well i don't know. i would never use a company online to back up important things, like Bank accounts, etc. Or Cleaning my computer either.
    photos ,well, i used Photobucket for years but they made it so hard for me to log in because i was'nt using Facebook or Twitter, i cleaned it out. someone on here will have suggestion soon. good luck.

We use Carbonite, one son uses it, and another son uses Mozy. All seem to work as they say. I think about $50 a year. We don't keep passwords on the computer, but enter them every time. Don't know if this makes on line backup more secure or what. It's been years and we haven't had any problems. Both sons had to restore computers, one with Carbonite and one with Mozy and they were both pleased with the results.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Alyce. They are a couple I'm looking at plus Norton.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I've recently started using Skydrive (think it's called 'onedrive' now???) for documents. Not necessarily for back up purposes but more for portability. Don't need to copy files on flash drives and such. Totally free. I sign in/log out each time I access the site. Seems to work a peach.

I use Dropbox, seems to work well. I also use Mimedia but it can be a bit buggy and get stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I use Dropbox, seems to work well. I also use Mimedia but it can be a bit buggy and get stuck.
    I use Dropbox too... It works well for me. I save photos and documents (downloaded patterns, etc. susan

I bought an external hard drive and love it

I am like solstice 3 and have an external hard drive.

Not free, I know. But I also went with an external hard drive. I got a Seagate brand on sale. It was recommended to me as a really good brand.

Blog Entries
    Go to a stand alone back up drive. I have a Western Digital and Seagate on my computers. Can't tell any difference except cost when I purchases them. One was about $140 for 2 T, the other was $69 for 1T. I have never filled one up, so I wouldn't spent the extra for the 2 T again. I have seen them on sale for less lately.
    When you go for these on-line back up, if you can't get into your computer you don't have anything. This way, if I get a new computer, all I have to do is feed the information off the back up drive and I'm set to go, plus I know everyone doesn't have my information.

Quote Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
    I agree. It is the most reasonable and dependable backup that I know of, and easy to use.

We have 2 external hard drives we use for backing stuff up, trouble is we're not all that consistent about it. The idea is to back everything up to both drives (in case one fails, we have a backup to the backup) but I'm always behind on it; I need to find some kind of auto-backup software to run on our home network and check certain folders for new data and bring it over; and it'd be even better if the software could also check the two external drives and copy stuff between the two to keep them both up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
    I did this, but after a crash, I found out it didn't really keep everything and it was very confusing to restore what was there...(it all confuses me) but my son is the geek.