Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep >
  • colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep

• colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep

Old 06-06-2010, 07:02 PM

This is something that should be done and more often than every 10 years. Not all colon cancers are slow growing and not everyone is older when they get them. We have a friend who passed away in his late 30's if he'd only had one done earlier. No one likes having things like this done, but I can think of many far worse (like childbirth!). It really isn't a big deal. My doctor prohibits food intake for 12 hours before but you may drink water up until 8 hours before. I've always scheduled my tests very early in the day and if I am sleeping 8 hours dehydration really isn't an issue.

Just as a side note, colonoscopies are not only used for cancer screening. Your doctor will be looking for far more than a simple polyp.
    Old 06-06-2010, 09:26 PM
    Power Poster

If they would have done this screening back in the 1950's my dad would probably be alive today... he had surgery in 1968 he had a lot of his colon removed and a colostomy. 6 years later they found more tumor's throughout his body. He died 3 years later.

There was not a history of colon cancer in his family, and a screening could have showed the polyps early enough before they turned cancerous.

My brothers and I had our first colonoscopys at age 40, we all had polyps removed, and we have them done yearly.
    The oncologist has told us that we have a 50% greater risk so the testing is really necessary. Our children have a 25% greater risk.

However, he also said that it is not always genetic... most people who are diagnosed and die from colon cancer, could have prevented it by having a colonoscopy done.

Yes, the prep is not fun... the test itself is relatively painless now as we are given an IV and sleep through it. You may or may not be groggy for a while afterwards.

We take immunizations to prevent disease, and now for cancer too... We have blood work to rule out other diseases yearly, why not this test that can save our lives? JMHO
    Old 06-07-2010, 01:34 AM

Little hud, that guy knows how beauthiful you are on the inside :)

I had one, and it was discovered that all my symptoms were due to gluten intolerance. My sister refers to them (she is an RN) as an upthebumascope. UTBscopes if she is near a patient.
    Hope everything comes out ok.
    Old 06-07-2010, 01:47 AM

I have to agree. My Mom never having a colonoscopy because her Dr. never recomended one Started to have problems. Had one And found full blown colon cancer that had moved to her liver , lungs, and brest. She did not make it. My sister Had one just after my mom did and they found she was in the first stages of colon cancer. We both now have to be tested every three years. Now perping has changed over the years. Have to ask your Dr. what method he uses and if there is an altrunative.
    Old 06-07-2010, 03:13 AM

My hubby--who turned 50 in April, had one. All is well. I'm glad he loves us enough to not balk at this test. I just turned 50, but am having a polyp removed from my uterus this summer (no big deal)--so next summer, or over a school break, I'll have my first colonoscopy.
    Old 06-07-2010, 03:19 AM

I had the test in April and was on a liquid diet the day before the prep. The only thing was I wasn't supposed to start the prep until 7 PM which I feel is too late to start. Next time I will do it earlier. I used a sports drink to mix my solution and that is what my Dr. recommended. Oh by the way they found two benign polyps. My regular dr. had been after me for years to do it.
    Old 06-07-2010, 05:20 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rainy Day
    Little hud, that guy knows how beauthiful you are on the inside :)

I had one, and it was discovered that all my symptoms were due to gluten intolerance. My sister refers to them (she is an RN) as an upthebumascope. UTBscopes if she is near a patient.
    Hope everything comes out ok.
    :lol: I like your sisters name for it, lol :thumbup: ooh, maybe no thumbs up in this conversation would be better ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 06-07-2010, 10:50 AM

I'm with the "better safe than sorry" folks. My DH just had his first one, and they found polyps which were suspicious. I agree with posters who say that they appreciate that their loved ones are taking care of themselves - both for them and for those of us that love them. The prep isn't that bad (I've had one too). It's only a couple of days of discomfort to possibly save your life. Seems like a bargain to me and we'll continue to have ours, as well as Paps and mammos and such.
    Old 06-07-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
    okay, okay, I'll keep the appointment. Probably a smart thing to do anyway since daughter has Crohns'... :roll:
    Hi so glad you are going to do what most of the quilters have already adviced you.
    I had a colonoscopy and I try and advice everyone I meet to have one. You see I had colon cancer. I was saved by the test... I do have a permanent colonoscopy bag but I am ALIVE.
    The prep was disgusting. After two years I am still having nightmares about it :thumbdown: It took three days to be super clean as the surgeon wanted...
    I had to have a gastroscopy too. Both things did not hurt and when I went to see the surgeon I never thought that he had seen my bum :lol:
    As soon as my husband had tummy trouble I insisted he go and have a colonoscopy. Luckily everything is clear. My daughter is showing signs of IBS and I am insisting she go and have a colonoscopy ASAP.
    Call me paranoiac, but if I had been adviced a few years earlier to have had one, I would not have had to go through what I have gone through. Even though I think what I went through was an awesome experience!!!!!!
    Let us know what the outcome is. Thinking of you. ciao
    Old 06-07-2010, 01:55 PM

Coindidentally I just got a notice in the mail from my health insurance carrier. It states that "Colorectal cancer is the 3rd leading cause of cancer death in both men and women in the US." "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states as many as 60% of deaths from colorectal cancer could be prevented if everyone 50 years of age or older were screened regularly."

Now everybody, go get that screening test. For your loved ones if not for yourself.