Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep >

colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep

colonoscopies - agree or disagree and opinions on the prep

Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 AM

I had a colonoscopy 7 years ago and they found polyps, which were removed. I had no symptoms but my Mom died at age 56 from metestatic colon cancer. I was aged 49 at that time, and really had to push the doc to refer me for the test. When I went back 4 years later for another test, the doc said that if I had not had the first colonoscopy, by then I would have colon cancer. That made me sit up straight and listen. I need to go back in the Fall for another one- I dread the prep but the test is no big deal. Sure, there are risks, but think of the consequences of not going. Moral of the story- everybody should have a colonoscopy after age 50. Enough said.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:22 AM

okay, okay, I'll keep the appointment. Probably a smart thing to do anyway since daughter has Crohns'... :roll:
Old 06-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Thanks all of your you have agreed with my very strong comments, I thought I might have been too strong.

Keep going for the tests all those who still do, I wholehearted agree they are not nice, but very necessary.

Good luck everyone, donīt contemplate just do it
Not at all too strong, honey :) Thanks!!
Old 06-06-2010, 08:29 AM

Yes please,please get tested. The 50 years thing is not real ACTURATE. My sister passed away at 46. She lived only 6 months. Her major complaints was tiredness & potruding (sp) stomach. She was on the skinny side, a fitness fanatic. The first one in our family to have it. Everyone else got tested. Several other younger members have it including my son (33yrs.) So age isn't everything
Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Google Goddess

the new prep is easier than what I had done 7 years ago, my parents just had it done and was glad they did, found that they have problems
Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Google Goddess

I agree you must have it done, you don't want to get colon cancer
Old 06-06-2010, 08:41 AM

If you read the warnings on any medication, you wouldn't take it--the same with a colon prep. Unfortunately the prep is a necessary evil and if you skimp and don't drink all the solution, you may have to do it all over again. This is the time to have a colonoscopy--BEFORE there are any major issues. Having one now will give your doctor a baseline if you have problems down the road. Colon polyps usually have no signs and while they may not be cancerous now, they can become so. Depending on the type of cancer, it usually grows very slowly. So if you have any polyps removed now(it's painless), you have saved yourself from huge procedures and treatments that may come down the road if they do become cancerous. Patients are sedated during the procedure and usually remember nothing. This is a diagnostic test, just like a mammogram or a chest Xray. The life you save will be your own.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Colonoscopies are not high the FUN list of things to do. But they are necessary for a healthier way of life.
Schedule appontment for first thing in the morning, get it over with. Follow directions closly. If you should get dehydration call your doctor, this should not happen.
Don't wait, if you wait you may never get to finish that next quilt. Remember cancer works fast, you run faster.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Colonoscopies are not high the FUN list of things to do. But they are necessary for a healthier way of life.
Schedule appontment for first thing in the morning, get it over with. Follow directions closly. If you should get dehydration call your doctor, this should not happen.
Don't wait, if you wait you may never get to finish that next quilt. Remember cancer works fast, you run faster.
Well said, I second that. I think perhaps we have convinced her that this is not really a choice but a necessity. We were not aware that you could have colonscopies here in Spain as a choice or this would never have happened to by DH. He had prostrate tests and everything was fine, there was absolutely no sign of this in August when we married last year. One month later he felt unwell and it took them 2 1/2 months of wrongly diagnosing it and my badgering him to go private before he did, 10 days later we knew the disaserous results, donīt wait, this is a silent killer. By the time he actually got to finally get chemo it was too late, he was alrady in the 4 stage of cancer with secondaries in the liver.

I am so happy that so many of you have had this test and been given life again.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:20 AM

I had heard fro years how bad the prep was so i put off for years having mine. I finlly had the test last year and it was a piece of cake. I had pills I took starting at 7 pm drank water with the pill.
I was surpose to be out for the test but I wasn't So it was like watching somone else having the test. I'm good for 10 more years. I had Breast cancer 3 years ago so I get my test when I need them.