Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
MLK Version of Virtual Quilt Weekend >

MLK Version of Virtual Quilt Weekend

MLK Version of Virtual Quilt Weekend

Old 01-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond View Post
Btw, I never would have found this thread in this section if it had not been mentioned elsewhere - what makes this a Challenge or Contest???
Same here... I may be mistaken but it seems our previous Virtual Quilting Weekends were in the Main section, where people could find them! I would never have found this one if QuiltnNan hadn't mentioned it in the Main section.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:34 PM

I just have to put some buttons on 2 little monthly squares that were bom from 2years ago. I will try to post some pictures later.

Now I have to go get my car from the garage where it went in for an oil change.

Last edited by patricej; 02-13-2014 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:04 PM

Well I managed to finish the paper pieced units for my snowflake. My sewing room has a sunny southern window, which is perfect for holding the pieces up to check for good placement. I think I am a PP convert, it was a little like working a puzzle - definitely a "thinking" method of piecing. I am done sewing for the today!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM

I'm so glad we quilted together this weekend I'll plan our next one for Presidents Day weekend, 2/14-17. Hope you can all join me.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:06 PM

Did not manage to get as much sewing done as I had hoped had DD and family for weekend. Was hoping to sew most of today but DD stayed over and insisted I start decluttering ([ATTACH=CONFIG]457725[/ATTACH]_seriously overdue). Then a trip to Ikea. Monday evening is always sewing with a friend so here is my effort for today. Hoping to get top sewn together tomorrow. Have not posted pic from iPad before so fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-20-2014, 06:20 PM

Pretty quilt Cannyquilter! I'm sorry you didn't get as much done as you wanted to, hope it goes well tomorrow!

I finished the HST top I was working one. Started and finished in one weekend, a new one for me. It helped that I already had the squares cut and ready to go. It need borders, I'm thinking cream or mustard yellow, but that will require a trip to the fabric store.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]457740[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2007-05-06-17.24.41sm.jpg  
Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 PM

I'm done with this top for now! Arrrgghh! It ended up 60 by 62 and has waves on the bottom rows. All of the fabric was donated and the squares were cut by my church quilters. I should have stopped at a baby size. Oh, well. The quilters will need to tie it a little closer than usual and then donate it. I will leave it hang until tomorrow and see if any of you have suggestions on where I need to take it apart. If I were brave, I would sandwich it and pin it like mad and try to do some stitch-in-the ditch. But I'm not brave, at least not tonight. I used 3 1/2 and 4 inch alternating rows. I think I should have reversed my direction of sewing on each row but I didn't think of it until now.

Connie
Old 01-20-2014, 07:24 PM

Picture of top
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-21-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by retiredteacher09 View Post
I'm done with this top for now! Arrrgghh! It ended up 60 by 62 and has waves on the bottom rows. All of the fabric was donated and the squares were cut by my church quilters. I should have stopped at a baby size. Oh, well. The quilters will need to tie it a little closer than usual and then donate it. I will leave it hang until tomorrow and see if any of you have suggestions on where I need to take it apart. If I were brave, I would sandwich it and pin it like mad and try to do some stitch-in-the ditch. But I'm not brave, at least not tonight. I used 3 1/2 and 4 inch alternating rows. I think I should have reversed my direction of sewing on each row but I didn't think of it until now.

Connie
You might try blocking the quilt top. I've had some luck blocking a finished quilt, but haven't tried it on a top. I would bet that blocking and then starching while it is still blocked would stiffen the top and allow it to be quilted with minimal problems. You also might try posting on the Main Forum for help, there are a lot of quilters with more experience than I have who could help.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:01 AM

You have all made great use of this weekend. I hope to be right there with you next time!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-24-2014 at 04:30 AM. Reason: remove PDA info