Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ethical Question >

Ethical Question

Ethical Question

Old 05-19-2010, 04:01 PM

with your experience, I would just make one as close to the one you love,get the picture, enlarge it and take it from there, I do that a lot, I would much rather spent money on fabric I like.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:25 PM

I thought it if it was for personal use only, and you calculate the yardage, redraw the design, it should be OK. How many times have I seen a magazine design that is circles in a square, vatiation on a traditional pattern, strips, etc. Will your EQ6 explode if the design you happen upon is one someone else happened upon?
Old 05-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

If you don't need it, don't buy it.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:33 PM

Only the pattern, MAYBE, is copyrighted. And maybe even that may be an old block or collection of blocks.

The kit is not copyrighted at all.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM

Is there a copyright on the pattern? If not, according to federal law, anyone has a right to it. In a U.S. Supreme Court decision written and handed down by Justice Scalia in June 2003 the Court: Held: Section 43(a) of the Lanham Act does not prevent the unaccredited copying of an uncopyrighted work.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:29 PM

Maybe I'm not understanding the original question....If a quilt pattern is published in a magazine that we buy, then as far as I am aware the pattern is not copyright protected as long as we make it for personal use or for gifting. Making it for entry in a quilt show with money awards for placing should be fine unless the magazine the pattern is published in states contrary. As long as it not sold to make money for the quilt maker (not the quilt designer). Otherwise, why would patterns be put out in magazines??
Old 05-19-2010, 05:38 PM

All of my LQS have kits but you can also buy only the pattern and pick from the fabric whatever you like
Old 05-19-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Pam
I copy stuff all of the time. I rarely purchase a pattern (think I have 2x). Most of the time traditional blocks are used in commercial patterns, that is why we like them!

I do not take pictures of others stuff to copy, just remember what I saw and draw it out on graph paper when I get home, so who knows if it is a copy? I will usually throw in extra stuff like pinwheels, ect to personalize it anyway.
I do the same. Sometimes I see a picture in a magazine or a finished quilt in a shop. I try to remember and make a drawing back home. Then I try to figure out how I can make it. The funny thing is, most of the time the finished product looks very different. Is it my own design, afterwards ???
Old 05-19-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I too do a lot of browsing and looking at quilts and almost all the time I can figure out how it was made. I wouldn't copy a truly original design and say it was my own but, as one person said, a lot of quilts are made up of traditional blocks put together in a different way or use of color.

Something I found interesting is that in EQ6 all of the blocks are not copywrite (unless you install an add-on by a specific designer) and they can be used any way you want to. You could say that it was inspired by a certain design.

I do purchase patterns too.
I do agree with Pittsburgpam...you're right on the money with your analysis!
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 05-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Pam

If you are a quilter, you are an artist as far as I am concerned!! I plan on doing what I have always done. Those who do not like it can ...... go away. Sue me!!!!!