Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • My fabric is ruined!!! What should I do? AARRGGHH! >
  • My fabric is ruined!!! What should I do? AARRGGHH!

• My fabric is ruined!!! What should I do? AARRGGHH!

Old 06-22-2011, 06:27 AM

I would just use it the way it is. No one will know the difference. I would bet that once you get it cut up, and put into blocks, you won't be able to tell the difference. Like someone else said, there is lots of fabric made that way.
    If you hadn't seen it before the wash, you would think it was part of the grand design.
    Take a deep breath, and just go for it. You will feel better once you try it. ;-)
    Old 06-22-2011, 06:32 AM

I did the "where's Waldo thing" when looking at the fabric and see what you mean. If the fabric is going to be cut up into small pieces, it may not matter all that much. I may want to wash it again to see if the mottling evens out though. Good luck.
    Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 AM

Your fabric now looks like a 'blender'. I think that is still usable. Try one block and see how you feel about it.
    Old 06-22-2011, 07:20 AM

I pay good money for batiks that look like that, so if I were you, I would just go ahead and use the fabric like it is and I would swear up and down that that is the way it is supposed to look. Remember: when life gives you lemons....
    Old 06-22-2011, 07:20 AM

Yikes! So sorry this happened. :-(
    Old 06-22-2011, 07:35 AM

Sorry that happened to you!! However I have learned a lot

of ideas from your mishap!!!!!!
    Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 AM

I absolutely LOVE mottled fabric ... whether it was meant to be that way or not, I'd cut it up and go for it! Don't look back! You'll have one unique, one of a kind, beautiful quilt! Don't even mention it after it's done ... nobody will know the trauma you went through! :)
    Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 AM

I would certainly notify the manufacturer of the products you used, fabric, detergent and color catcher. I'm mad at all of them, on your behalf!
    Old 06-22-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    Originally Posted by butterflywing
    Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    its not the retayne its the fabric

you can try washing it again in the hottest water you can to remove the retayne and then wash it again in the hottest water you can to try and fade it even further.

you can then over dye it yourself with purple to try and achieve a more uniform color.

with all that said i love the mottled look and wouldn't do a thing - but i'm not you and i understand the disappointment when a fabric doesn't turn out exactly as you wanted.
    if you overdye with a dye like RIT, it will fade out every time you wash it. if you want it to stay as you dye it, you have to use a commercial (professional) dye. however, any dye you use will be mottled because it's starting out on mottled fabric.

it's very, very nice the way it is and definitely looks like it was supposed to be that way. i would wash it one more time to be sure it's finished doing whatever it did.

while i am not a fan of RIT or Dylon dye, i use procion, it can be used and treated with retayne to prevent fading and bleeding.

here is an article on how to use these products for your reading pleasure

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/allpurposedye.shtml

also if you choose a dye that is the color of the dark mottled sections you can even out the mottled tone of the fabric.

i know this to be a fact because i do it all the time with my fabric when i'm not happy with how the mottled effect has come out in the dyeing process.

instead of getting rid of the fabric i simply dye it again to an even color tone that looks just like kona cotton.
    procion dye is not in the same category as the first two. it is a commercial /professional dye, such as is sold by Dharma, and it may not fade out. still, if you use procion, there will be mottling because you're dying both light and dark fabric and you'll be changing the color of the print, again because that's a different base color. it's the same as dying over pale purple and dark gray. you end up with two different shades just as you begin with two shades. in this case, throw the print into the mix for an additional value. instead of complicating the matter, i would leave a perfectly acceptable fabric where it is, wash it one more time to let it do it's thing, and use it as it's lovely self.
    if it were sold this way, it would probably have cost more as a printed batik.
    Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 AM

I just want to say the wisdom of the board is nothing short of amazing! I have learned so much...and that alone brings sunshine to what originally seemed like such a bleak mess! I have washed the material again. And yes, it's still mottled but I'm amazed at the "uniformity" of it...meaning it happened on ALL pieces of the various fabrics from this line. Soooo...as most of you have suggested I'm leaving well enough alone and going with it! I think it's going to be just fine. Live and learn...and enjoy the wisdom and encouragement of others along the way! Thank you all!!!