Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Please tell me it isn't just me!!! >
  • Please tell me it isn't just me!!!

• Please tell me it isn't just me!!!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:55 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have quite a few quilts all cut out and then I go on to something else. I love cutting! I have a couple of quilts that I started sewing and didn't finish. Maybe 2. Now, talk about BOM! I have those that I did a couple of months and then put aside and add each new month to the pile. That's my problem. I have a friend here on the board and we are doing a couple of the same BOMs and she's all caught up to block 11 and I'm on block 2. I need to get a move on!! They are applique and I love applique, so I should just spend a week and get caught up. A week or two, maybe.
    Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 AM

I have 2 sewing rooms - 1 in CT and 1 in AZ. I do the quilting in CT. So - I piece to my heart's content in AZ, and then take the tops to CT to quilt on my fancy Creative Sensation. That doesn't mean I finish all of them in CT - because I love to piece more than I like to quilt. I managed to finish several in CT this year, but I still have 5 finished tops to quilt, 1 set of blocks to sew together, all in CT. I am working on a Karen Stone NY Beauty in AZ since 2005, but I may never finish it! I keep finding something else to piece.
    Old 11-21-2012, 09:18 AM

I have 2 tops not completed but about 6 waiting to be quilted and bound. I am cutting for 3 quilts but won't start these until I have completed the 2 tops at least.
    Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
    I have the opposite issue. I can't bring myself to start another before the one I am working on is done. I know this comes from my upbringing. When I would even start to think about making anything new... my Mom would ask "did you finish the one you are working on?"... We had a very strict rule no new fabric could be cut till the the current project was done. There was another rule.. fabric had to be .50 cents a yard or less. Patterns had to have at least 3 different items( skirt , pants, and something else).. and those had to be under. 50 cents.
    So even though I have tried to start a project without completing one... it just creates stress.. this overwhelming feeling that what I am doing is wrong. Funny how we can get conditoned and it stays with us for a lifetime.
    Lori, you're telling your age. I too can remember when fabric and patterns were that cheap. In the '50s Mother bought Dan River fabric in 4-yd packages. I'm wanting to say for a dollar. When I started to sew in the early '60s I bought fabric for 25 and 35 cents a yard. It sounds unreal that those prices existed. I guess that's what inflation will do for you.
    Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 PM

I try to finish a project before I start a new one. Sometimes it gets tedious and boring, or I get tired of looking at it, then I need to do something else for a while.
    Old 11-21-2012, 01:35 PM

I also have several going on at once. It provides variety.

if I only had one, I think I'd quit sewing because the minute I got bored with it, wanted a bit of variety, it would begin to be a chore. By having several going on at once, you can pick and choose. If choices are painful for someone, this is not the way to be, however.

I can understand those who only do one at a time, but I can't think like that very well.

I suppose everyone who can only do one at at time also finds it impossible to do long term projects like "block a month" and/or "the little houses" project, right?
    Old 11-21-2012, 03:41 PM

DeMaris, you are not alone. At last count I think I have 18 quilts in variouis stages of completion and 2 quilted table runners to be finished, plus one wall hanging that needs binding. I think I must have QADD (quilter's attention deficit disorder). lol I get tired of working on one quilt and move on to another. Hopefully I will be able to finish some of the UFOs this winter when it is too cold and snowy to get out.
    Old 11-21-2012, 03:52 PM

I don't like having more then one at a time done...sometimes if I can do one in a day I will do another but normally I like to finish what I start before I start another one.
    Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 PM

I think varity is the spice of quilting......why only have one!! Sometimes I feel like piecing, sometimes I feel like applique, sometimes I just want to sit in front of the tv and do hand quilting. I love having many projects to choose from. Hugs, Gail
    Old 11-21-2012, 04:24 PM

I get all enthused about a new pattern but usually get bored once I have the top sewn. Right now I have a large paper-pieced top for which I can't decide on the borders, so I had planned to start a modern quilt in grey and coral, but while going through my stash to find the right graphic fabrics I got sidetracked by some florals and now have an x's and o's top sewn, but now can't decide on the third border so I may start that grey one next.

There are so many quilts I want to make and they all fight for attention in my busy brain.