Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Please tell me it isn't just me!!!

Please tell me it isn't just me!!!

I want to know how many of you have quilts started and then move onto another one before you completed the first one.....or how many do you have in the works that you float back and forth to depending on your mood.

At the beginning of the year, I had 23 tops started and each one was in it's separate little plastic tote on the shelf so I knew what I had to work with and the fabric for each were in the totes. Now here we are in November almost December and I completed 7 of them and then I also did 4 new ones in the mix, however, those are completed!!!

My goal was to finish one UFO a month....I have 16 left to go before the end of the year!!!! LOL....like that will happen!!!

I seem to be hoarding my fabric lately and can't even quilt with it as I find it so precious! I have decided that I need to get these project finished up some of them only need one or two more blocks made and the put together....so they are close to done.

Again, just wanting to know if anyone else does this...LOL! You all have a great day!

I have the opposite issue. I can't bring myself to start another before the one I am working on is done. I know this comes from my upbringing. When I would even start to think about making anything new... my Mom would ask "did you finish the one you are working on?"... We had a very strict rule no new fabric could be cut till the the current project was done. There was another rule.. fabric had to be .50 cents a yard or less. Patterns had to have at least 3 different items( skirt , pants, and something else).. and those had to be under. 50 cents.
    So even though I have tried to start a project without completing one... it just creates stress.. this overwhelming feeling that what I am doing is wrong. Funny how we can get conditoned and it stays with us for a lifetime.

I'm more or less with you, Lori, as I find it stressful to have a lot of projects going at the same time. I can have two at the most started, then I must finish the one closest to done.

Blog Entries
    I have a stained glass window paper pieced project that is ongoing ( when I am between things I work on it) I have always completed any other quilt before I start another. I have started to only allow 5 completed tops to be completed and sandwiched to pile up before FMQ them. The tops could be small or large but five is the rule that have to be all finished before starting to piece another item.
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Banned
    I have 40+ quilts in various stages of completion.
    Never stops me from starting more.

I don't even know how many in-progress projects there are in that closet. I try not to think about it.

Meanwhile, I think I'll cut a new quilt today!

I will be working on one then if I hit a road block I'll take a break from it and start a different one! haha...I get so anxious to see my final project I almost seem to force it and race through just so I can see it done! but yes I usually have at least 2 projects going at a time...
    LIVE ~ LAUGH ~ LOVE

I have too many things started, but I try to always be working on an older one that I'm kind of sick of. I find that I actually make fewer errors when I'm working on many projects at once because I have to pay closer attention to what I'm doing instead of letting my mind wander....... Donna

Love it.....glad to hear it isn't just me....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo View Post
    I have 40+ quilts in various stages of completion.
    Never stops me from starting more.

I usually work on one quilt top at a time. When the quilt top is done I may set it aside to be quilting at a later date then begin another quilt. That doesn't bother me at all.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

I have so many projects in the works I have two lists -- one is projects I'm still piecing and the other is for quilt tops waiting to be quilted. So far this year I started 13 new quilts - 2 are completely finished, 5 are now tops waiting to be quilted. I also finished 3 more older tops (started before Jan 1st) which 2 were quilted and gifted. I quilted 5 tops which were completed prior to Jan 1st. In addition to this, I've managed to complete 50 of my Just Take Two blocks (which is a little over half of what has been released) and 19 of the 21 remaining blocks to a Christmas BOM I started in 2003. I should get the other three done by the end of the year and the center of the top assembled.

So, yes, I bounce around. I have lots of projects in various stages. Some are long term projects, some I manage to squeeze in and get bound. But, I am finding (not that the above narrative would lead you to believe it) I have slowed way down on starting new projects.

Pam
    http://knitnoid.wordpress.com

Blog Entries
    Raising my hand - me too. I haven't counted my UFOs lately but there are lots.

When I firist started quilting, I made one quilt at a time start to finish. Since then I have had several projects going at once. I would like to get back to one at a time. :0) It is just neater and less confusing that way for me any way.

I hop around from project to project like a kitten chasing a field mouse in tall grass. I love having loads of different stuff to work on. I currently have one of my own quilts on the LA rack that is a Christmas present for my mom, a commissioned T shirt quilt that I have finished the top and need to piece the back, a batik block swap top that I just finished last night, another top that is a sort of NY Beauty that all the blocks are finished and the sashing is cut, I just need to sew them together and do the applique parts, A buckeye beauty that I intended to be a Christmas gift (not sure if I am gonna make it) that all the blocks are done, just need to sew them together, a log cabin scrap quilt that has pretty much been a WIP, since I completed my very first quilt and got scraps to cut into logs and several hundred HST's that were mostly leaders and enders that have been trimmed to size for another scrap quilt. And these are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head. My sewing room is a veritable cornucopia of WIPS, UFOs, and PIGS (Project in Grocery Sack).

Then it spills over into my LA studio. I have several customer quilts in que to LA and a whole drawer full of intended projects with fabrics and patterns set aside but I haven't even started to cut into yet. My brain is almost always considering the next several projects down the road. I can't wait until I can retire so I can really get some quilting done! LOL

So NO you are not alone. Sometimes I start a new project because I got bored with the other one. But I do always go back and visit my UFOs. The Batik block swap top I just finished has been simmering in the background for almost two years. I would pull it out and work on it here and there. Same with my scrappy LC. Nothing ever languishes forever unfinished but some do take longer than others. The LC when it is finally done will have been a WIP/UFO for over 20 years!

Yes I have a few WIP. I usually hit a snag and had to let the back of my mind work it out. That's my story and I'm sticking to it

I'm a finisher. I might have two projects if I'm doing one by hand, but basically I can't wait to finish what I'm working on.

I have many UFOs also. I try to set a goal for myself to finish some before starting another. Well, then along comes a class or someone needs a quilt made for an event coming up. After that I tend to forget about my UFOs. I have a sister that use to work on one project at a time. I have taught her to become a better quilter. She now has UFOs in her closet.

Blog Entries
    I really want to start a new quilt. I dream about it, fantasize about it, but........I don't dare start another. If I were to do that, start another, I would never finish the one I'm currently working on. I know me well, so it is one at a time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR View Post
    I don't even know how many in-progress projects there are in that closet. I try not to think about it.

Meanwhile, I think I'll cut a new quilt today!
    LOL that's what I did today
    Eat, quilt, sleep, repeat

Blog Entries
    I have a few quilts going. I usually start a pattern because I want to learn a new technique and once started and sorted feel if need a new challenge before it is finished. The cat enjoys the ufo's .,so I must keep some for her . The dogs have my free motion practise pieces. Me I have unfinished quilts to keep me warm.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I have no problem starting another quilt before one is finished. I don't even know how many quilts I have in progress. Sometimes I completely lose interest and abandon projects too.

Blog Entries
    I am definately a starter! Finishing is the challenge. I also set a goal to finish 1 per month this year. I have 1 finished, with 5 needing binding. So way more work done this year than in my entire quilting career!

Board swaps sidetracked me this year...certainly not counting those as started projects!

I get bored working on the same thing...starts to feel like punishment after a while. And I feel the guilt of starting something new. So...I usually go with the better awful feeling and start something new.

Nope, same boat.
    Fraew

"I don't buy vintage quilts. By the time I finish the quilts I've started they've already become antiques." ~ Mark Lipinski
    Link to my albums: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...85-albums.html

I only have 3 rag quilts done this year .... And so hope I Start One, Finish One!!!! NOT like my knitting . Unfinished knit things everywhere, and very hard to go back and pick up where you left off ... The rhythm just isn't there any more

so, I am hoping, ONE quilt at a time!!!!

jody

I have lots of started projects. This year my goal was to finish some of them. I also know that I would want to start new projects so here was my plan: for every 2 UFO's I completed I could start a new project but I HAD to complete it and not put it away. So far so good. I am finishing some things and reward myself with something new I want to do. I think next year I will do 3 for 1. I may get more of the UFO's out of here. Many of them just need to be quilted or just a few blocks finished to get to the quilting.

I like to jump around. I rarely ever finish a quilt without starting something else(not including the projects I've already started). I like to keep sewing fun. If I feel like finishing it...I do. If not, I let the top sit in a pile until I feel like quilting. Then, I go in a quilting frenzy and have to quilt as much as I can.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast