Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone? >

Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Old 12-05-2013, 02:41 AM

Go and if you do not like it you can leave! . I am a "weird loner" too and if I waited around on someone to go with me I would never leave the house lol. If I were close to anything like this I would go. To bad I am not in Cali I would be your retreat friend . I always go to shows alone and I do feel like I stick out too, everyone is all chatty around me but guess what , I don't care anymore Because I enjoy it .
Old 12-05-2013, 03:19 AM

I have started some amazing traditions because I found a new retreat and went by myself. Met wonderful women and was not tempted to just talk to the person I drove with. (bad habit)

So go ahead and enjoy.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:34 AM

[QUOTE=raedar63;6439653]Go and if you do not like it you can leave! . I am a "weird loner" too and if I waited around on someone to go with me I would never leave the house lol. If I were close to anything like this I would go. To bad I am not in Cali I would be your retreat friend . I always go to shows alone and I do feel like I stick out too, everyone is all chatty around me but guess what , I don't care anymore Because I enjoy it .[/

EXACTLY!

Bring a couple of your favorite projects for show and tell as an ice breaker.
sandy
Old 12-05-2013, 03:50 AM

I decided a long time ago that I wouldn't let going alone keep me from doing anything I wanted to do.

i didn't go to a Keith Whitley concert when I was in my twenties because my boyfriend was out of town. I figured I'd catch him the next time he played in Dallas. Well, Whitley died shortly after that, so I never got the second chance. Told myself then I'd never do that again.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:56 AM

We are absolutely going back to Bridle Creek in January. In fact, a few of us are adding Thursday to the stay. I think this is the fourth year for us. I have yet to make a retreat at Stella Maris….one of these days. You must be a member of Mohawk Valley Quilt Club? I do their newsletter.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:28 AM

Don't worry about any age difference. The old ones were young once too and can most likely relate to your life in some way. I always enjoy talking to the younger ones and learning about them. When the older quilters start talking about their kids and grandkids you could talk about your grandmother and special moments you've had with her.
Don't worry about them being more experienced than you at quilting. We were all beginners once and most of us love helping and encouraging others. I think you'll have a blast!!
Old 12-05-2013, 05:27 AM

Go, go, go. You will make quilting friends and come home quiltergized.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:01 AM

I went to Empty Spools alone. I'm pretty much like you except for that age bit. Introvert, etc. There were younger people in our class - the minority to be sure, but not that unusual. But, to be honest, age and/or quilting experience didn't seem to make much difference. You get talking to other people about their lives, as well as their quilting and it became easy. I think most of us on the far side of 60 are so happy to see younger people getting into quilting, that you will find many people delighted to make you acquaintance. There were a number of us with relatively little quilt experience. Bottom line, had a great time.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 AM

My DD has gone with me to many retreats. At first she didn't know anyone, but she is an expert quilter and fit right in. She travels to WA to go with me. A few times some of the other quilters daughters went, but sometimes she was the youngest there. This will be the first year we can't go and we miss it. Go and enjoy yourself. I know you will.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I think it would be enjoyable meeting new people. I would go it alone