Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone? >

Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Is it normal to go to quilt retreats alone?

Old 12-13-2013, 08:15 PM

I think it is FABULOUS that you can do this! GO and enjoy!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:55 AM

Retreats are wonderful! I have never gone to one when I didn't come home with new friends. Quilter all have a remarable bond and are all willing to help with a problem or just visit. We all roam from table to table looking at all the projects and fabric. I have the same problem with being new to the area.....last year I was befriended by a woman who later explained she owned a an art gallery in Chicago, what a talented woman!

UOTE=Sewnoma;6437228]There are a couple of quilt retreats coming up in my area this spring and I'm considering going to one or the other.

My problem is...I don't know any other quilters in my area, so I'd be going by myself, without knowing ANYBODY there. I'm a little bit shy when I don't know people so it's hard for me to be outgoing in situations like that.

I also think I'm a bit younger than most local quilters; definitely younger than the very few I've managed to meet at the LQS or annual quilt show - which makes me feel out of place too. I'm from Generation X, program computers for a living, and have no kids (much less grandkids)...I worry the ONLY thing I will have in common with most of my fellow quilters will be quilting. (And of course I also worry they will all be much better at it than I am so I'll look a fool...but THAT particular fear I can deal with.)

I guess I'm just worried I'll go and I will stick out like a sore thumb and spend the whole time being lonely and out of place while everybody else either already knows each other or all have way more in common with each other than I do.

Am I worried for nothing? Do other quilters tend to buddy up with weird loners like me at retreats? Does a love of quilting make up for having zero other things in common? Do 30-ish people even go to quilting retreats??

I feel like I'm being silly and a bit of a chicken but I don't want to spend a lot of money (and burn up a bunch of vacation hours at work) if it's not going to be a good experience. Crazy....walk me into a boardroom full of demanding, "high-powered" people and tell me to give a presentation and I'm cool as a cucumber, but put me in a room full of strangers making quilts and tell me to make friends and I'm totally intimidated![/QUOTE]
Old 12-14-2013, 03:57 AM

Retreats are wonderful! I have never gone to one when I didn't come home with new friends. Quilter all have a remarable bond and are all willing to help with a problem or just visit. We all roam from table to table looking at all the projects and fabric. I have the same problem with being new to the area.....last year I was befriended by a woman who later explained she owned a an art gallery in Chicago, what a talented woman!

And as for being generation x?...Great for you! Someone is definately take you under their wing.....it is so wonderful someone your age is interested in quilting!

UOTE=Sewnoma;6437228]There are a couple of quilt retreats coming up in my area this spring and I'm considering going to one or the other.

My problem is...I don't know any other quilters in my area, so I'd be going by myself, without knowing ANYBODY there. I'm a little bit shy when I don't know people so it's hard for me to be outgoing in situations like that.

I also think I'm a bit younger than most local quilters; definitely younger than the very few I've managed to meet at the LQS or annual quilt show - which makes me feel out of place too. I'm from Generation X, program computers for a living, and have no kids (much less grandkids)...I worry the ONLY thing I will have in common with most of my fellow quilters will be quilting. (And of course I also worry they will all be much better at it than I am so I'll look a fool...but THAT particular fear I can deal with.)

I guess I'm just worried I'll go and I will stick out like a sore thumb and spend the whole time being lonely and out of place while everybody else either already knows each other or all have way more in common with each other than I do.

Am I worried for nothing? Do other quilters tend to buddy up with weird loners like me at retreats? Does a love of quilting make up for having zero other things in common? Do 30-ish people even go to quilting retreats??

I feel like I'm being silly and a bit of a chicken but I don't want to spend a lot of money (and burn up a bunch of vacation hours at work) if it's not going to be a good experience. Crazy....walk me into a boardroom full of demanding, "high-powered" people and tell me to give a presentation and I'm cool as a cucumber, but put me in a room full of strangers making quilts and tell me to make friends and I'm totally intimidated![/QUOTE]
Old 12-14-2013, 04:32 AM

I go to a retreat at least once a year. My husband pays half as my birthday present and it's the best present he could give me. Although I don't belong to the local guild and only see the ladies at the retreat, everyone is super friendly. We don't have a teacher or a group project although someone may give a demonstration on some technique or other to those who are interested. Getting a cup of coffee or a trip to the restroom usually involves a tour of room to see what everyone is working on and what progress they have made. Many ooohs and aaahs and pictures are taken. I do take my iPod loaded with my audiobook so I can tune everyone out if I feel the need, but it's an experience I look forward to all year. I say go, you won't regret it!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:43 AM

I went to my first alone. I saw some people who seemed very friendly and asked if I could join them for the meals. Had a great time. Have gone for 11years now. Wouldn't miss it! Do follow Jan's advice though. Don't suffer stuck to one bad egg. Graciously, find a friendlier spot if need be.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:01 PM

I'm so glad you brought this up. I feel awkward at first when meeting groups of new people, especially if they already know each other. If someone steps up and talks to me, I can be very outgoing, but am afraid I'm intruding if I just go up to people that are already talking to each other.

I took a quilt class once, and had so much fun. I enjoyed meeting all the ladies, some older, some younger, but we were all there for the same reason. Since each of them was there alone, also, I never felt uncomfortable at all. It is just when being the newcomer in an already established group that makes me feel out of sorts.

I would love to go to a retreat, but the ones sponsored by the local guild seem to have all the same people going each year, so I'm reluctant to join in. Since everyone say Go, maybe I'll brave up and go.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:26 PM

I think you should try one and see how you like it. I have found most quilters friendly and welcoming if they know you are attending alone. If if you find a few that are snooty....hey, their loss! Keep meeting people. After all, you all have quilting in common and that's a great start! Maybe sign up for the shorter of the two retreats. I bet you'll love it! Let us know if you decide to go and how it went!