Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Scrappy Log Cabin >

Scrappy Log Cabin

Scrappy Log Cabin

Old 08-07-2009, 10:07 PM

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful. You have a great eye for light and dark and you are so organized.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 PM

Wow, beautiful, how long did it take you to sort your scraps? It's taking me forever to sort mine. 8)
Old 08-08-2009, 04:19 AM

Awesome!!! Both the quilt and the organization. My scraps are in big garbage bags.LOL
Old 08-08-2009, 07:58 AM

how do you determine what is light and what is dark? do you choose a middle color from the beginning and then everything over is dark and everything under is light? or eyeball it?

for me, that's the hard part. there are so many middle shades, i can never get it right. i know it's value, but i still have trouble with it.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:37 AM

:D :D :D Great quilt! How long did it take you to make? I love Log Cabins and have been saving strips. Your organization is an insiration.
thanks for sharing.

judee
Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 AM

OK I want to sit down and cry. I just gave away a green garbage bag full of scraps! I wish I had seen your quilt before I did. It is absolutely wonderful! Don't you just love those plastic baskets for organizing!
Old 08-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

dunster, you are up there on my list of organized ppl! I love to be organized, but have trouble with what would look good together. I know what looks good, but then another fabric starts yelling, "no, pick me, pick me...I would look even better!"...and then I can't make up my mind!
Your quilt is so awesome.
Some of us shop for hours to get a look like that! WOW! :D
Old 08-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Power Poster

Gosh, I am overwhelmed by the amount of attention this quilt is getting. You are all so generous in your comments.

To answer some of the questions -

Suse - It took about a week to organize the scraps, but that was because I took them with me on a trip to visit the kids. At home it might have taken longer because there would have been other (more interesting) things to do.

butterflywing - If you sort the fabrics into darks and lights before starting to piece the quilt, it's easier to make the decision as to which is which. There are a few fabrics that are filling both roles in this quilt. And although a block may not look well separated into dark and light when you view it alone, when you see the same block in a big quilt it looks fine.

judee0624 - about 6 weeks from start to finish, not working on it every day because it was so hot here for part of that time.

everyone - thanks for the compliments on my color sense, but really that isn't necessary in a true scrap quilt. I took everything I had, mixed it all together with total abandon, and didn't stress about color at all. The more fabrics you use, the less you have to worry about what goes together. It's very freeing.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:09 PM

the lights and darks look perfect to me.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:14 PM

Oh my goodness! What a stunning quilt! What size are your blocks? What a terrific way to use up your scraps. I just love your organizational method for them, too. Yes, scraps do proliferate, just like bunnies. LOL