Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart material >

walmart material

walmart material

Old 01-19-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
Ditto! from me to when we had fabric in Walmart.
I do as well
Old 01-19-2011, 06:00 PM

i would say stock up !!!!! start now
Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by zennia
I miss the fabric department at my Wal-Mart.
Ditto
Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM

I have WM fabric in my stash and have made several quilts with their fabric,I always did the feel check and made sure that I could NOT see thru it,the quilts I have made have held up quite nicely.If I go to a WM that still has fabric I buy,so far no regrets. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 01-19-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by cowgirlquilter08
The difference between Wal-Mart fabric and your local quilt shop is the quality of the fabric it is printed on. You LQS has top quality first run fabrics. It may be the same print but it is a better quality fabric than what your chain stores get. Also from personal experience chain store fabrics lose their color after several washings. Just remember you get what you pay for.
That's probably true in some, maybe most, cases. Having said that, once you've made a quilt for everyone of your family and friends, many of us turn to charity quilts to keep us quilting. We can do that on our own dime when the fabric is low cost. I am making a quilt for my grand-nephew - lqs fabric was about $80. Then there is backing and batting to add on to the cost. I can't afford spend on fabric like that very often, so Walmarts' low cost fabrics are the answer. Bottom line - Walmart fabrics fill a need, and fills the need very nicely.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:32 PM

Also now that alot of my fabric comes from LQS,I can NOT always afford to make a queen size quilt,so I make more baby quilts and throws.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:38 PM

I purchase fabric at our WalMart but I do the feel test also and look through.

I have purchased cotton/poly that was nice too. It doesn't shrink as bad as 100% cotton.Since there are no Quilt Police I do it my way LOL
Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM

I shop for alot of my fabric at Walmart. Yes, I agree with everyone else that you can get the same exact fabric for a higher price and it is not of the same quality at the LQS. I have noticed that the lesser priced fabrics do not hold up and will shred. That is why I will buy the higher priced fabric from Walmart, and still come out ahead of the game.

I'll have to buy more totes for fabric now! :D
Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by MyraYU
Our local Walmart was going to close the fabric center, too. A lot of us got together and bombarded them at the main office with phone calls complaining about this. When they remodeled the store, they moved the fabric center and downsized it about 1/3, but it's still there! Make a stink! Call the main office -- complain -- make your voice heard. It will get results.
I agree wholeheartedly. I posted a message to this effect some time back. I think most of us appreciate WalMart for offering us quality products at better prices, including their fabric. While they may not carry the high end lines, they have until recently carried a wide variety of fabrics and notions and they were so convenient! That is why it was such a disappointment when they began phasing out their fabric departments, and all the more so for people living in small towns. I was just sick over it. We have 5 WalMarts in Pensacola, and I'm happy to say that after members of our guild and other sewing groups bombarded WalMart with phone calls, e-mails and talking with store managers, that 2 of our stores have said they will continue to carry fabric. We were so happy!!! I suggest that anyone who enjoys shopping for fabric at WalMart should keep up your efforts to encourage them to please continue to do so. Tell them you like it, that is one reason you shop there, and how much you miss it. I believe this is why we still have fabric departments in 2 of our stores. Sometimes we don't realize how much something has meant to us until we are suddenly without it!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 PM

I Love Me Some Wal-Mart! Fine Fabrics, as far as I'm concerned!!