Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart material >

walmart material

walmart material

Old 01-19-2011, 11:53 PM

No. Just keep your eye on the quality of it. It should be fine with that in mind.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:46 AM

Thank you for not bashing Wal-Mart. I have worked for them for almost 17 years and I just recently transferred to the fabric department as department manager. I buy a lot of my fabric there, but it is just like any other place, you just have to check out what you buy. I also have bought "quilt shop" material and have been unhappy with it. And as far as unfriendly employees, everyone should work retail at some point in their life. The other day I was working and I was asking one of my associates a question about work and a customer came up to me and said excuse me and asked me if we had any other types of this particular fabric and I said I don't believe we do. She walked away, turned around and came back to the table and threw her bolt of fabric at me and said she did not like my attitude and wanted to speak to my manager. I am the type of employee that I will bend over backwards for my customers and it really hurt me that she would even say that. She talked to them and came back and apologized to me saying she had just come out of KMart and had a bad experience.
Sorry to be so windy, but when you have dealt with an unhappy sales clerk, stop and think that possibly they have had a bad day. Still no excuse to be mean to people and I try very hard not to let the previous events bother me, but it does sometimes.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:48 AM

It takes all kinds to make the world go round.
When someone is rude to me for no reason, I try not to take it personally. As you discovered you don't always know what kind of a day that person has had.
I love the majority of the people who work at Walmart.
I always smile and have my favorites I joke with. I try to go out of my way to make someone smile if at all possible.
I miss the fabric department our Walmart used to have. It's gone about 8 months now.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 AM

I agree, that there is good and bad fabric at WalMart. And the very worst (and expensive) fabric that I've bought has come pricier sources!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 AM

After Christmas I bought 35 yards of Christmas fabric at WM for $35.00 including the tax. It was a great stash builder.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 AM

I have a decent amount of fabric from WM and a couple weeks ago I was in Fabric Depot and saw the exact same fabrics for twice the price (on sale)! I got so much more bang for my buck at WM. You do have to be careful though as some of the fabrics aren't as good quality as others.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:55 AM

Ditto to one and all :thumbup: walmart has been my choice for a very long time. the $1.50 thin material if washed then used makes good frayed quilts.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 AM

I buy a lot of fabric at Walmart. Have had a few (very few) that I wasn't all that happy with but I think I didn't stick to my own instincts when I bought it. I buy what I can afford, what I like or what I need to fill out a quilt fabric selection. Sometimes that last fabric to complete the look I'm after is an expensive LQS fabric. I quilt for family and friends only so after price the look of the finished item is my goal.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 AM

Yesterday I went to our local WalMart and as always checked the Fabric Dept. S. the very nice and knowledgeable dept. clerk told me about some just arrived Thomas Kinkade material. Bought some and it is washed and in the dryer. To my pleasant surprise it says David's on the selvedge. Didn't know of that brand, didn't look for it. I am soo pleased about what I have learned in this forum. Thanks, ladies (and men)
Old 01-20-2011, 10:29 AM

Me too.
Originally Posted by KathyAire
I have Walmart fabric in my stash. Some of their fabric is good and some isn't. If I see something I like, I feel it. If I like the way it feels, I buy, doesn't matter much to me where I'm buying it from.