Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart material >

walmart material

walmart material

Old 01-20-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by josiegirl
My local walmart still has material. It ranges in price from $1.50 to $6.00. Of course the $1.50 is not the thickest but the $3 - $4 seems to be nice. Am I missing something in looking at this material? They will be closing this section in about a year and I can really stock up on fabrics of all styles or am I wasting my money?
I bought lots of yardage from our Walmart when they were closing their department. I just selected what I thought was a substantial weight and quality fabric. Much of it feels like LQS fabric. Wish I had bought more!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:07 PM

I use it all the time...just check out the thickness and content...i actually have some good 100% cotton from there !!
Old 01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

I would check out the material and definately stock up. Cotton has gone up 80 % in the last year so our fabric is going up. I was hoping W/M was going to keep the material in the stores that had it and maybe going to bring it back to the stores like my 2 that lost it. :thumbdown:
Old 01-21-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lil Lulu
Hi from Georgia, I would love to have a fabric department in our town. There is none of any kind. It would be great if you would list your town in GA if your Walmart still has a fabric department. If it was a reasonable distance I would be spending the money I have squirred away.Thanks
Last time I checked Walmart in Pooler, GA had fabric.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:09 AM

I've bought good stuff and bad stuff at Walmart, JoAnnes, and the LQS. Bottom line: Buyer beware, check it out for content, straight grain, thickness,thread count, regardless of where you buy it.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:50 PM

hi the walmart store that has fabric is located in waynesboro ,GA.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
Poor Walmart! Do you think they have any idea how their products are looked down on by so many people? I shop there, and shop there often, and I can"t say I'Ve been sorry about anything I bought. I use my own good judgement about the products I buy. If I feel it isn't any good, I don't buy. I buy clothing for myself once in awhile, clothing for my little grandchildren, and shop there for some grocery . I"ve even bought fabric there many times, and I've never felt it was cheap, cheaper . yes, but not every piece is worthless. Trust your own judgement!! I've made quilts from quilt shops that faded out something terrible in a very short time, and it sure wasn't cheap! I don't own stock ( wish I did!), I just think they get bashed a little too much here.Just my opinion.
I agree with everything you said. I buy most all of my groceries at our WM, too.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I have Walmart fabric in my stash. Some of their fabric is good and some isn't. If I see something I like, I feel it. If I like the way it feels, I buy, doesn't matter much to me where I'm buying it from.
That is exactly the way I feel. I just finished a "Walmart" quilt and am very pleased with it.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:07 PM

We lost our fabric department on Dec. 31 and I am gonna dearly miss it. It was the only place to buy fabric in our town, the others are 20-30 min. away. I am just hoping they don't close those any time soon.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Walmart bashing seems to be a national pastime. I agree with the quote below. Use your own judgment about the feel and quality of the fabric.
Originally Posted by BettyB
Originally Posted by clem55
Poor Walmart! Do you think they have any idea how their products are looked down on by so many people? I shop there, and shop there often, and I can"t say I'Ve been sorry about anything I bought. I use my own good judgement about the products I buy. If I feel it isn't any good, I don't buy. I buy clothing for myself once in awhile, clothing for my little grandchildren, and shop there for some grocery . I"ve even bought fabric there many times, and I've never felt it was cheap, cheaper . yes, but not every piece is worthless. Trust your own judgement!! I've made quilts from quilt shops that faded out something terrible in a very short time, and it sure wasn't cheap! I don't own stock ( wish I did!), I just think they get bashed a little too much here.Just my opinion.
I agree with everything you said. I buy most all of my groceries at our WM, too.