Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: walmart material

My local walmart still has material. It ranges in price from $1.50 to $6.00. Of course the $1.50 is not the thickest but the $3 - $4 seems to be nice. Am I missing something in looking at this material? They will be closing this section in about a year and I can really stock up on fabrics of all styles or am I wasting my money?

Ive bought 5yds each of the $1.50 yd, believe it or not a lot of mine was pretty good. All I needed was backing for 3tops and found colors that would match. Washed and ironed today. They were getting a lot more fabric in. they could hardly shove them between other fabric. The button dept has expanded thats good sign. no talk of it closing here in rindge nh,

I have Walmart fabric in my stash. Some of their fabric is good and some isn't. If I see something I like, I feel it. If I like the way it feels, I buy, doesn't matter much to me where I'm buying it from.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I have Walmart fabric in my stash. Some of their fabric is good and some isn't. If I see something I like, I feel it. If I like the way it feels, I buy, doesn't matter much to me where I'm buying it from.
    Ditto!!! :thumbup:

Ditto! from me to when we had fabric in Walmart.

Blog Entries
    I buy David's Textile fabric at Walmart. It's very nice and it's under $3. It's better quality then the $5 and $6 fabric. Not all Walmarts sell David's Textiles so check the bolts. You can tell by the feel of it. The Quilter's Collection is a tad thinner then I like but I'll use it for projects like tablerunners. The print fabrics on the cotton wall seem to fade fast when washed and they are the higher priced. I seldom buy any of them. I like the flannel prints. They don't shrink that much either.

I buy lots of their 100% cotton fabric, as long as it looks and feels good. Their fabrics that are always $1.50 / yard list "unknown content" on the labels. I leave those fabrics there.

Blog Entries
    Poor Walmart! Do you think they have any idea how their products are looked down on by so many people? I shop there, and shop there often, and I can"t say I'Ve been sorry about anything I bought. I use my own good judgement about the products I buy. If I feel it isn't any good, I don't buy. I buy clothing for myself once in awhile, clothing for my little grandchildren, and shop there for some grocery . I"ve even bought fabric there many times, and I've never felt it was cheap, cheaper . yes, but not every piece is worthless. Trust your own judgement!! I've made quilts from quilt shops that faded out something terrible in a very short time, and it sure wasn't cheap! I don't own stock ( wish I did!), I just think they get bashed a little too much here.Just my opinion.

Blog Entries
    it's a hoot, really. the David's selling now at WalMart ($2.97 per yard at mine) is also selling at both of the big chain stores ($7.99 per yard). i've also seen it in quilt shops (in person and online) for $8.99 and $9.99 per yard.

no kidding. cross my heart. the exact same fabrics. at the same time.

guess where i buy mine? :lol:

our Walmart - despite saying they're shutting down the fabric department next month - has expanded the selection of manufacturers and price points. as always (and as can be the case in high end shops) some are stinkers and some are gems.

what fun - no matter where you're shopping - to find the gems for the best prices. :-)

Oh Boy. I better buy alot more totes. I see great amounts of fabric in my future! There are so many beautiful patterns at the $3 - $4 price. Walmart here I come!!!

I've had real good luck with Walmart fabric, some of it's kind of crummy, but then other stores have some crummy fabric too. Just feel it up - best way to know if you are getting the good, the bad, or the ugly.

Are Walmart is shutting down the fabric dept too. I really like ALOT of their fabric!

Blog Entries
    I agree with Patrice and others who said that you buy your fabric where you buy your fabric. I have some from Walmart that I can't tell apart from LQS stuff b/c it's the same, quality, name and all. WalMart does have its flaws but so do the LQS'.

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    Ditto!!! :thumbup:
    Same here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by josiegirl
    My local walmart still has material. It ranges in price from $1.50 to $6.00. Of course the $1.50 is not the thickest but the $3 - $4 seems to be nice. Am I missing something in looking at this material? They will be closing this section in about a year and I can really stock up on fabrics of all styles or am I wasting my money?
    While our local Walmart sold fabric I was able to get some really nice fabric there. My favorite quilt top is made of some I got there that I have seen in LQSs that cost a lot more there. I bought a few 1/2 yards of the thinner material to make doll clothes and wasn't very happy with it. It tended to shred a lot. I really miss the fabric Walmart used to sell because much of it was good quality and they had a wide variety of choices. Often they carried the whole series of some brands. Now I have to pay much higher prices at the LQS and JoAnn so I have to buy less fabric.

I really miss the home deco fabric at Walmart. I used to find beautiful deco fabrics to make things for my home. My kitchen table takes a 120" cloth with both leaves in the table. I would buy the home deco which is about 54" wide, 100% cotton(said to dry clean only??) Washed in washer and dryer, took out and never had to iron it. Didnt shrink and made beautiful tablecloths and napkins and other home items. Would be around $5/yd.

I always check out the fabric when I'm in our Walmart. I have gotten some decent fabric & home dec fabric there. Ours has a good sized fabric department too.

On another note, I was looking for buttons the other day & had to ask where they were & the woman in the department told me they had discontinued buttons! They used to have some good ones for cheap.

I buy fabric I like, i don't care where it is from. If I like it and it feels good and it is 100% cotton I will buy it. To me it as long as I am happy that is all that matters. I buy and quilt to make me happy and I dont need the highest priced fabric to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I buy David's Textile fabric at Walmart. It's very nice and it's under $3. It's better quality then the $5 and $6 fabric. Not all Walmarts sell David's Textiles so check the bolts. You can tell by the feel of it. The Quilter's Collection is a tad thinner then I like but I'll use it for projects like tablerunners. The print fabrics on the cotton wall seem to fade fast when washed and they are the higher priced. I seldom buy any of them. I like the flannel prints. They don't shrink that much either.
    I also have got lots of David Textiles at Wal-Mart. My LQS has the same fabrics for $6.99. I have noticed that the fabrics are coming in about 50 cents a yd higher and don't feel as nice as they did.

Blog Entries
    I miss the fabric department at my Wal-Mart.

Blog Entries
    If I wanted a fabric from WM, I would buy a small amount and wash it before buying very much. I got burned on a golden tan blender VIP fabric. It felt good until washed the sizing out, then I had to interface it in order to use it. The David's Textiles washed up fine, as has a black with a white rose from the $4.97 rack. Does anyone have the black/red Misty Rose from David's Textiles they'd like to sell? I hate to give up when I have all the others for the Misty Rose quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by clem55
    Poor Walmart! Do you think they have any idea how their products are looked down on by so many people? I shop there, and shop there often, and I can"t say I'Ve been sorry about anything I bought. I use my own good judgement about the products I buy. If I feel it isn't any good, I don't buy. I buy clothing for myself once in awhile, clothing for my little grandchildren, and shop there for some grocery . I"ve even bought fabric there many times, and I've never felt it was cheap, cheaper . yes, but not every piece is worthless. Trust your own judgement!! I've made quilts from quilt shops that faded out something terrible in a very short time, and it sure wasn't cheap! I don't own stock ( wish I did!), I just think they get bashed a little too much here.Just my opinion.

My thoughts exactly!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

There is nothing wrong with walmart fabric in my opinion. I do look for the thicker fabrics tho.

Before our Wal Mart stopped selling fabric I would buy there. There were some very nice fabric and I had no problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    I've had real good luck with Walmart fabric, some of it's kind of crummy, but then other stores have some crummy fabric too. Just feel it up - best way to know if you are getting the good, the bad, or the ugly.
    Same here. I have seen a lot of crummy fabric at other stores for 6.99 to 8.99 a yard.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast