Southern women - too cute

Old 04-09-2011, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by IT_Nana
Originally Posted by darlin121
As a true southern belle I can testify that all of the above is true HOWEVER not enough was said about football. Now football is not a sport down south, its more of a religion. From pee-wee football to High school ball on Friday nights and up through the big league... yep! College football (Roll Tide!) we take it dead serious!
And many of the high school football stadiums are nicer than the college ones up north!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:34 AM

Now...... Shugah, "If you're a Northern transplant,bless your little heart, fake it. We know you got here as fast as you could"

When I lived out in East Tennessee, this was the advise my mentor gave me just say "BLESS YOUR HEART, and no one will know your from the north"
Bless her heart, she tried...
Old 04-09-2011, 04:35 AM

I'm originally from Virginia and was raised on most of those "truisms" except that I still can't stand the taste...or non-taste of grits.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by cjaye44
I'm originally from Virginia and was raised on most of those "truisms" except that I still can't stand the taste...or non-taste of grits.
Well at least you aren't one of those anarchists from the mid-west who puts SUGAR on their grits like some kinda maniac. ;-) Try them again with an ounce of cream cheese and see what you think. If you still don't like them then, form into a patty and fry...YUM

As for the children of northerners transplanted to south land...if your cat had kittens in an oven we wouldn't call them biscuits...
Old 04-09-2011, 10:06 AM

With all this football talk going on, guess I have to do a shout out to Eastern Washington Eagles who won the NCAA Division I Football Championship Game!!! My DSD was a trainer for the football team! GO EAGLES!!!

I must admit I'll miss watching my DSS play football on Friday nights, since he graduates from high school this year. But I don't live for football...guess it's a good thing I don't live in the south (except for house/pet sitting in Florida right now). :lol:
Old 04-09-2011, 11:38 AM

THIS IS WONDERFUL. THANK YOU!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM

"I still can't stand the taste...or non-taste of grits"

Well, all I can say is "more for me"....

I think the best way to eat grits is with an egg.. of course the yolk is not cooked through... you mix it with the egg and dip your toast into it.....thanks for leaving more for me...

My daddy was from Denmark and wouldn't eat grits either.. I grew up in FL and no matter that it is South of the "other" states, I don't consider Fl Southern at all....
Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 PM

Oh my!

Y'all are making me hungry.

One of my favorites: Garlic cheese grits, grilled shrimp and fresh tomatoes. Yum!
Old 04-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rntraveler
"I still can't stand the taste...or non-taste of grits"

Well, all I can say is "more for me"....

I think the best way to eat grits is with an egg.. of course the yolk is not cooked through... you mix it with the egg and dip your toast into it.....thanks for leaving more for me...

My daddy was from Denmark and wouldn't eat grits either.. I grew up in FL and no matter that it is South of the "other" states, I don't consider Fl Southern at all....
It depends on where you are in FL. I grew up in south eastern part of the state and was born in the Keys but many of my friends and neighbors were transplants from New England (mostly Connecticut and Rhode Island) so learned both the middle GA stuff from Mama and the yankee stuff from them. We used to always say that you weren't actually in FL until you got below Orlando...the rest was just south GA ;-). When we moved to middle GA in the '70's all my cousins and friends wanted to know what part of New York I was from...til I told them by birthplace I was more southern than they!

Never got into the undercooked yolk though...we always ate them scrambled with cheese ;-). I had an uncle who would mix all the grits, eggs, and chopped up sausage into a mound in the middle of the plate and then after eating would clean the plate with cane syrup and biscuit.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:27 PM

...I had an uncle who would mix all the grits, eggs, and chopped up sausage into a mound in the middle of the plate and then after eating would clean the plate with cane syrup and biscuit.[/quote]

NOW THAT'S FINGER LICKIN' GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!