Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 04-21-2015, 11:36 AM

CD, Check out the E-bay auctions. Usually there are boxes of 12 of the cams for this machine. I won a bid on a set for $ .99 that I gave away. There are lots of these on the e-Bay site, but you may find them cheaper elsewhere. If the price is over $10, in my opinion, it's too much!

Jeanette
Old 04-21-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I agree, the Reverse is a good indicator of that time frame also
There's no reverse. Is the absence of a reverse what you mean?

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Very neat - I think the shuttle is a replacement part.
Yes that makes sense with the J stamp and all. I have a 1914 Singer 15 for parts if necessary but these Japanese parts are usually pretty good.

Last edited by manicmike; 04-21-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:36 PM
Banned

Actually no, I thought that the stitch length adjuster looked a LOT like the ones I have seen on early German machines that had reverse (F&R's)
Old 04-21-2015, 05:13 PM

Bah. The Pfaff. I have been stuck in one of those weeks where everything I do is going bad-lost screws, broken light bulbs, damaged parts, ultimate fail. I may need to set on my laurels until this passes.+

In the meantime I did touch that Pfaff 332. The inner cup to the tension piece is broken at the center strap. I tried JB Weld yesterday but after letting it sit 24 hours it broke anyway as soon as I tried using it. I tried taking it to a metal shop in town and they silver soldered it. No. That didn't hold either.

I put that aside and decided to re-wire a lamp I picked up at a yard sale. I managed to break the old socket and later broke the light bulb. I did finally get it re-wired but have decided I had better call it a day!

*I need to do more research on the tension parts for the 332. I am wondering if the parts I have are all the correct parts or if something was substituted down the line.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:07 AM

*Update I couldn't keep my hands off the Pfaff. I HAD bought a tension off that auction site that was for a Pfaff 229..looked EXACTLY the same so I took a chance..it arrived and wasn't exactly like the one in the machine BUT..I tinkered anyway. I couldn't exchange parts back and forth and make it work so finally decided to just use the complete works and have managed to get a working tension device that appears correct. It needed a lot of adjusting and the spring needed some bending..not at all like my experience has been with Singer tensions but WORKING is good.

I have sewing planned with the girls today but look forward to shoving some fabric under those feet and attempting the patterns later.

Wouldn't it be nice if I could just polish this baby and have smooth sailing from here? I must be dreaming...
Old 04-22-2015, 11:36 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if I could just polish this baby and have smooth sailing from here? I must be dreaming...
I'm rooting for you, Christy! I do find the Pfaffs a little more challenging with their upper tensioners too. I think it was a 362 that I fought for an hour or more on. I'm still convinced that it had a piece missing too. I seem to recall an "updated" diagram in one of the Pfaff Yahoo groups. It looked pretty much identical to what I'd figured out eventually on my own. Coulda saved myself an hour and about 20 blood pressure points..
Old 04-22-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Actually no, I thought that the stitch length adjuster looked a LOT like the ones I have seen on early German machines that had reverse (F&R's)
I found a Seidel and Naumann which has identical name and font but was a VS: I think it'll be by the same manufacturer.
Definitely doesn't have reverse, the lever stops going vertical at '0'.
A German MOP 15 clone is pretty rare. With reverse it would have to be unique!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:58 PM

Nice get on the MOP machine Mike!
CD your 403 should take the black Singer tophat cams. They were used from the 400 series machines through the 600 series Touch & Sews. Cams are a dime a dozen if you're not worried about the correct accessory box. I'm not sure if T&S needle plates interchange with 400 series machines though. I'm guessing not because some of the biggest changes between the machines were in the bobbin area.
Rodney
Old 04-23-2015, 08:52 AM

Just checked, and the 403 takes the same needle plates as the 600/603 and probably the later 600 T&S machines, but not the 700 series machines.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:50 PM

Good to know! Thanks.
I'll take a look. There's a chance I have an extra needle plate that will fit here then.
Rodney

FREE Quilting Newsletter