Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 05-13-2015, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
This is definately a 412G, looks like an economy version of your 411G with the fin on the upper left, same tension set-up, extra loop guide near the thread takeup, internal motor, and the odd pull slide for the bobbin winder. It does not use removeable cams. The top piece of the housing is a yellowish caramel color, but the rest is the creamy mocha color. It has the knock-out for a treadle, but sits in a same color pan that the case latches to. What I'm guessing is the thread guide for the bobbin winder is more of a stripped down version than what is on your 411G, and there is not a shiny metal post just back of that bobbin winder slide as is in your's. There is no feed-dog drop that I can see. On the light housing, it says Singer. Horizontally above the light housing are three sets of slots; left to right, the first one has 5 numbered settings, probably needle placement. Second horizontal slot has two sliding knobs that unscrew to move. The third slot is for three different zigzag settings. The foot pedal on this one looks more like the accelerator pedal in an old car. Oh, and just to make everything more interesting, I found a set-screw rattling around inside the bottom. I put a few drops of oil in it when I first got it, haven't sewn with it yet, but it does move freely. I know, you all like pictures, but I don't have the camera to take them.

Finally, used the right search terms. There are photos at toolfool.org/sewing/German-400.htm
That is a very strange version of these machines! It's almost like an update to the 404A (more stitches) but chain stitch capable. Which country are you in and finding these machines?

None of the Slants that we're talking about have feed dogs that drop. They all have "elevator plates" that raise up, except the open arm machines... they have switchable raised plates. I did FMQ on the 431G for a little bit - a few minutes - and just set the stitch length to 0 and went for it - no changing of the plates or anything. I say oil her up and give her a go. These machines love being used.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
A friend brought a machine by and dropped it off with the wife a couple of days ago. The note on it says “Bad Tension”.

So, I put it on the bench, scolded the heck out of it, and put it in “time out” for a few days.....(can’t paddle them anymore, can you?)....

CD in Oklahoma
Oh to heck with it! Spank the machine. That way when it grows up it understands the concept of consequences. But spank it, don't beat it. Miriam demonstrated beating a machine... that sort of crossed a line.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
you put a machine in TIME OUT???? I think I would rather just deal with tension but then again I have been - old people - closely related - worst kind of tension........... you can't spank them or put them in time out BUT I can cook broccoli.... and I like broccoli...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519641[/ATTACH]

Nothing wrong with broccoli... except maybe that one little bit that insists on getting stuck in between your teeth.
Attached Thumbnails spankgrandma.jpg  
Old 05-14-2015, 03:41 AM

Putting the Bad Tension machine in “time out” gives me time to look over the Singer 401G that recently moved in with us. I’ve been wanting to get a 400-series German machine for a long time, just to say I have one, and to experiment with. I’ve been reading back through the threads here when Miriam and others were discussing their 401G machines (2013?).

elan’s link to toolfool was timely as well. It’s the first time that I’ve seen the grooved handwheel on a 401G. And, I didn’t even know that the ones that went out as a treadle had a belt guard on the front on the machine (mine’s an electric portable).

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine582_07.jpg  
Old 05-14-2015, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

Congrats CD - you are going to love it.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
That is a very strange version of these machines! It's almost like an update to the 404A (more stitches) but chain stitch capable. Which country are you in and finding these machines?

None of the Slants that we're talking about have feed dogs that drop. They all have "elevator plates" that raise up, except the open arm machines... they have switchable raised plates. I did FMQ on the 431G for a little bit - a few minutes - and just set the stitch length to 0 and went for it - no changing of the plates or anything. I say oil her up and give her a go. These machines love being used.
I'm in that country SW of you and close enough to Willapa Bay to constantly battle moisture. Most of my purchases have been in Centralia, WA, or Warrenton, OR. I was perfectly happy with a main sewing machine and a back-up, not to mention G. Grandma's redeye, and two goodwill featherweights, but then I was asked to go over an older Kenmore that was going to a 4-H member. Now I lurk on here and answer those siren songs as I walk through thrift stores. I really don't repair, just do a bit of housekeeping and lube.

As for the Singer Slant 412G, it does not have the lever to elevate the needle plate, saying "drop the feed dogs" was my mistake. Since the day I picked up a 301A with all it's accessories taped up inside the harp, $7.98 (my favorite machine), I've had a hard time walking past any of those beige or brownish colored earlier slants. Usually it is a choice between playing with a machine or sewing, and playing usually wins. People give me machines when they learn what I do.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post

I'm in that country SW of you and close enough to Willapa Bay to constantly battle moisture. Most of my purchases have been in Centralia, WA, or Warrenton, OR. I was perfectly happy with a main sewing machine and a back-up, not to mention G. Grandma's redeye, and two goodwill featherweights, but then I was asked to go over an older Kenmore that was going to a 4-H member. Now I lurk on here and answer those siren songs as I walk through thrift stores. I really don't repair, just do a bit of housekeeping and lube.

As for the Singer Slant 412G, it does not have the lever to elevate the needle plate, saying "drop the feed dogs" was my mistake. Since the day I picked up a 301A with all it's accessories taped up inside the harp, $7.98 (my favorite machine), I've had a hard time walking past any of those beige or brownish colored earlier slants. Usually it is a choice between playing with a machine or sewing, and playing usually wins. People give me machines when they learn what I do

just an addition: This 412G came from the Tacoma, WA, Goodwill. Tacoma has Ft. Lewis and McChord AFB, now known as Joint Base Lewis, McChord, so that could explain the German made machine.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post

As for the Singer Slant 412G, it does not have the lever to elevate the needle plate, saying "drop the feed dogs" was my mistake. Since the day I picked up a 301A with all it's accessories taped up inside the harp, $7.98 (my favorite machine), I've had a hard time walking past any of those beige or brownish colored earlier slants. Usually it is a choice between playing with a machine or sewing, and playing usually wins. People give me machines when they learn what I do

just an addition: This 412G came from the Tacoma, WA, Goodwill. Tacoma has Ft. Lewis and McChord AFB, now known as Joint Base Lewis, McChord, so that could explain the German made machine.
Yeah, that's how I started too, now I'm certified to do warranty work for one of the manufacturers. I started by accident as well. DH bought me a featherweight when he saw how taken I was with the first one I ever saw ("It's So Cute!".... "It Sews too!?!?!?") at our sewing group so it's his fault really. Not to mention he's an enabler. My first "on purpose" acquisition was a 403A, then a 15-91, then... well you know how that goes. He was actually stunned when I passed over a Centennial featherweight last weekend and offered it to a customer instead. He was already reaching for the bank card. She'd been looking for ages and I have 3 other featherweights (though not a centennial) For the first couple of years, I played more than I sewed and now I'm starting to even that out. My studio has space I can clear to service instead of my shop having space I could clear to sew. That started when Lucey arrived.

I bet you're right about how that machine made it into the US. I hear about the 401G but not many of the others showing up "down there". I got my hands on my 6th or 7th 411G in about 2 or a little more years last week. After featherweights, they're probably the most likely to cross my bench. Technically, as far as machines I've owned, I think I've had more of the German machines than the Featherweights.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:33 PM

After thinking it over, I decided that leaving the “Bad Tension” sewing machine in “time-out” for several days might be a little harsh, so I thought that I would try to reason with it today. Its caretaker had said that she had tried that numerous times without success. That’s why she had sought outside help, but I thought that I needed to at least try.

Just as I suspected, nothing had improved with the “Bad Tension” machine’s attitude at all during the short time-out. It still had its Bad Tension, and while I was trying to calmly explain how a Bad Tension was not good and could cause problems for it down the road, I noticed the smarty little smirk on its face plate. I guess that since it had a nice drop-in bobbin, it felt like it was something special. Well, that did it for me!

Enraged, and with all of the other machines in the shop looking on, I grabbed the machine rather roughly, removed its needle plate, whipped out its bobbin case, and bared its tension spring area for all to see. The cat-calls and laughter from the other machines was deafening.

Sure enough, right there, for e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e to see, was a wad of thread stuck in its tension spring. That’s just what I had suspected all along. Well, the Bad Tension machine, of course, was embarrassed beyond words, but the peer pressure had done its magic. The Bad Tension machine allowed me to remove the wad of thread from its tension spring, and I could see a definite improvement in its attitude almost immediately.

Sometimes, you just have to be forceful and assert authority. Perhaps tomorrow, I’ll take the “Not so Bad Tension” machine for a test-sew to confirm that indeed, the unfavorable attitude is no longer an issue, and cooperation will ensue.

Note: Model Name and Model Number have not been disclosed due to the delicate nature of the situation. There may be others out there with similar names and numbers that could possibly be tempted to adapt a Bad Tension attitude in a “copy-cat” fashion.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

"I noticed the smarty little smirk on its face plate."
CD that was your reflection in the chrome..........
Have you tried brewing up some Tension Tamer Tea???
Old 05-16-2015, 06:41 AM

See if you can teach Miss SmartyWad to spit out her thread snarls or you'll stick them on her Nose!

FREE Quilting Newsletter