Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sewing-Friendly Bedroom Rearranging >

Sewing-Friendly Bedroom Rearranging

Sewing-Friendly Bedroom Rearranging

Old 03-02-2011, 06:08 AM

When space is at a premium, finding attractive room solutions can be tricky! I currently live with my parents and, with the present state of things, I don't see myself moving out in the foreseeable future. We have a tiny house, made larger by an addition so that my brother and I could have separate rooms many years ago. My modestly sized room is my space, and it is also the only space I have to work with that I can actively change to suit my needs.

Sewing is a hassle in our house. The only usable surface for a sewing machine is the dining room table, and my Dad has issues with the sewing machine being out overnight to clutter up the table. I tend to go back and forth from a project as I have time. These facts were reasonably incompatible and the source of some tension.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...-s1g3&aql=&oq=

So! I've purchased a miniature craft/sewing armoire for a space in my room which should double as a small surface on which I can sew! It probably won't fit my sewing machine inside of it, but that's fine. I can store the machine elsewhere. Just having a usable surface that I can fold away and which also doubles as attractive storage for my sewing supplies will be so very worth it. I don't need a lot of space - just somewhere flat where I can sit the machine and pull up a chair. It will also match my desk. Gotta love coordination. And I got almost $20 off thanks to online coupons.

With the armoire coming today, I had to empty out the piece of decorative furniture previously sitting in its small spot. This prompted me to seriously think about my collection and decide which pieces were special and which weren't. This prompted a consideration of the rest of the space.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...35&R=202104735

All of this thought prompted the decision to purchase two stackable cube-styled storage containers! I can put all of my fabric in the cubes instead of just stacking inaccessible totes in my corner, as well as use some as a bookshelf (which I've been lacking for a while) and for pet supply storage. I'm hugely excited to be making my space both more functional for my present needs and more attractive.

I just wanted to have a squee at some people who will really understand the value of an organized space and who will appreciate my desire for easier crafting!
Old 03-02-2011, 06:17 AM

Sounds like you found some great solutions for yourself! The pieces look great. :)

Have fun with it!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:19 AM

I love the cube containers. Wish I had a reason to purchase a few for myself but I have other solutions already in place. Good luck with your venture. It sounds like you are on the right track to satisfying your needs and honoring your parents' needs, as well.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:23 AM

Dad won't be especially thrilled with having to store the piece of furniture that was previously placed in the corner, as he's very protective of the garage as his "man cave", but that will be a passing thing. Having a clean, organized craft area will be helpful for Mom as well! She runs into the same problem with setting up on the dining room table.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:50 AM

Love the cubes, I think it will be awesome.............might have to check this out myself and add those polkadot baskets on some of the shelfs :D