Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I bought the comic book boards. >

I bought the comic book boards.

I bought the comic book boards.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I decided to try them to use to fold my fat quarters and keep them neat. They are thin but sturdy enough for at least a yard of fabric to be stored upright. I think I'll stack them flat since I'm folding fat quarters on them. I got 100 acid free white boards at Amazon for about $15. They were called Silver boards, I don't know what difference the color name makes, some were labeled Gold. I could have gotten them cheaper elsewhere but DH has Amazon Prime so I get two day shipping free on anything so it was cheaper there. (Check out the Prime shipping for a one time yearly fee. It saves mes lots of shipping cost) These are really nice boards to have for lots of things. Templates, school projects, tote bottoms, etc.

I have boxes of fat quarters and have no idea the best way to store them so I know what I have. I'll give this a try until I run out of shelf space.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:12 PM

Bella would love to see a pic when you get them wrapped.. I have just been using clean plastic totes for mine..
Happy Stitchin' Linda B.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:12 PM

I have used these and gotten up to 4 yards with one board. I also cut my 8.5 x 10 inches in 4 and then did my fat quarters. It makes my little sewing area look so much neater and I was actually able to "shop" from my stash for the first time last week!
Old 03-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Find a comic book store in your area, they run between $6.99 & 8.99 per 100. They also have long, narrow boxes to stack them in $3.99. I have been toying with the idea of standing them upright on my shelves and lay the fat quarters all the way up. I have adjustable shelves and could fit 5 boxes wide and I think they are 15-18" tall. would look so neat.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

They also sell them on Ebay. I'm going to get some, like maybe a million lol
Old 03-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

The names "Silver Age", "Golden Age" and "Current" refer to the size of comic book the boards are made to back. The very old comics (from the "Golden Age" of comics) are the biggest. The new comics today ("current" ) are much narrower. The "Silver Age" was a time in between, when the width of the comics was in between Golden and Current. You can wind fabric on any of them-- they are all the same length, just different widths.

These are perfect for 42" wide fabrics. You fold them in half, lengthwise, like they come on the bolt, and then fold that in half again, so they end up half as wide. That is just about the same measurement as the longest side of the boards, so you can wind your fabric around them and they fit just perfectly. It's a cool idea!

Fabric Bolts on Comic Boards
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169424[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-169419.jpe  
Old 03-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Warning: They are heavy to ship! It would be cheaper for you to look up a comic book store within driving distance and go pick up what you need. I didn't even know we had a comic store here until I looked online and found there were several! I got packages of 100 boards for $8, including tax, at the local comic store.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:01 PM

I bought mine off ebay and the shipping was reasonable. I'm sure it depends on who you are buying them from.

I sure do like "shopping" in my stash!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-111355.jpe  
Old 03-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Warning: They are heavy to ship! It would be cheaper for you to look up a comic book store within driving distance and go pick up what you need. I didn't even know we had a comic store here until I looked online and found there were several! I got packages of 100 boards for $8, including tax, at the local comic store.
Oh yes~! Good idea :) Thanks!

Deb, I want to shop at your house lol
It looks fantastic! :)
Old 03-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by debp33
I bought mine off ebay and the shipping was reasonable. I'm sure it depends on who you are buying them from.

I sure do like "shopping" in my stash!
Very nice! Where did you find those great shelves and dividers?