ebook readers

Old 05-06-2011, 12:41 PM

I have a sony EReader. I love it, even though I am a very tactile person and love the feel of real books. I can get books from the library and have them for 21 days before they expire (no more late fines!) The Sony Reader store has thousands of books and even has free ones! If you want to get books from the library, check with them to see what readers are compatible with their system.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:31 PM

I bought the Nook because you can borrow books from the library on it and you couldn't the Kindle. It's my understanding that I can only buy Nook books from B&N and Kindle books from amazon
Old 05-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Love my Kindle and cannot wait until I can get my library books as well. For me that was the only drawback.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:05 PM

I have the nook color and love it. You can download PDF files onto it too. I have a few craft books I have gotten for free. They just made it so we can have different apps on it too. So now we can download the kindle app and purchase those books too. I get mostly free books though.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:44 AM

I've had a kindle for several months now and love it. One feature I love is that the battery lasts for a whole month!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:55 AM

I downloaded the free Kindle for PC onto my laptop. I love it. We just got a new Ipad and I downloaded the free Kindle to it and I can read books from either one. When I read from the laptop and bookmark it and then go to my IPad, it picks up where I bookmarked on the laptop. That's cool! I have downloaded a lot of the free books for Kindle and have had some very good reading.
Marie
Old 05-07-2011, 04:31 AM

There was a thread just a week or two on this that I'll bet can be found and you might find helpful.

I bought a Nook with 3G and WiFi a year ago and loved it. My DH got a NookColor for me for Christmas and I LOVE iT. The NC is touch screen and backlit so you can read in the dark. Other Nooks and the Kindle have to have a light source. My sister is borrowing my first Nook and she can read all of the books I have on it and any I add and vice versa, because I kept both Nooks on one acct. One account can have,I believe, 6 devices on it such as multiple ereaders, PC, I phone or I pad. I do most of my reading in bed at night it is perfect for that. And the download is free on the devices. Most importantly, if I have questions or problems I can go to a Barnes and Noble and talk to a human face-to-face. Our local B&N has a weekly forum/class for Nook users.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:55 AM

For those who want to download ebooks from your library, please check with the library first to make sure that they are set up for this service. I'm on the library board in a small town. We are going through the steps to get set up for downloading ebooks but it takes awhile.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:08 AM

I have a Kindle and love it. I prefer reading on it though I still have many paper books. I have nearly 200 books on it and am able to take my library with me wherever I go. I also prefer reading without a backlight- It's easier on the eyes and if I want to read with a backlight, I can use my Blackberry or laptop. I rarely do that though. I have a Kindle cover that has a light in it and I love that too. It runs off of the Kindle battery so I don't need to worry about batteries for the light or a way to carry it. The battery life on the Kindle is excellent. I remember reading about the people that were stranded on that cruise ship last year- the IPads, laptops and mobile phones were quickly without power while those with Kindles were able to read the whole time they were stranded. There is a wonderful online board called Kindleboards for the best information anywhere.

We are a 3 Kindle family by the way.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:29 AM

With the IPAD 1 being sold at $300/350. and it does everything a Kindle or Nook does plus the web, email etc. Why pay $165.+ for a Nook or Kindle. I have both apps. on my IPAD, backlit, wi-fi, 16G. I can lay in bed at night and answer all of my emails, I charge it twice a week, because I use it alot. I couldn't live without it. My schedule and journal are on it plus pictures of all of my quilts. It's like a diary on steroids. LOL