ebook readers

Old 05-07-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Does anyone have a Kindle or other ebook reader? If so, what do you like/dislike about the one you have? Can you download books from Amazon if you have any ebook or does it have to be a Kindle?
I'm just starting to look into these, so any advise is appreciated.
I have had a Kindle for 2 years now. I download from Amazon and Audible.com, and will be able to use the library this fall. Lots to pick from. By the way...love, love, love my Kindle.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:16 PM

I have the Nook Color and love it! I have been downloading library books regularly and have purchased very few. Also, Barnes and Noble has Free Fridays, when you can download a book for free (may not always be what you like though). They also have a ton of free books to download from their site.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM

My husband bought me a tablet computer put out by elocity and so far I love it! I can read books put out by Kindle, Nook and a few others I haven't even begun to look at! It has the smaller screen and this makes me really happy. I didn't want a big screen like the Ipad. There are many tablet computers coming out in the very near future so this will make for many choices! Good luck!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:31 PM

I get books in pdf format from many sites. Since the nook color has pdf capabilities. I think the nook has it also.
Originally Posted by judyhh
where do you get the free ones? I have a nook also. I like it but I also love my books :lol:
Old 05-07-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Love angels
I get books in pdf format from many sites. Since the nook color has pdf capabilities. I think the nook has it also.
Originally Posted by judyhh
where do you get the free ones? I have a nook also. I like it but I also love my books :lol:
My DH has the regular Nook and he can download books in PDF format.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:24 AM

I have a Kindle and love it. There were a lot of messages about this on the Board a couple of weeks ago that you might want to check.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:55 AM

I'm a little confused? Why would it be desirable to download books in PDF format. I guess, from what I've been reading here, my Nook and NookColor do that but why would I want to? Is there a benefit?

And to the people asking about free books. Books that are in the public domain (copyright expired, if I understand correctly) are available for free or at a nominal price. I think on the Nooks where you search for books and have the option of putting in a price range for your search, you put
0.00. Somebody already mentioned the Free Fridays.

And some asked how to download library books. I'm sure it depends on what program your library uses if there is more than one. But the library staff should be able to tell you what to do. My library doesn't have theirs up and running yet, but I have volunterred to be a "super-user" to help the patrons with learning how to use it.