Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/2 sq triangles and flying geese question >

1/2 sq triangles and flying geese question

1/2 sq triangles and flying geese question

Old 10-28-2008, 08:17 AM

Someone on the board posted a diagram (drawing) of how to make 1/2 sq triangles using 2 large pieces of fabric. I printed it out, and of course, now I can't find it. Does anyone remember this post? I didn't bookmark it either, this time I will!

Also, has anyone seen the way that Eleanor Burns makes the flying geese where she takes two pieces of fabric (one is smaller than the other) and gets 4 flying geese out of it? Do you know if there is a formula using this method to figure out how to get the unfinished size of the flying geese you want to make?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:36 AM

Oh! I hope someone knows the answer to these questions!
Old 10-28-2008, 08:39 AM

I don't know where the previous post is, but maybe this will help you.

Take your finished size of 1/2 square triangles (let say 6" square just to have a number to work with). Add 7/8 in to this for 6 7/8". Cut your two fabrics at 6 7/8". Lay them on top of each other right sides together. Draw a diagonal line between opposite corners. Sew 1/4 inch on both sides of the line. Cut on the line and you should have 2 squares that are 6 1/2" inches.

If you try this one time and you're not getting 6 1/2 inches but are really close, you can cut the squares at 7" and trim excess.

There is a way to do this with LARGE pieces of fabric. You will need to draw a grid using the measurements from the steps above, draw your diagonals in one direction, sew, then cut on all drawn lines. Remember, every square in the grid yields 2 half-square triangle units. Keep that in mind when figuring how many to do.

If I could reply with a pic, I would. Hope I didn't completely confuse you.

Don't know about the flying geese method.... sorry....
Old 10-28-2008, 09:48 AM

I have a way of making 8 half-square triangles at the same time and how to make 4 flying geese. If you go to http://www.appliquequiltdesigns.com/...lt-Blocks.html This page will direct you to the two pages on half-square triangles and flying geese. Hope this helps you
Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 AM
bj

Here's ShellyQ's tutorial for hst's. http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/8342.page

Check out some of the other tutorials in that section. They're all pretty good!

When I make flying geese, I make a rectangle the finished size I want the goose to be. For example 3.5x6.5". Then I cut 2 3.5" squares and draw a diagonal line corner to corner on the back of each square. Put one square on the end of the rectangle, right sides of fabric together with the diagonal line starting at the lower outside corner and angling up and in. Sew on the line, trim to 1/4" seam allowance. When you fold the triangle up, it should complete the rectangle and form one side of the goose. Repeat with the other side. Your squares should overlap about 1/4" above the point of the goose, allowing for joining together with other pieces or blocks without losing your point.

I'm editing to add a document that has the method that Rose Marie is describing. I think :) . I've never used it, though, so can't swear by how fast or easy it is.

fast flying geese
[ATTACH=CONFIG]57471[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Attachment-57471.doc (31.5 KB, 187 views)
Old 10-28-2008, 10:15 AM

For 2 1/2 half sqs use two 6 in squares. Use 8 in for 3 1/2. Just add 2 in for each size. You do have to square up after cutting. Draw an x thru sqares with right sides togather. Sew 1/4 in on both sides of lines.
Cut at the half way of sq both ways then cut on drawn lines. You will have 8 half sqares.Example for 6 in sq cut at 3in on both sides of sq.
For flying geese you take the size you want the lenght to be and add 1 1/2 in for the first square then add another 1 1/2 in for the second square.
The larger sq is the points.
You should be able to watch El Burns video for flying geese on her web site.
It is really simple but hard to explain without pictures.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by appliquequiltdesigns
I have a way of making 8 half-square triangles at the same time and how to make 4 flying geese. If you go to http://www.appliquequiltdesigns.com/...lt-Blocks.html This page will direct you to the two pages on half-square triangles and flying geese. Hope this helps you
Looks like a good site!
Old 10-28-2008, 11:07 AM

My favorite method for flying geese :!: This ruler was worth every penny!!
http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/books.php

With this method there is absolutely NO waste in fabric. The trick is to remember that the measurements on the ruler are finished sizes.
Sometimes if forget and the geese are to big. I'll have to think up a project for my oversize geese. :wink:
Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 PM

Sorry you weren't able to get into the site. Try is this way http://www.appliquequiltdesigns.com. This is the home page. On the side bar click "Quilt Blocks". Then click on half-square triangles and flying geese. Hope this helps.

Janie
Old 10-29-2008, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by appliquequiltdesigns
Thanks so much for this link!! I was going crazy trying to figure out how to make a 12" block using 4 triangles (or "quarter square triange) ....... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: