Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help I need a quick idea >

Help I need a quick idea

Help I need a quick idea

Old 06-21-2011, 05:18 AM

Not that I don't already have enough on my plate but...... I need to come up with an idea for a signature quilt. We are hosting a 70th anniversary party for my in-laws on Saturday. And guess what my DH wants..... A signature quilt instead of a guess book. There is no way I can pull that off. But If i came up with the block maybe I could place a portion of the block around the room and put it together later. anybody have any ideas?
Old 06-21-2011, 05:27 AM

When my dad got married I cut out muslin hearts for signature blocks to later be appliqued onto a background -- unfortunately I was in a hurry (last minute idea here too) and didn't think to fuse the webbing on before I cut the hearts -- so it is still a UFO.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:37 AM

I would do a rail fence, with muslin in the middle for the signatures. You can strip piece the blocks and cut them, press freezer paper to the back of the muslin strip for signing. Then all you would have to do is sew them together.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:47 AM

The 10 Minute Block
- fast
- room for lots of signatures

This was done for a 90th birthday. She loved it!!

At the party, I sat at the door at a "guest book table" used pigma pens and had ironed freezer paper to the back of the blocks to stabilize the writing areas. After it was quilted and bound, the lady relived the party and could recall those who attended.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:00 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Here's one we did for the shop I owned. It's just a snowballed block -- two corners of the base square snowballed. You can do that part later even. Just fuse freezer paper to the back through the diagonal middle where you want the guests to write, and hand them out with a Pigma pen.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails attachment-214763.bmp  
Old 06-21-2011, 07:37 AM

If you have the book Two from one Jelly Roll Quilts pg 35. I'm doing this in dog fabric now and the center which is two inchs wide could be you signature space. The block is 5 strips wide,2.5inch strip sewed to a 1 1/4 inch strip, then two inch strip,then 1 1/4 inch strip, then 2.5 inch strip. Do 5 strip units and then cut them into six 7 inch segments.Lay out blocks by alternate block 90 degrees and sew five blocks across and 6 rolls, add borders.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 AM

If you hand out just the strips to be autographed make sure you mark your margins!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by lbaillie
Not that I don't already have enough on my plate but...... I need to come up with an idea for a signature quilt. We are hosting a 70th anniversary party for my in-laws on Saturday. And guess what my DH wants..... A signature quilt instead of a guess book. There is no way I can pull that off. But If i came up with the block maybe I could place a portion of the block around the room and put it together later. anybody have any ideas?
This idea may be a bit juvenile for an anniversary quilt, but what about cutting out white/off white/whatever blocks and passing around the crayons that can be ironed on. Generally they are meant to be used on paper and then ironed on to the fabric, but you can color directly to the fabric, cover with paper and iron to make permenant. (lifesaver since any lettering or numbering has to be mirror image when using the paper) Later you might add sashing or patterned blocks in between. (Crayola makes them and JoAnn's sells them, as well as some other places)
Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 AM

the latest- august issue- of Quilter's World has a signature quilt on the cover and the instructions inside. this one is 48" x 54". It has an applique for two blocks, but a picture of the couple could be used there and not have to applique. you might give that a try.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

I really like to use the Basket-weave Strings pattern from Bonnie Hunter's www.quiltville site. Instead of strings, I used all 2 inch muslin strips for the signatures. An easy pattern that looks super when put together on point. Go over and have a look and see if this would work for you.