Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
opinions please >

opinions please

opinions please

Old 12-01-2008, 01:01 PM

Hi Everyone,
It has been a while since I have been on this sight. I had to have a hysterectomy two weeks ago and have not been doing much of anything. I did get my in-laws quilt done for Christmas. And another one is in the hoop!! I will post pictures of the quilts I have done for Christmas when my husband is home to help.

Now for the opinion part. I am thinking of starting a quilting business. My husband is all for it. I am researching quilting machines. Eventually I would like to add custom embroidery.
We have a huge building that we are going to put my shop in. One third of it is my husbands wood shop and one third will be storage, etc. The other third we are going to finish off for the shop. So my husband drew up these plans. I will attach it , hopefully as a pic, if not as a pdf.
We would like you opinion on the layout. Don't be nice! LOL His words not mine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-57656.pdf (66.5 KB, 115 views)
Old 12-01-2008, 01:20 PM

i have no experience with starting a business, but good luck to you. Have you been quilting for other people :D
Old 12-01-2008, 01:24 PM

I have only quilted for other people as gifts, by hand. My plan is to buy the machine and practice practice practice while we are having the shop completed. Hopefully I will get the machine this month, and we won't start on the shop until at least April. My husband has all the experience we need to start a business. He is an MBA. Good for business bad for me trying to go over the budgets. LOL
Old 12-01-2008, 01:26 PM

Wow looks fab! Love all the lighting can never have enough light. The tables on wheels great idea. The room looks well set up as far as I could see. I'm jealous and much luck to you! :mrgreen:
Old 12-01-2008, 01:29 PM

That's awesome to embark on such an undertaking. Lots to plan and research.

Do you think you might use a second wheeled work table? Or even a bit wider?

The only other thing that jumped in my head was if you intend on having it open for clients/public, the entry door may have to be widened to comply with codes for the disabled access.

Do you have a time frame as to when you'd like to be open for business?

Have fun and post more!

Hope you're recovery is without complications!

(Looks like you posted as I was mulling this response over.)
Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 PM

Cresha, the layout looks really doable. But I have a few questions: where will people pay you? Are you going to put in a cash register?? Will people be able to come in and watch you while you quilt? Will you "rent" out your machine to other people? Will you be selling fabric/backing/batting, etc.? Will you be having classes? Where the heck is the restroom???

Looks like you have a lots of space with lots of lighting!!!

I admire your courage in doing this!!! Here's wishing you LUCK :!: :!: :!:
Old 12-01-2008, 01:32 PM

There is a big overhead door that can be opened if more space is needed. If i need another work, table, I will borrow one from my husbands shop.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:38 PM

The office will be where they will pay me. And no people will not watch me quilt. But if they want to see the quilt machine, that will be fine. At first I don't plan on selling anything other than the quilting or quilts that I have made. I have thought about renting out the machine but I am not sure I like that idea. I would have to stand there and watch, (just my nature) and I wouldn't want someone watching me quilt. I may eventually have classes. The bathroom? LOL Well if someone has to go that bad, they can use the one in my house, which is right inside the utility room. They walk in the door and they are there. They do not need to go into my house. We have already discussed this. If they don't want to walk to the house, well they can go into the woods right around the corner i guess
Old 12-01-2008, 04:33 PM

might want to think about shadows being cast by the overhead lighting.......it could make it hard to see if you are following markings on the quilts......
might be better to have the quilting area centered under a light rather than have them off to the sides.........just my opinion.. : )
Old 12-01-2008, 04:45 PM

Cresha:

Why don't you contact Jacquemoe and ask her input of your lay out and if she would have done anything different since she has started her quilting business.

Your lay out looks great to me. Just make sure there are no shadows and you have plenty of room to move around.

As far as renting out your machine.....................I would get my business up and running and then maybe find a different machine to rent to the public. There is nothing more frustrating than to start using your machine and find the person who used it before you messed it up.

I wish you all the luck!! :D