Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions please on shops in Tennessee >

Need opinions please on shops in Tennessee

Need opinions please on shops in Tennessee

Old 03-25-2009, 07:08 AM

I will be traveling to Memphis, Nashville and Pigeon Forge in May and would love to visit some quilt shops while there. I would really like your opinion on what shops are a "must see" while I am there. I LOVE Moda fabrics!! Especially their charm packs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wendy Jo in Iowa
Old 03-25-2009, 08:28 AM

Hi,

There is a great quilt shop in Jonesborro, TN., if you get close. There is also a "quilters loop" around the Pigeon Forge area. When you get close there will be lots of information about it. I didn't have time to do it when I was there, but would have liked to. Have fun!!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:41 AM

I don't know about shops, but I know the Smokies are gorgous. I think you'll catch some of the dogwoods if you're lucky. Be sure to bring your camera.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 AM

If you are driving from Nashville to Pigeon Forge on I-40, you will se a small sign in Harriman for Loose Threads quilt shop. I was there last week. It was a very cute shop and the people were very nice. They had everything, even sewing and embroidery machines. There is a sign for it right there on the throughway. It is about 77 miles brfore Pigeon Forge.

Maria
Old 03-25-2009, 01:23 PM

Before you hit the road, find a book named "Quilters Travel Companion". It comes out every two years with the current one being 2008-2010. It has a state by state listing of quilt shops. It lists 32 shops in Tennessee. Our stays in the car and we are always looking for shops. Their web site is www.quilterstravelcompanion.com We are on our second one and would not be without it.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:02 PM

Darn ... wish I could remember the name of it. When we were in Gatlinburg last year went on the artisan loop and one of the craft shops told me of a quilt place to check out. Is way out of town but well worth the visit. Seems like it was near an orchard where you could stop for fresh cider and apple dumplings. Maybe someone that lives in that area will know where I am talking about. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:25 PM

okay, Wendy, I am pretty sure this is the quilt place I went to in Gatlinburg and I felt it was well worth the visit. :D This is not the place on the Artisan Loop but the place they told me about and reccommened that I visit.
:D http://www.hollowaysquilts.com/
Old 03-25-2009, 05:10 PM

Hi, I live just outside of Pigeon Forge and there are several good quilt shops in the area. In Sevierville, there is The Cherry Pit, on Bruce Street just down from the Courthouse. Then we have Iva's Machine Quilting just off 441 on the Old Knoxville Highway also in Sevierville. Further down 441 toward Knoxville, you will find Exquisite Quilting.
On highway 321 in Cosby you will find Holloway's Country Quilting, Mari a Go to Blount County right on down the road, on Highway 411 or Sevierville Pike (to locals) between Seymour and Maryville, you will find Pappy's Quilting. Follow 411 S on thru Maryville and a few miles out of town you will find Rooster's Quilt Shop. Back to the Sevierville area, just out of Gatlinburg on 321 down in Cosby, you will find Holloway's Quilt Shop, Maria has a very nice shop as well as retreat facitilies.

In Knoxville, another county that joins with Sevier County the home of Pigeon Forge you will find several more quilt shops. on Kingston Pike down near Farragut you will find Gina's Bernina, back toward town on Papermill Road is a great one Mamaw's Thimble.. These are only a few of the ones in that area.

I see several of the ladies are referring to a quilt shop on a loop in Gatlinburg, near an orchard. I am sure this has to be Holloways, but it is not in Gatlinburg or on the craftman's loop... It is in the community of Cosby on 321.. out of Gatlinburg.

I see someone has already told you about Loose Threads on Roan Street in Harriman.. just off the Interstate 40.

As for Charm Packs, Jelly Rolls, etc. Then you must stop at Iva's Machine Quilting, she has a whole big section of Charms and JellyRolls and matching yardage.

Good luck with your vacation, hope you enjoy my beautiful area.
PM me if you want more detailed information.

Jacke
Old 03-26-2009, 06:05 AM

Thank you all so very much for your help. I greatly appreciate it. I am printing this out and am so excited to make the stops. I'll be sure to post when I get back.

Thanks again so much.

Wendy Jo
Old 03-26-2009, 06:36 AM

I don't know where in the Nashville area you will be but if you are somewhat south on I-65 you will find Franklin. It is a charming little town with great antique places and a quilt shop which I believe is called the Sticher's Garden. It has been several years since I was there but it was always a great fabric store.