Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns from magazines ? >

Patterns from magazines ?

Patterns from magazines ?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 AM

I stick the pattern folded up in the fabric that I want to make it with and stick it the cabinet. Then when I'm ready to make it, its all right there ready to go!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Scan or make copies, then notes to refer back to the magazines they came from :D:D:D
Old 07-29-2011, 08:20 AM

I did this with my scrapbook magazines and will be doing this with all of my quilting ones as well. I scan to the computer then burn a disk with them so I always have a spare. That way I can pass on the magazines or if I have a book with one I want the same thing. Now I have them on one little disk and clutter free space--plus I can label them in files by type and have easy access to them.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:32 AM

I'm not nearly as organized as you all. I just save the magazines in boxes, but I do put little sticky flags on the patterns I like. Takes a while to go through them, but sometimes I get inspired by things I saw before but didn't like then.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 AM

Sewmagic just posted this question yesterday ... titled "organizing quilt patterns." You might want to read the responsses she has recieved.

ali
Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat
Sewmagic just posted this question yesterday ... titled "organizing quilt patterns." You might want to read the responsses she has recieved.

ali
To make it easier to find: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-141004-1.htm

piney
Old 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

Let me know how it works. I was researching to see if there was an online storage I could access thru my smartphone. We use a virtual office here at work and can access every document we have online from anywhere via internet and I've gotten spoiled. Imagine taking your patterns everywhere.

Originally Posted by Silver Needle
I like the scanner idea. I'll take any extra room I can get for the long arm quilting business and my own quilting projects.

Have you heard of EVERNOTE? It's software that allows you to store things on line and then you can retrieve them from any PC anywhere. I could go to quilting friend's homes and we could look at my stash of patterns without hauling all the magazines. I can sit in my recliner and peruse them on my iPad. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Three thumbs up for this idea!
Old 07-29-2011, 12:29 PM

I tend to use post it notes to mark the pages. Interestingly enough when I pull out the magazine I end up finding a different pattern to make. My how tastes change from season to season
Old 07-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
How do you organize the patterns you find in magazines that you want to make (someday), but yet you don't want to tear the magazine apart?
I have an old PDA (circa 2002, I think), with a foldup keyboard and have an old dababase program on it called HanDbase. I wrote an aplet that has fields that describe the project by publication, date, author, colour, fabric, type of block, fabric and a field for whatever. Most of the fields are just dropdown menus that I can check off. It takes me maybe 2 minutes maximum per project.

Every time I buy a new publication, I put all the projects into my database, even the ones I am not interested in.

Basically, I outsource my memory!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:35 AM

I do surgery with a small utility knife, put in clear holders and into a binder, then try to get rid of the rest of the magazine. If it is butchered too badly, it goes to recycle. I tried to find sources to take the remains,like nursing homes, but no such luck. At least, I didn't bury the remains in the ground, they will end up in a new magazine, or something.