Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49

Thread: How I organize patterns in magazines

  1. #1
    Super Member JanetM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    At my LQS
    Posts
    2,355
    Like many of you I have a lot of quilting/sewing magazines.

    If a particular issue only has one or two patterns I want to save, I cut them out, file them in a portable pendaflex file box and toss out the magazine.

    Frequently though, there are several patterns is one issue, so I want to keep the entire magazine. I dislike having to search through dozens of magazines for that one pattern so this is what I do.

    I bought two small Rolodex file boxes. When I find a pattern I like, I write on the top of the card what the pattern is (watercolor quilt, bargello quilt, log cabin quilt, etc.), and a brief description. Then on the bottom I record what magazine it is in, the date of issue, and the page number. This makes it very easy to find the pattern I want to make.

    I have all my magazines stored in magazine files and have them in a bookcase.

  2. #2
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,712
    Blog Entries
    1
    Brilliant! I have a degree in Library Studies and I NEVER thought of doing this! Duh! :shock: :-D

  3. #3
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,993
    WOW!
    Do you make housecalls?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,301
    I kind of do the same thing. My mom and grandma had lots of magazines and loose patterns, to organize and eliminate trash I started to go through them with her to select the patterns that she likes and throw out all the ad pages. I put them into plastic sheet protectors that have the 3 hole punch and then put into a three ring bnder. I try to put the picture side facing out. then if she wants a certain pattern she just pulls it out of the plastic sheet and then can slide back in when done.

    I do like the rolodex file idea for the patterns that you have saved the whole magazine!

  5. #5
    Super Member Lockeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Springdale, NF, Canada
    Posts
    2,331
    I print out a lot of patterns from on-line - if there's a magazine with only one pattern in which I am interested in I remove it, etc.
    I have large 3-ring binders - with dividers - I put all of my patterns in plastic protector sleeves....
    My binders have dividers - quilt patterns are divided according to style - Pieced, Applique, etc. - and then Blocks are divisied accordingly - as well as special dividers for projects - with tabs that would include Kitchen, Bags, Pin cushions, etc....
    I find that this really helps and it's easy to flip though them and find ideas and just pull out the pages that I want to work on - and because of the plastic sleeves that all stay nice and clean and neat and when I'm finished I just put them back in the binder.

  6. #6
    Senior Member renee765's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    955
    I have found that my tastes change through the seasons and years, so I'm afraid to throw any pattern out. What didn't appeal to me at all a year ago suddenly becomes a very desired pattern. Guess I'm fickle.

  7. #7
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,223
    I wish the magazines would have pictures of all the quilts in the mag on the back cover.
    I have alot of Annies Attic crochet mags that do this and it is so simple to just look at the back cover and see all the patterns.
    I am in the process of dropping all my subscriptions to quilting mags because of this problem. They prefer the advertizing dollars for the back cover so I wont buy them anymore.

  8. #8
    montanaquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    871
    what an awesome idea!! i like the idea of the filing system, i'm going to do that this weekend!! thanks a bunch for the idea

  9. #9
    Moderator tlrnhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In the middle of a mess...
    Posts
    19,993
    Quote Originally Posted by montanaquilter
    what an awesome idea!! i like the idea of the filing system, i'm going to do that this weekend!! thanks a bunch for the idea
    When you are done, wanna come over and do mine? I'll make the fru-fru drinks and hubby will bbq :)

  10. #10
    Super Member janice4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    southern Ca
    Posts
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    WOW!
    Do you make housecalls?
    seriously ;)>> do you? you are organized.

  11. #11
    Super Member janice4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    southern Ca
    Posts
    1,474
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    Like many of you I have a lot of quilting/sewing magazines.

    If a particular issue only has one or two patterns I want to save, I cut them out, file them in a portable pendaflex file box and toss out the magazine.

    Frequently though, there are several patterns is one issue, so I want to keep the entire magazine. I dislike having to search through dozens of magazines for that one pattern so this is what I do.

    I bought two small Rolodex file boxes. When I find a pattern I like, I write on the top of the card what the pattern is (watercolor quilt, bargello quilt, log cabin quilt, etc.), and a brief description. Then on the bottom I record what magazine it is in, the date of issue, and the page number. This makes it very easy to find the pattern I want to make.

    I have all my magazines stored in magazine files and have them in a bookcase.
    Ps can you post your profile quilt so we can see it is gorgeous !!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Boxer mom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clearfield, UT
    Posts
    592
    I will save a copy of the online ones to my documents and then when I get alot of them saved I transfer them to a thumb drive.
    I have alot in binders also and thought of how many I would end up with. Now I print up the one I am going to use and when done (if I haven't written all over it) I file it away in the binder.
    I do like her magazine system though.

  13. #13
    montanaquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    Quote Originally Posted by montanaquilter
    what an awesome idea!! i like the idea of the filing system, i'm going to do that this weekend!! thanks a bunch for the idea
    When you are done, wanna come over and do mine? I'll make the fru-fru drinks and hubby will bbq :)
    i would LOVE to Terri!!!! Love fru fru drinks and bbq!! what a wonderful vacation that would be!!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula
    Posts
    825
    Lockeb, I also use the three ring binders with plastic sleeves. My binders vary in size according to my interests. Since I am creating my own reference books on subjects, I tend to save articles on a subject -- rather than -- just patterns. I have some categories by subject (Amish, paper-piecing, leaves,etc.) and others by designer (Eleanor Burns, Judy Martin, Helen Thorne, Terry Atkinson,etc.) plus the brownish/red paper heavy duty expanding file envelopes to insert books by the designer.

    Lately, I've been playing with arcs and curves and have purchased some templates. I've placed the book, misc. articles and specialty templates in $1.00 plastic expandable file holders from Target. I can grab a folder and take everything to my desk to start playing with the designs.

  15. #15
    Super Member shaverg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,011
    I will sign up.

    I have every Quiltmaker and QuiltersNewsletter since 1984, not counting all the other magazines. They are all in nice Magazine boxes in order and I do love going through them, but it would be nice to have it referenced so I could get it quick. Right now I have little yellow post its or I go through until I find something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    WOW!
    Do you make housecalls?

  16. #16
    Super Member JanetM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    At my LQS
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by janice4
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    Like many of you I have a lot of quilting/sewing magazines.

    If a particular issue only has one or two patterns I want to save, I cut them out, file them in a portable pendaflex file box and toss out the magazine.

    Frequently though, there are several patterns is one issue, so I want to keep the entire magazine. I dislike having to search through dozens of magazines for that one pattern so this is what I do.

    I bought two small Rolodex file boxes. When I find a pattern I like, I write on the top of the card what the pattern is (watercolor quilt, bargello quilt, log cabin quilt, etc.), and a brief description. Then on the bottom I record what magazine it is in, the date of issue, and the page number. This makes it very easy to find the pattern I want to make.

    I have all my magazines stored in magazine files and have them in a bookcase.
    Ps can you post your profile quilt so we can see it is gorgeous !!
    You mean my avatar? Sure. The pictures were taken at my sister's house before I did the binding. This quilt was given to our Mom for Christmas. It was professionally quilted.

    Machine appliqued
    Name:  Attachment-33356.jpe
Views: 50
Size:  98.1 KB

    Detail
    Name:  Attachment-33357.jpe
Views: 46
Size:  74.2 KB

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,657
    We're supposed to organize patterns??? Who knew? ;)

    Janet, LOVELY quilt!!!

  18. #18
    Super Member JanetM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    At my LQS
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by tlrnhi
    WOW!
    Do you make housecalls?
    I should huh? I am a real organizer and get teased about it all the time. I have a BA in Psychology so I know what psychologists would say about me :). My father says "it's the German in you"

    I have absolutely no patience when it comes to trying to find something so I try to keep things in their place.

    I also keep track of articles on different techniques that appear in magazines or even my books. If I don't do something for a period of time I need a refresher so I can find the directions easily by having it referenced in my Rolodex files.

  19. #19
    Power Poster earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    10,285
    Great idea, the I had forgotten how handy a Rolodex can be. This should help me in my endeavour to "unclutter" this year.

    Beautiful quilt, outstanding colours and design...talented and organised!

  20. #20
    Lady Tapioca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Connecticut shoreline
    Posts
    496
    I bought those little post it flags in different colors. I can write on them with a fine sharpie and stick it to the page in the magazine. I tried to color code (blue for applique, red for how to's, yellow for 'I want to make this one', etc) It cuts down on some of the searching but I wish there was a better way.

  21. #21
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    You are so organized. I am amazed. Great ideas.

  22. #22
    Super Member knlsmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West central Illinois
    Posts
    2,973
    Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    Brilliant! I have a degree in Library Studies and I NEVER thought of doing this! Duh! :shock: :-D
    lmao! I am a walking brainfart most of the times myself! Glad Im not alone.

    :lol:

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,302
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow! Since I am in the process of moving and will be unpacking boxes of quilting magazines, that is a great idea!

    And your avatar quilt is absolutely beautiful! Great job!

  24. #24
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetM
    Like many of you I have a lot of quilting/sewing magazines.

    If a particular issue only has one or two patterns I want to save, I cut them out, file them in a portable pendaflex file box and toss out the magazine.

    Frequently though, there are several patterns is one issue, so I want to keep the entire magazine. I dislike having to search through dozens of magazines for that one pattern so this is what I do.

    I bought two small Rolodex file boxes. When I find a pattern I like, I write on the top of the card what the pattern is (watercolor quilt, bargello quilt, log cabin quilt, etc.), and a brief description. Then on the bottom I record what magazine it is in, the date of issue, and the page number. This makes it very easy to find the pattern I want to make.

    I have all my magazines stored in magazine files and have them in a bookcase.
    Thanks so much, that is a wonderful tip.

  25. #25
    Super Member LindaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,943
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockeb
    I print out a lot of patterns from on-line - if there's a magazine with only one pattern in which I am interested in I remove it, etc.
    I have large 3-ring binders - with dividers - I put all of my patterns in plastic protector sleeves....
    My binders have dividers - quilt patterns are divided according to style - Pieced, Applique, etc. - and then Blocks are divisied accordingly - as well as special dividers for projects - with tabs that would include Kitchen, Bags, Pin cushions, etc....
    I find that this really helps and it's easy to flip though them and find ideas and just pull out the pages that I want to work on - and because of the plastic sleeves that all stay nice and clean and neat and when I'm finished I just put them back in the binder.
    I remove them from magazines also...they are all filed according to technique....I like them better than photo copies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.