Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How I organize patterns in magazines >

How I organize patterns in magazines

How I organize patterns in magazines

Old 02-17-2010, 04:45 AM

Very good idea!!

I cringe though when you say you throw the rest of the magazine out. Have you ever considered donating the rest of the magazine to your local library? Mine has a magazine swap. I would love it if someone left their even partial crafting magazines in the magazine swap.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:03 AM

I photocopy the picture of the quilt from the magazine. Put that in a folder "future projects" and put a tab sticker in the magazine before I put it away. I also make sure the photocopy has the issue and date on it somewhere.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by catlady506
Very good idea!!

I cringe though when you say you throw the rest of the magazine out. Have you ever considered donating the rest of the magazine to your local library? Mine has a magazine swap. I would love it if someone left their even partial crafting magazines in the magazine swap.
You are so right. I keep most of my magazines intact, and recycle those I've tossed, but your idea is a much better option. I have many times donated books to my local library. I don't know why I never thought to give them my magazines. I vow to do that from now on. Thank you.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 PM

Great!!! I am sure somebody will love them!!!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

What a great post. I'm afraid that I hold on to quilting magazines. I did share with my group but all the magazines eventually came back to me. Every so often I sit on the floor in my craftroom and get lost in my magazines. As somebody said over time my likes and dislikes change.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:18 AM

I don't throw mine out either. When friends want a pattern, I let them go through mine and they can "borrow" the book.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

I love quilting magazines, too. I seem to like the older ones better, so I always search at garage sales for the, WIsh I was as organized as some of you!
Old 06-10-2010, 06:30 PM

I used the progam Exel. I also put my pages in binders. Each binder has a number. For example:
Quilt Pattern Book Title Page Binder
Log Cabin American Quilts 27
log cabin 4
Basket Easy fat quarter 54
Crazy patch 2

My index includes both my quilt books and my binders.
So if I want a certain quilt pattern I just key in the name
and my computer will tell which books and which binder has that pattern. It is alot of work to enter it. I certainly like it as you can look it up in any number of books or binders and get may ideas for the same pattern. Say for a nine patch there may be 20 different places to find it.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:38 AM

Mine are sorted similar to Stars. I cut out the pattern, put it in a plastic sleeve and put it in a 3 ring binder. I have 2, one for baby quilt patterns and the other one for lap/full size quilts.
I toss the rest of the magazine because its mostly ads or dated material. I don't like the clutter of a bunch of magazines since space is limited in my sewing room. I stopped getting magazines because so much info. is on the net. And it seems the quilt patterns aren't as interesting as they used to be.