Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How I organize patterns in magazines >

How I organize patterns in magazines

How I organize patterns in magazines

Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 AM

Great idea. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:59 PM

Janet I love the quilt, so bright & cheery and nicely done...I so long for the day I can make quilts like that...such a inspiration you are..
Old 02-07-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by tlrnhi
WOW!
Do you make housecalls?
I should huh? I am a real organizer and get teased about it all the time. I have a BA in Psychology so I know what psychologists would say about me :). My father says "it's the German in you"

I have absolutely no patience when it comes to trying to find something so I try to keep things in their place.

I also keep track of articles on different techniques that appear in magazines or even my books. If I don't do something for a period of time I need a refresher so I can find the directions easily by having it referenced in my Rolodex files.
Oh Janet you forced me to come clean..lol I drove my kids so crazy w/ my analness for organization. I truly mean it when I say I get great pleasure, a high if you will when I say I love to organize. Sometimes if I can't get motivated to do anything I will start organizing something without even realizing it.[hmm could be why I stated a biz being a professional organizer]
We were taking about organizing patterns -I took my binders a step further just after this topic started.
Keep in mind I am a beginner quilter so my topics might be different then others, but they are as follows:
Binder 1: Lessons. Patterns-{easy, intermediate.} Wall Hangings & Landscape

Binder 2: Magazines-ones that have to much information I want to save-most Quick Quilts magazines. Misc templates that don't go w/ any particaluar pattern.

Separate File: Quilt Patterns I want to do in the near future-I try really hard not to let this file get to big other wise it becoming to over whelming.

I am sure those topics will change as my skills to do but it all works for me.
Hope this is helper.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:50 AM

I use the plastic sleeves too. If there is more than one pattern (which rarely happens) I make a copy of the ones I want and file them in the sleeves. On line patterns I just bookmark into specific folders.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 AM

I love plastic sleeves. I save computer patterns on a thumb drive and on my computer.

Copies that are printed out are put in plastic sleeves in a notebook. For magazines, I cut the pattern out and it also goes into plastic sleeves, however if there is morethan one item that I like I make copies of the patterns. My print also scans documents, so it makes it easy.

I had to clean out my parents house over a year ago. Although my dad passed about 8 1/2 yrs before my mom, she was diagnosed with alheimer's 2 yrs before she passed. My parents saved everything. I was reading postcards I had written them from camp when I was 9 yrs old and postage was only 2 cents. My mother had the first letter that my dad wrote to her. I still have 3 huge storage bins of papers still to go through.

I only have so much room in my house - In my opinion I'd rather stuff it with fabric.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

I started scanning the patterns I like from magazines or from paper patterns and store it on my computer. I named folders with the name of the issue and year of the magazine and the pattern name as the file. I save a picture of the item in a slide show program so it's easy to browse through and look at the pictures and then find the file with the pattern. I'll be glad when all the quilt magazines can be downloaded per issue.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Can I come to your house to play on your computer?

OH - and you as well

LOL
Old 02-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I had to clean out my parents house over a year ago. Although my dad passed about 8 1/2 yrs before my mom, she was diagnosed with alheimer's 2 yrs before she passed. My parents saved everything. I was reading postcards I had written them from camp when I was 9 yrs old and postage was only 2 cents. My mother had the first letter that my dad wrote to her. I still have 3 huge storage bins of papers still to go through.

I only have so much room in my house - In my opinion I'd rather stuff it with fabric.
Well, as a genealogist and family historian, I am BEGGING you not to get rid of that stuff. It is priceless to anyone interested in the family history. If there isn't anyone in the extended family who is interested, you can put in plastic bins and store it in the garage. That would be better than getting rid of it, because I can almost guarantee that someday someone will be crying that it was thrown away.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:08 PM

Plastic sleeves are great :thumbup: :thumbup:

I even use a razor knife to cut the patterns from magazines because I hate those ragged edges and have lost bits to them. I tend to put two patterns per sleeve, facing front and back. My binders are organized by theme of pattern (baby, scrappy, gift idea, etc) and I also have tips and articles (how-to's, backing ideas, etc).

The whole magazines that I've just had to save are in plastic sleeves and a binder as well. At least, the ones I've sorted through are; the rest are still in a box.

I've created an Access file for keeping track of all my pattern information. I love Access because it allows me to organize, then sort through, whatever I build. Once upon a time, I had to teach data base software in high school and barely stayed ahead of the students. Access is much simpler.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
Originally Posted by JanetM
Originally Posted by tlrnhi
WOW!
Do you make housecalls?
I should huh? I am a real organizer and get teased about it all the time. I have a BA in Psychology so I know what psychologists would say about me :). My father says "it's the German in you"

I have absolutely no patience when it comes to trying to find something so I try to keep things in their place.

I also keep track of articles on different techniques that appear in magazines or even my books. If I don't do something for a period of time I need a refresher so I can find the directions easily by having it referenced in my Rolodex files.
Oh Janet you forced me to come clean..lol I drove my kids so crazy w/ my analness for organization. I truly mean it when I say I get great pleasure, a high if you will when I say I love to organize. Sometimes if I can't get motivated to do anything I will start organizing something without even realizing it.[hmm could be why I stated a biz being a professional organizer]
We were taking about organizing patterns -I took my binders a step further just after this topic started.
Keep in mind I am a beginner quilter so my topics might be different then others, but they are as follows:
Binder 1: Lessons. Patterns-{easy, intermediate.} Wall Hangings & Landscape

Binder 2: Magazines-ones that have to much information I want to save-most Quick Quilts magazines. Misc templates that don't go w/ any particaluar pattern.

Separate File: Quilt Patterns I want to do in the near future-I try really hard not to let this file get to big other wise it becoming to over whelming.

I am sure those topics will change as my skills to do but it all works for me.
Hope this is helper.
I think maybe you and I were separated at birth

:lol: :lol: :lol: