Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns from magazines. >

Patterns from magazines.

Patterns from magazines.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 AM

I get my choice of quilting magazines as a benefit of my job (independant magazine merchandiser) so I have unlimited resources for patterns. I love alot of the patterns I see but I don't have the time or money to go searching for the particular fabrics called for in the patterns. I know I can substitute, but I never know what to substitute with. I'd like to stay within my stash (I have tons of different fabrics)...so making the right choice seems so complicated for me. What do you do when you come across a pattern you like and want to do, but don't want to buy any fabric...how do you decide to substitute fabrics?
Old 01-13-2010, 05:51 AM

If I want to make the quilt in the same color way I shop my stash and LQS for similar fabrics. If I want to change colors I try to figure out which fabric I want to switch out for what and then do the same as above. Sometimes the second way can be a little tricky. Lucky you to have access to so many magazines. Hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:53 AM

First I try to decide on a color scheme. How many colors do you need for the quilt pattern? Do I have the amount needed in the colors I want? Do I have enough of the same color values (light, medium, dark)? Of course, no matter how hard I try, I never seem to have just the "right" fabric so always end up buying fabric to go with what I already have.... :D
Old 01-13-2010, 06:00 AM

not really sure?? if I like the pattern i get it and if I want to use my stash I just pick out something that i like that has the yardage needed and go from there.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:20 AM

The hardest part I have when I don't follow the fabric pattern is keeping track of my fabric choices for the particual pieces...so I cut samples to match the pattern key...takes me alittle longer to actually start cutting out the pieces but it keeps me from getting totaly lost after I start cutting.Choosing the fabric is the fun part....keeping reminding yourself this is suppose to be fun...something I have to constantly do.
dee
Old 01-13-2010, 06:27 AM

I sent you a pm regarding magazines and patterns. :D
Old 01-13-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I sent you a pm regarding magazines and patterns. :D
Reply sent :)
Old 01-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I always pick fabric by value (light, med, dark) first and then the color second. If you put a fabric value finder on the picture of the quilt you like, you can see how much of each value you will need.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I always pick fabric by value (light, med, dark) first and then the color second. If you put a fabric value finder on the picture of the quilt you like, you can see how much of each value you will need.
What is a fabric value finder? Is it a color wheel?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
The hardest part I have when I don't follow the fabric pattern is keeping track of my fabric choices for the particual pieces...so I cut samples to match the pattern key...takes me alittle longer to actually start cutting out the pieces but it keeps me from getting totaly lost after I start cutting.Choosing the fabric is the fun part....keeping reminding yourself this is suppose to be fun...something I have to constantly do.
dee
I also cut tiny samples, and I place them right on the pattern I'm using. Worth the time spent!