Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Patterns from magazines.

I usually choose my border or focus fabric first and pull colors from that; there is always an exception to the rule:)

Banned
    Someone once told me that she buys the border fabric first and then everything is easier after that. It all comes together.
    I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by janice4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I don't think I have ever used a fabric shown in a pattern. I like to make my own choices and come up with my own combination's. I may use the same color scheme and keep the values the same, but my own mix of fabrics.
    me too- I have never used the fabrics called for..
    Yeah, me too. That's the whole point of having a fabric stash.

I also use the color value, from light to dark. then choose the number of fabrics i will need. Then assign each of them a # that is in the pattern. then i just label each piece as I cut, and baggie them writing on the outside, for example fabric one template A . I have never used the material shown in a pattern.

Blog Entries
    I find that I like a pattern but not the colors used, so I just pick my own fabric.

I very seldom buy material to start a project, I start with one piece from my stash and just add colors to it if the yardage is big enough, I am currently making shopping bags from scraps, all I need is the width size and sometimes add a strip here or there to make it large enough , BUT sometimes I agonize for a day to make sure I like the colors I put into it are right and sometimes it just works, Besides you can get carried a way at a quilt shop and spend money you can't afford on a beautiful piece, Sometimes it takes a year to gather pieces for a special quilt , I also ask quilting friends if they have scraps in a certain color if I am making a vest, right now I need colors that will go with a black vest, A friend told me on Sunday she was cleaning out her stash, so I will get help from her , The best part I have won several times first place at the local CO Fair, and recently peoples choice at our local quilt show, so use your imagination and just do it :thumbup:

I go by the values in the pattern first and then shop from my stash for the blocks. I usually need to buy border fabric if it isn't a pieced border. At $A20/25 average per metre I usually only have fat 1/4 or less in my stash. I shop for backing fabric as I need it unless I see it on sale.

OH my goodness. Thanks for suggesting a way to make use of some of the BIG supply of scrapbooking paper!

I go through what I have on hand and pick out what I like, then if there is another color I really want in it, I just go and buy it instead of using something I really don't like.

You are so lucky to have your choice of magazines!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ditter43
    You got a lot of good answers...one more suggestion, Once you decide on your colors, make one block as a preview. It will be your guide if you decide the colors are right...have fun!

Ditter
    This is a wonderful tip. It would be heartbreaking to finish all your blocks and then decide you didn't like it. ( Don't ask how I know)

As usual...start with the focus fab that YOU want and go from there. All previous suggestions were great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2