Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Patterns from magazines ? >

Patterns from magazines ?

Patterns from magazines ?

Old 07-30-2011, 03:43 AM

I just save the magazine. I find my tastes change and what I once wanted to do I don't anymore, and other times I want something more challenging. Of course I do have a lot of magazines. lol
Old 07-30-2011, 03:51 AM

I do the same as zhillslady.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:29 AM

I have some that are scanned on two flash drives (two different colors). I do have some in binders also. The free ones I print from the internet are in a plastic sleeve in a binder. My two older granddaughters keep my indexs up to-date-for me. It helps me keep organized and improves the typing and organizational skills of the grands. The index list for the flash drive is titled "Blue Flash Drive - Dec 2009 - Dec 2010, etc 1. Cross-Stitch (name of patterns under that title) 2. Plastic Canvas (name of patterns under that title), just an example. Another ex. Binders are label such as: Quilting, Plastic Canvas, Crochet, Crossstitching, etc. Then the indexs are labeled:Accessories, Children, Home Decor, Speical Occassions, Quilt, Totes, etc. Grandchildren and small children get a kick out of helping with this. When I have grandchildren over or even on a rainy they, keep my Index and books up to date for me. I have plastic stackable binds (3) with drawers that I keep some of my notions and patterns in. My patterns are sorted the same as the index tabs in simplicity magazines. I also have magazine racks for my thin pamphlets. Their reward was something I made for them until they started learning to sew. Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

OK I thought I was the only one except mine are on a shelf.

Originally Posted by jljack
I'm not nearly as organized as you all. I just save the magazines in boxes, but I do put little sticky flags on the patterns I like. Takes a while to go through them, but sometimes I get inspired by things I saw before but didn't like then.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:36 AM

jljack - that might be low tech but this is exactly what I do too! Besides, that is how some of us know exactly what pattern others are talking about when they can't remember where they saw it. :-)
Originally Posted by jljack
I'm not nearly as organized as you all. I just save the magazines in boxes, but I do put little sticky flags on the patterns I like. Takes a while to go through them, but sometimes I get inspired by things I saw before but didn't like then.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the tip. Never heard of Evernote bit sounds like a good way.
I have hit my saturation point and have decided that I cannot keep it all so have been tearing the pages out of magazines. I hate doing that since someone else would enjoy these magazines but enough is enough. I know I will never get all the quilts done anyway. I also have stopped subscribing to them and only buy those I really want since so many these days seem to be full of nothing I am interested in. Not that they are bad, I think I have just zeroed in on styles I really like. I know at this age, that I won't be able to do them all.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
I used to keep mine in plastic but I recently started scanning the pages I want. I have on computer and flash drive (in case computer dies). I have one file with the patterns and ones just pictures so if I'm looking for something new I just browse the pic files so I don't have to wait for each pattern to open. Then once I'm done with the magazine I pass along to other quilters. With so many free patterns I have cancelled all my magazines.
I have not renewed my subscriptions. I have more patterns than I will live to make!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:33 AM

I just keep all my mags!!! My "want to dos" change every time I go thru the magazines.....what I may have wanted to make last month may not be what I want to make this month. The times I'm sick and don't feel like sewing (yes, that happens) are the days I pile the mags next to my chair and thumb thru them. Drives my DH batty :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 07-30-2011, 05:44 AM

like bomtoquilt, you don't need the whole magazine, cut out what you want, put in those plastic sleeves then get rid of the mag. be it give it away or whatever. then put in the folders to save for later. Been there &done that!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by pjaco
Not Me...I have lots & lots of magazines !!!
I'm the complete opposite. I can't STAND clutter. I take out the pages of quilts I like, put them in plastic sleeves and organize. I don't keep magazines; I have a husband who does that just beautifully!!! :(