Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Home 534 >

New Home 534

New Home 534

Old 09-27-2011, 07:38 PM

Does anyone know anything about this machine?

I picked it up at Goodwill a few years ago and haven't done anything with it. Right now I'm just using it as a side table in my living room.

Thanks!

New Home 534
[ATTACH=CONFIG]263411[/ATTACH]

model/serial numbers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]263412[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-263358.jpe   attachment-263359.jpe  
Old 09-27-2011, 08:11 PM

new home I believe is janome and i'm envious! i gave mine to my gf and i'm really missing it but she loves it.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Nice
Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 PM

I bought a model 532 New Home recently for DIL & did some research. Yours is very similar.

New Home is a Janome product. The model was made 1962 - 1972. Janome attachments fit the New Home.
Very sturdy workhorse; sews nice stitch; can drop feed dogs for FMQ (push button next to bobbin spindle by decal).
Manual is available in pdf download on Janome support website.

My recommendation is clean it up and use it!

New Home 532 I gave DIL - she loves the retro look plus it sews well.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]263432[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-263379.jpe  
Old 09-27-2011, 10:15 PM

Pretty machines.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:46 AM

Since it is in the cabinet, can I take it out of the cabinet to use? Or does it need to be left in the cabinet? I tried using it when I first got it, but the cabinet sits too high for my liking.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by montanajan
I bought a model 532 New Home recently for DIL & did some research. Yours is very similar.

New Home is a Janome product. The model was made 1962 - 1972. Janome attachments fit the New Home.
Very sturdy workhorse; sews nice stitch; can drop feed dogs for FMQ (push button next to bobbin spindle by decal).
Manual is available in pdf download on Janome support website.

My recommendation is clean it up and use it!
Thank you for letting me know that I could get the manual from Janome. I contacted them this morning and they've already emailed me the manual! I hope to get it checked out and working in the next week or so. :-). It would be nice to have a machine downstairs (it sits in the living room) instead of always having to be upstairs to sew.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
Since it is in the cabinet, can I take it out of the cabinet to use? Or does it need to be left in the cabinet? I tried using it when I first got it, but the cabinet sits too high for my liking.
You could remove it from cabinet, but it might not sit flat on counter because of "workings" below cabinet base - try & see how it goes.
Could you use a higher chair, a pillow, or perhaps saw a little off each leg and finish the bottom of the table legs to make it appropriate height for your use?

Let me know what you do & how you like it when you begin to sew with this New Home.

BTW - happy you were able to so quickly receive the manual.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:24 PM

I used to have one of these. It uses high shank feet. Also, the normal position for the needle is to the left of center. I guess you alread know all that since you have the manual now. It did sew very nicely.

Pat
Old 07-30-2012, 04:16 PM

Default Manual!!

Originally Posted by qbquilts View Post
Thank you for letting me know that I could get the manual from Janome. I contacted them this morning and they've already emailed me the manual! I hope to get it checked out and working in the next week or so. :-). It would be nice to have a machine downstairs (it sits in the living room) instead of always having to be upstairs to sew.
I also have a New Home 534, and I have been looking everywhere for a free manual! (I just don't see the point in spending $10+ on a photocopy of a photocopy that I have to download and can't even have a physical copy.) Was the manual they sent you via email free or was there a fee? And where on their site did you contact them? (I'm new to all of this! Sorry for all of the questions!) (: