Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How I fixed my Singer Stylist 534 foot pedal...sort of >

How I fixed my Singer Stylist 534 foot pedal...sort of

How I fixed my Singer Stylist 534 foot pedal...sort of

Old 03-13-2014, 05:08 AM

Default How I fixed my Singer Stylist 534 foot pedal...sort of

So I got this Singer Stylist 534 machine the other day and was super excited to get it going. I cleaned and oiled the machine, plugged it in, pushed on the pedal and...nothing. The light was on but the motor wasn't going. So I figured it must be the wiring in the pedal. The pedal is really small, so it didn't seem intimidating and I decided to open it up.

Well I found a set of wires that were totally frayed apart and barely connected to the metal. My hubby has some electrical tools, so I whipped those out and cut the wire casing off, twisted the wire tight again and inserted it into a hole in the copper. Voila, it's running...but only at super high speed.

So my hubby makes the suggestion that the springs can wear out after a while, and the cord has probably been wrapped tightly around the pedal for years.

Great, he's probably right. So how do you fix a spring that's gotten crushed smaller? You can't. But what you can do is wedge something underneath it. And that's what I did. She works beautifully.

I am by no means an electrician. And the insides of this thing look totally Frankenstein-ish, but it works. So, if your pedal isn't running the machine, you've probably got some loose wires. And if the speed is uncontrollable, you may have some worn out springs. They were easy fixes once I figured it all out and it saved me $50. Hope this info helps some of you out there who are wondering why your pedal isn't working.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 AM

Nice job! I hope this encourages more people to try to fix things themselves instead of hauling their machine to a shop.
Rodney
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

you can buy replacement pedals on line
Old 03-13-2014, 11:49 AM

True, but where's the fun in that? Plus, now I have an idea of what I might come across the next time this might happen.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM

Thanks Rodney! I like figuring it all out. The machines are all simple and logical. I tell myself it's not rocket science and just dig in. I'm having too much fun
Old 03-13-2014, 02:59 PM

You might have your wires reversed.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:12 PM

Thanks mitchs mom, but it's up and running. The wires were still connected in the right spots, they were just loose. My guess is that it happened from just being wound around the pedal every time it was done being used. I will, from now on, just tie a rubber band around the wires.