Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Retreat Checklist >

Quilt Retreat Checklist

Quilt Retreat Checklist

Old 10-10-2011, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by SingerSewer
All of this talk about quilt retreats makes me wonder what do you need to be sure to take. I would love to go on one so it is never too early to start planning!

Is there any one thing that everyone tends to forget?

What kind of projects do you take?

Do you have a checklist?
I like to do as much prep work as I can ahead of time so that I'm ready to sit down and sew, sew, sew! I also like to take a craft basket and a plastic tray to keep all my stuff handy, i.e. a place for scissors, seam ripper, lint remover (mascara brush), Purple Thang, etc. right next to my sewing machine.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Banned

while a list is GOOD, it is also best to ask about the location you will be in. How much room do they expect each person to have, will there be a cutting station, how many ironing stations, will extra power supplies be needed, are the tables plastic or hard, and is the floor carpeted.

Asking these questions will help eliminate you bringing TOO Much stuff that is not needed! There is usually only a certain amount of space PER person, so one needs to keep it really simple.

Pick your project(s) out ahead of time. KIT them up if you will. Make small totes with pattern, thread, wound bobbins, cut out pieces labeled/bagged and the left over fabric just in case!
I usually suggest one large project and 2-3 smaller, quick make, ones for when you get bored, or frustrated with the large one! These are also great for late night sewing!

Do not plan to bring a large iron, ironing board, large cutting mats/rulers, your sewing chair, extra tables, etc as they not only will hinder your packing/unpacking the car, there probably won't be room for them anyway!

You could ask the Retreat hosts for a list of what they suggest you bring! Also ask about Wi-Fi so you can keep US posted!

LIST FOR QUILTING RETREAT

__________1. Sewing machine + Manual/Instruction Book + Presser Feet(make sure the power cord and presser foot are in the bag!)
__________2. Heavy duty extension cord + Surge protector power strip( usually just the surge protector is needed)
__________3. a cushion for the chairs that are supplied, a back rest is good too(like the ones at the $ store)
__________4. Aluminum table or TV tray table(make sure where you are sewing has ROOM for this)
__________5. Projects to work on, make sure you have them PRE-cut with all the directions and extra fabric just in case!(keep it simple, or you will find yourself overwhelmed with too many choices and will get NOTHING done!)
__________6. Thread, bobbins (pre wind a few saves time)
__________7. Pins,(pin cushion), needles(machine and hand if you need them), seam ripper, tape measure, Rotary cutters, sewing scissors, CLEANING supplies for your machine, (lint brush, pipe cleaner, oil, screw driver)
__________9. Cutting mat, rulers (only the size you need for your project, or square up)
_________10. Iron,(mini to use next to you if there is room)spray water bottle
_________11. Pressing board or mat( small enough to fit next to your machine)
_________12.small lamp (ott lite)book light for reading
_________13. Trash basket(small paper bag taped to your table is great)
_________14. A carpet sample for under your machine if plastic tables are being used!
_________15. Non-slip grip for sewing machine pedal(only if you are not on a carpeted floor)
_________16. Personal fan(small of course)
_________17. Clothes (comfortable shoes for sewing in)
_________18. Toiletries
_________19. Flashlight
_________20. Book(magazines you need to catch up on)
_________21. snacks, specialty food/drink items
_________22. MEDICATIONS...and some tylenol and sudafed..you are liable to get congested with all the fibers moving around..eye drops are good too as are lip balm and hand lotion!

IF taking any classes make sure you have a small tote full of the supplies needed for that as well!
IF doing any shopping trips, keep a list on an index card so you will stay focused and on BUDGET!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:49 PM

The retreat I am interested in is for three days and two nights. They provide the food, lodging and a workroom complete with tables and lights. (It is not near any quilt or fabric shops. One of the countrystyle retreats.)

Dumb question - why a flashlight?

What are your favorite projects to work on? I am thinking about a quilt and a tablerunner. I am not an experienced quilter as such. I am still learning but have done it for years so...guess that makes me a very slow learner!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SingerSewer
The retreat I am interested in is for three days and two nights. They provide the food, lodging and a workroom complete with tables and lights. (It is not near any quilt or fabric shops. One of the countrystyle retreats.)

Dumb question - why a flashlight?

What are your favorite projects to work on? I am thinking about a quilt and a tablerunner. I am not an experienced quilter as such. I am still learning but have done it for years so...guess that makes me a very slow learner!
if you are staying in the building or sharing a room, a small purse sized flashlight is handy for finding the JOHN at 2am!
Old 10-10-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
if you are staying in the building or sharing a room, a small purse sized flashlight is handy for finding the JOHN at 2am!
Here in New England a good storm can knock the power out too.

piney
Old 10-10-2011, 02:48 PM

I just came back from a quilt weekend. As I am leaving, my husband always asks if I am coming home as it looks like I empty out my quilt studio. I never get this kind of quilting time, so I bring enough projects to keep my interest. This year I finished the binding on 2 quilts, machine quilted 2baby quilts, made a twin sized quilt top, and pieced 5 lap quilts...all different patterns. It was so much fun...lots of laughs, food..and good company.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:48 PM

some place on this board is a list put together with a lot of imput from the board on this topic. I'll look, Found it March 11 Craftybear started it .Don't know how else th direct you there but there are a lot of pages to go through.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:43 PM

I'm glad I found this because I'm going to my first retreat in two weeks!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:48 PM

I like to have a large square of batting, a flannel backed table cloth to layout a quilt or other project.
I also bring a couple of zip lock bags, for scraps or cut up pieces.

I actually prefer to pre cut my projects ahead, and sew them together while on retreat.

within a couple of days before going, I clean and oil my machine, and prewind 4 to 6 bobbins.

I will add anything else if I think of it
Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 AM

I'll have to tell on a friend of mine. She was so intent on getting all her projects ready, sewing machine, supplies, etc. she forgot her clothes! We had to run by Wal-Mart so she could get enough to wear for the week.