Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing Borders to Quilt Top >

Piecing Borders to Quilt Top

Piecing Borders to Quilt Top

Old 11-06-2011, 06:46 AM

Default Piecing Borders to Quilt Top

I would like to get your opinion as to how I should piece together a 5" border for the sides of a quilt I am making. The lengthwise measurement is 64" and the binding is cut in 45" pieces. Here are two ways I am considering using:

A. Add 19" to the 45" using a diagonal seam. This means that each side would have a seam about 2/3 of the way down.

B. Cut two of the 45" pieces into 32" segments and sew together with a diagonal seam. This way the seam would be right in the middle of the lengthwise piece.

The choice is a matter of appearance, obviously. I am sort of leaning toward option B. What do you think?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

I agree I would go with B
Old 11-06-2011, 06:50 AM

Ditto. I agree.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 AM
MTS
Banned

I think it really depends on the fabric.

If your choice of border fabric is a solid/blender type, and will be densely quilted, it really doesn't matter. The seams will disappear either way.

If it's a print pattern where it will be very noticeable (and you didn't have enough yardage to cut the borders lengthwise), I'd go for the option that is more pleasing to the eye.

And if that means I have to do a straight seam, instead of a diagonal, because it looks better, or I'm trying to match the pattern up, then I would opt for that.

Because of fabric shortage (poor planning on my part), I have had to hand stitch the strips to match the pattern - I fold it over and "applique" it to another strip so I'll have the needed length for the border strips. Almost impossible to see the seam line.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

I'm totally confused, because you've mentioned binding and borders, and I'm not sure what the binding has to do with the borders.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:19 AM

oops! My bad! I meant borders instead of binding. I've been up since 3:30 but my brain is still dozing. lol
Old 11-06-2011, 07:21 AM

The reason I cut crosswise is because the directions specified that direction. The directions have had a few other weird layouts, as well.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by MTS View Post
I think it really depends on the fabric.

If your choice of border fabric is a solid/blender type, and will be densely quilted, it really doesn't matter. The seams will disappear either way.

If it's a print pattern where it will be very noticeable (and you didn't have enough yardage to cut the borders lengthwise), I'd go for the option that is more pleasing to the eye.

And if that means I have to do a straight seam, instead of a diagonal, because it looks better, or I'm trying to match the pattern up, then I would opt for that.

Because of fabric shortage (poor planning on my part), I have had to hand stitch the strips to match the pattern - I fold it over and "applique" it to another strip so I'll have the needed length for the border strips. Almost impossible to see the seam line.
This is how I do it also. I've even had to add different fabric of the same hue but you really have to know what to look for to find where I snuck it in.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

Likewise, if it were later in the morning I would probably have understood your first post. LOL

It's quite common to have to piece your borders. I usually go with a straight-across seam, because it's easier, doesn't use the bias, and almost always looks just fine after quilting. In most cases it really doesn't matter at all whether it's in the middle, 1/3 of the way down, same place on right and left, etc. If the fabric is a true border fabric, or if it's a large print, I would try to match up the pattern, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. After all a quilt is made of many seams.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:51 AM

Default Piecing Borders to Top

Thanks, everyone! You are pretty much confirming my opinion. I am glad to see the suggestion for a straight seam, which I would prefer to do. On the thinner inner (I rhyme!) border I cut the pieces so the seam matched the seam of a block on the edge of the quilt. That way it was just a continuous line and less noticeable. It took some trial and error but it is worth it, imho.

Last edited by JudieRQuilting; 11-06-2011 at 07:53 AM. Reason: typo