Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Quick tip: If you make a sweet potato& marshmellows & apple side dish for Thanksgivng >

Quick tip: If you make a sweet potato& marshmellows & apple side dish for Thanksgivng

Quick tip: If you make a sweet potato& marshmellows & apple side dish for Thanksgivng

Old 11-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Default Quick tip: If you make a sweet potato& marshmellows & apple side dish for Thanksgivng

Put the marshmellows on the bottom of the dish (after you spray it with oil), sweet potatoes, then the apples on top with the brown sugar and pats of butter. Bake or microwave, then stir it up. No mess, easy to clean up, not much leftovers this way.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Wow that sounds good! I think it might be time to try this. Thank you for the tip.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 AM

Can I get the recipe for this dish? Sounds yummy!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:58 AM
lbc

Originally Posted by tenngal View Post
Can I get the recipe for this dish? Sounds yummy!
I would love this recipe too. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:55 PM

Quick and easy. Marshmellows, sweet potatoes, apples, brown sugar and butter. I use a big 8 quart corningware dish, put a package of small marshmellows in the bottom, after spraying the dish with olive oil, cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave (like potatoes, 4 minutes each) peel and slice the potato into 1/4 inch slice. I usually grap 6-8 medium sized sweet potatoes (we raise them) and a quart jar of canned apples. You could use 5-6 fresh apples, sliced and put in with the dish raw. Cover with brown sugar a good 1/4 inch, and slice up a stick of butter and dot the top of the dish. Then you can put it into the oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or microwave it. For my big dish, I used 18 minutes, stirred it, and gave it another 15 minutes. Main idea is to "candy" the sweet potatoes with marshmellows and brown sugar and butter. Apples add flavor, and you could add pecans or walnuts to the dish.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Sorry, I cook by throwing things into the pot...seldom measure anything and love shortcuts and easy to clean up after cooking because I love to quilt. And I do love to cook. We had a Thanksgivng Day meal with friends visiting us this past week. and they took enough food home to last them a week or so. Turkey, dressing, sweet potato dish, and green beans (veggies were canned this past summer) cranberry relish, five cup salad, pumpkin pie and apple pie is standard fare here for holidays.

Cranberry relish is 2 packages of fresh cranberries, 6 oranges...2 unpeeled, three fresh apples, and some stalks of celery all ground through my Kitchen Aid mixer; add 2 cups (or 3) of sugar and let it "sit" a day in the ice box. (refrigator, folks)
Old 11-18-2011, 03:05 PM
lbc

Thanks Quilting NinaSue. Hope you and yours have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:46 PM

Going to try this recipe. Sounds really yummy!
Old 11-19-2011, 06:17 PM

Good idea! I love to cook too!
Old 11-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the recipe

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
Quick and easy. Marshmellows, sweet potatoes, apples, brown sugar and butter. I use a big 8 quart corningware dish, put a package of small marshmellows in the bottom, after spraying the dish with olive oil, cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave (like potatoes, 4 minutes each) peel and slice the potato into 1/4 inch slice. I usually grap 6-8 medium sized sweet potatoes (we raise them) and a quart jar of canned apples. You could use 5-6 fresh apples, sliced and put in with the dish raw. Cover with brown sugar a good 1/4 inch, and slice up a stick of butter and dot the top of the dish. Then you can put it into the oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or microwave it. For my big dish, I used 18 minutes, stirred it, and gave it another 15 minutes. Main idea is to "candy" the sweet potatoes with marshmellows and brown sugar and butter. Apples add flavor, and you could add pecans or walnuts to the dish.