Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to wash/clean these quilts? >

How to wash/clean these quilts?

How to wash/clean these quilts?

Old 01-15-2012, 10:26 AM

i would follow pscott's advice about the front loader and the second 'no-detergent' second cycle... personally, i wouldn't put it in the dryer...quilts got washed for centuries and hung on the line...just hang over 2 lines so the pressure is not all on one place...that's the way our grandmothers did it and they just tossed them in the washer, too. No chemical baths...they don't care if they get them all out...we do... and i would be surprised if they are only 10 yrs old...are there any pix?

Last edited by deemail; 01-15-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by cola410 View Post
GrannieAnnie: i have a detachable shower hose, could i use the pressure from that to agitate and rinse the quilt good?
Just don't get too close to the fabric---------the thing with old stuff that you're not sure of is how much stress it can stand. A hand hose would make it a lot easier to rinse, though.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
The shower hose would work well for rinsing. I have been known to hop in and gently tread items in the bath....no wear near as fun as grapes, but does the job. It is also handy to tread out the excess water before removing from the bath. Mind you if your machine has a gentle cycle....I would be using it.
Believe me, if I could get in the tub and stomp the quilt, I would. Might have to hire my grandson to do the next one. LOL
Old 01-15-2012, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
A 10 year old quilt should not be in delicate condition, but for vintage quilts that are hand quilted, I wash in the bathtub. Oxiclean is great for stains, and since it is "active" for 6 hours, the process can take days when working with an old quilt with spots. However, I have found it to be effective. I use vinegar in the rinse.

After squishing out as much of the final rinse water as possible, I lay towels out on a clean tile floor and put the quilt down flat. We live in a dry climate, so that works. When it is almost dry and much lighter weight, I hang it over a shower rod.

It is a lot of work, but so rewarding to have a fresh, clean quilt to use when finished.

Dayle

And the big advantage of the Oxyclean, in addition to removing yellowing and many stains--------it takes out odors and leaves a nice smell.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:41 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I have never understood the idea of washing quilts in a bath tub. Quilts are very heavy when wet. How can the "delicate" seams handle being lifted from the water....drained or not....squished/wrung/wrapped in towels/squished again, etc. etc., better than they can handle the soft agitation and spin of a delicates/gentle cycle of a washing machine? Spinning gets much more water out of a quilt in a machine, making it lighter and easier to remove.

With the exception of *one 1860s quilt* which I foolishly washed before testing well, I've NEVER had one 'behave badly' when laundered in a machine with care, whether antique or vintage or recent.

Jan in VA
*2 of the fabrics in this quilt were more fragile than I knew and shattered a bit.

Last edited by Jan in VA; 01-15-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I have never understood the idea of washing quilts in a bath tub. Quilts are very heavy when wet. How can the "delicate" seams handle being lifted from the water....drained or not....squished/wrung/wrapped in towels/squished again, etc. etc., better than they can handle the soft agitation and spin of a delicates/gentle cycle of a washing machine? Spinning gets much more water out of a quilt in a machine, making it lighter and easier to remove.

With the exception of *one 1860s quilt* which I foolishly washed before testing well, I've NEVER had one 'behave badly' when laundered in a machine with care, whether antique or vintage or recent.

Jan in VA
*2 of the fabrics in this quilt were more fragile than I knew and shattered a bit.
you are absolutely correct about 90% of the quilts out there... but for the few that need to be coddled, the bathtub is a great solution BUT you are supposed to put a clean white sheet under the quilt, with the edges taped up to the wall and the side of the tub... this is all just so you can lift the quilt...i also use the white of the quilt to tell me when i have rinsed it completely... it will be gray after the first rinse, before you put the soap in... each time you move the quilt, the sheet is to take all the weight and stress... and personally, i hang my quilts over 2 lines, no dryer... people don't realize that the dryer is as damaging as any washer...

ps.... i lift the quilt out of the water every time i drain the tub...you don't want the dirty water to settle back into the quilt... it will be really heavy... you may need help to do this... a DH or a DF (friend)...

Last edited by deemail; 01-15-2012 at 11:18 AM.