Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on Tin Lizzie quilting machine >

Question on Tin Lizzie quilting machine

Question on Tin Lizzie quilting machine

Old 04-03-2009, 04:28 AM

I think I will try the chalk. Thanks
Old 04-03-2009, 05:53 AM

I have had my Tin Lizzie for over a year and I love it. I use all kinds of thread, coats & clark, YLI, thread art etc., they all work for me. The cheaper brands do cause more lint, I brush the bobbin area and case with each new bobbin change. I do check /adjust the tension when I change brands. I almost always use white thread with my machine. I found that I did have to adjust the tension more for colors/black. As with any longarm there is a learning period.
There are very helpful Yahoo Groups to check, one specific to Tin Lizzie.
They are a super source for help and info.
I bought my machine second-hand, locally, for a price I could afford. I have seen some good prices lately on new machines.
Do your research and find the right machine for you. I couldn't be happier with mine. :lol:
Old 04-03-2009, 09:28 AM

per yahoo group for tl:

i have been having trouble posting questions there. for some reason my questions don't post and moderators can't figure out why. any clue?
Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i have one and i can tell you the pros and cons of my particular one.

it only like certain threads. especially king tut which is costly.
it can run away with you. it goes very fast on the lizzie stitch.
raising and lowering the take-up bar is a pain.
the clamps will need to be replaced with better ones. big deal!

with the right thread it sews without breaking any thread.
i use it on manual and control the speed myself. very easy.
unless you pay for a computerized machine, they all need to be raised and lowered by hand. sorry. this is no worse, maybe better.
it's very easy to replace the clamps, and schambers has a wonderful
technique for very even tension. definitely use this.
it's a little ticklish on the wiring that controls the left-right controls. they
answer all calls and walk you through any problems. they have
good tech help.

all in all i am very happy with it. it takes time to set it up for each quilt. the tension changes, the thread changes, etc. you should test each quilt to make sure everything is set up right.

like every other sewing machine, when it's good it's very, very good and when it's bad you want to stomp it to death. if it needs repair (has not happened to me since i own it -over a year) it's easy to pick up and take to the dealer.

if you have the opportunity, buy it at a show from the owner, ernie. it will cost less and you can bargain for things like extra needles, even though he says you don't need extras, or extra bobbins. you can still bring to a dealer if you need to. at a show, you might get him to swallow the tax. remember the shipping costs and mentally add that onto the price.

are you getting the computerized one? if not, last year's are all on sale.

since i won't spend the big bucks on a gammill , i think i did the right thing. NONE OF THEM IS PERFECT. THEY ALL HAVE THEIR OWN.......
PERSONALITIES. i would do it again. practice makes perfect here.

also be sure and join the yahoo group above. there is one especially for lizzie owners. you'll read about every problem and answer.

mine is the TL18SL. good luck with your decision.
I purchased a new Tin Lizzie 18LS in December and I have used numerouse brands of thread on it and have had not problem with Tension. I have even used both 100% cotton and Polyestor threads.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:12 PM

UPDATE: mine, too, is accepting other threads now. i may not have been too good about the tension before. a also bought needles with a larger eye, and bought a heaver weight thread that i want to experiment with.

i saw a good video, i can't remember where, that showed some guy who attached a board right across the front of the quilter, above the quilt itself, but not touching. he placed his panto there and aimed his laser from the front of his machine. that way he was able to see exactly what he was doing. i want to check out the frame and see if i can figure that out.

since last time, i did buy the table extension and that opens up a world of possibilities. your straight edge balances and allows you to stitch perfectly straight lines, although long diagonals are still hard to get right, as on any machine. i also got the open-toe foot, but haven't used it yet. i got them both at all-brands.
the prices were better there than any other place, although the shipping time was awful. maybe that was a one-time thing, i don't know.

i also changed over to the lizzie stitch because i felt i should learn to be versatile. i still don't use it all the time, but at least i use it occasionally.

i have a microhandle, not the real one, and i don't like it. you have to get down to it really, really close, and it's very uncomfortable. i find that if i sit in a chair the right height, i see well enough to steer it properly. and if you get very close, you end up working in your own shadow.

all in all, i still love it. whenever i go to a show, i still try all the others out, and i'm not overly impressed. the bells and whistles would be nice but i just want a reliable machine that i trust to do the job and has good tech support and a nearby dealer.

there was a post recently about setup time. i load the frame in about 30-45 minutes. that's pinning the backing to the leader, pinning and rolling the backing onto the belly bar, and machine basting the batting and top to the backing. i float the batting and the top so i can tweak it as i roll it along. it also includes clamping the sides to ready the whole thing for quilting.

how are you liking yours so far?
Old 03-26-2011, 01:31 PM

UPDATE: mine, too, is accepting other threads now. i may not have been too good about the tension before. a also bought needles with a larger eye, and bought a heaver weight thread that i want to experiment with.

i saw a good video, i can't remember where, that showed some guy who attached a board right across the front of the quilter, above the quilt itself, but not touching. he placed his panto there and aimed his laser from the front of his machine. that way he was able to see exactly what he was doing. i want to check out the frame and see if i can figure that out.

since last time, i did buy the table extension and that opens up a world of possibilities. your straight edge balances and allows you to stitch perfectly straight lines, although long diagonals are still hard to get right, as on any machine. i also got the open-toe foot, but haven't used it yet. i got them both at all-brands.
the prices were better there than any other place, although the shipping time was awful. maybe that was a one-time thing, i don't know.

i also changed over to the lizzie stitch because i felt i should learn to be versatile. i still don't use it all the time, but at least i use it occasionally.

i have a microhandle, not the real one, and i don't like it. you have to get down to it really, really close, and it's very uncomfortable. i find that if i sit in a chair the right height, i see well enough to steer it properly. and if you get very close, you end up working in your own shadow.

all in all, i still love it. whenever i go to a show, i still try all the others out, and i'm not overly impressed. the bells and whistles would be nice but i just want a reliable machine that i trust to do the job and has good tech support and a nearby dealer.

there was a post recently about setup time. i load the frame in about 30-45 minutes. that's pinning the backing to the leader, pinning and rolling the backing onto the belly bar, and machine basting the batting and top to the backing. i float the batting and the top so i can tweak it as i roll it along. it also includes clamping the sides to ready the whole thing for quilting.

how are you liking yours so far?
I also just bought the extension table last week-from allbrands.com and am very happy with it. I was using templates and stitch in ditch ruler and was having a very hard time without the bigger bse to put it on. Wish I would've bought it right away. My husband in a fabricator so he als made me some micro handles which I really like for micro stippling. They give me more control. Right now, I am very frustrated with the Tin Lizzie because I am having a problem with it Racing right when I start a new area and then when I hit the stop button, it doesn't stop instantly so then I have a couple inches of tiny, tiny stitches to tear out. I have a cutsomer quilt loaded that she wanted tomorrow and now I am at a standstill because I am waiting for a response about it from my Dealer. I just bought my machine in late December and I understand that any machine, any brand, can have issued early on, but I am frustrated to be having an major issue already that is causing me downtime. I work a full time job outside of the home so when I am home to work on customer quilts, every minute is precious time and I don't want my machine down. But I'm sure it will be fixed and then I will be happy. For the price I paid (I got a good deal on it), I figure I can always get most of my money back out of it again someday if I decide not to quilt--or if I get a good customer base going that I decide to upgrade to a longer throat. I have already decided I want a longer throat and will be upgrading as soon as I get this machine paid off. So I will be selling a very good, very new used machine. As I said, my time is precious when I have time to quilt so I would like to spend less time advancing the quilt constantly. And yes, I do feel it is a good machine for someone who is on a budget/or donesn't feel they will be quilting that many quilts that it warrants a commercial machine. I do have the steel Grace Hailey frame with mine which is adjustable for height. Is yours not adjustable or do you have it as low as it can go? You may want to consider changing frames in the future to one that adjusts lower if you are short and need the frame to sit lower.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:35 PM

i have the hinterberg wood frame (i love the way it looks) and it's as low as it gets. i'm only 5'2", so there's a lot of reaching for me. i don't quilt for anyone but me, so i don't need more than what i have, although he offered me a good trade-in if i wanted it.
we're retired and we travel some, so we aren't always home for me to concentrate on quilting.

for mother's day i asked for some groovy boards, baptist's fans, and we'll see where that goes. i'm not crazy about the pantos, because i can't see what's going on (because i'm vertically challenged).

have you tried the open toe foot? and have you seen the Brower's Lifts?
Old 03-26-2011, 03:22 PM

Gammill makes a small one now also but I'm not sure how the price compares. Having a dealer near by might help in the decision making. I've used a Tin Lizzie and I know people who love it and I know people who don't. See if you have other dealers in the area and try them all
Old 03-26-2011, 07:47 PM

i have the hinterberg wood frame (i love the way it looks) and it's as low as it gets. i'm only 5'2", so there's a lot of reaching for me. i don't quilt for anyone but me, so i don't need more than what i have, although he offered me a good trade-in if i wanted it.
we're retired and we travel some, so we aren't always home for me to concentrate on quilting.

for mother's day i asked for some groovy boards, baptist's fans, and we'll see where that goes. i'm not crazy about the pantos, because i can't see what's going on (because i'm vertically challenged).

have you tried the open toe foot? and have you seen the Brower's Lifts?
I do not have groovy boards and I do not like using laser light with Pantos. I'm sure I wou;d get better at it with practice but I just do not feel right standing behind the machine. I like to be in front. My husband found me a good clamp that had a hole in the end of it so we screwed the laser light on it and put the clamp over the top fo the machine. Figured I could use the laser to follow some designs for blocks if I wanted. I have been too busy quilting for others and haven't had time to practice with that yet. I will be able to stand in front of my machien with that set up. I do not have the open toed foot and I do not know what the Brower's lifts are. What are they? Oh I GOT MY MACHIEN FIXED AND IT NO LONGER RACES!!!! I haved as wonderful Dealer who's husband is a Certified Tech for Tin Lizzie and Gammil and he called me back tonight and talked me through how to run some diagnostic tests on my machine and get it re-set and then it worked for the Needle Up problem (it wasn't always going up like it was supposed to) --but it still Raced. Then he had me take the back cover off where the wheel is (with the belt) and he had me clean everything there with a brush--around teh wheel and especially around the green control board by it--because there is a sensor there and it needs to be really clean. I did that and then quilted for 2 hours after taht and it did NOT race once. I almost hated to shut it down for the night. Hope it all works well again tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:01 AM

the video i saw had the man using the laser light clamped to the front also, but he rigged up a board across the front of the frame so that the panto could rest on that. then he followed the panto with the laser right there in front of himself and could see exactly what he was doing. i agree, i don't like to work in the back because i can't see. that's why i want to try the board. i don't think i can make a mistake that way. they also come in blocks.

the brower's lifts attach temporarily to the sides of the frame and have a system for lifting the roller bars that's different than turning the side wheels. i don't know how you lift on the metal frame, but the lifts have a top handle, sort of, level with the floor, that makes it very easy to screw the bars higher and lower. browse it. they're privately made. if your dh is handy, he might get a similar idea. i'm not saying he should copy it.

if you look at 'photos' or 'pictures' (whatever) on the tin lizzie Yahoo! group, they show them, as well as all kinds of retrofits and basic instructions as to how they were made. like the table extension, but i got tired of waiting.

********EDIT*******
http://www.kathybowers.com/