Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
how old is vintage...and do we discuss industrials >

how old is vintage...and do we discuss industrials

how old is vintage...and do we discuss industrials

Old 04-09-2012, 08:39 AM

Default how old is vintage...and do we discuss industrials

Just curious because I have a couple of old walking foot machines, and they need help.
They probably don't qualify as they are still being made only with "dash numbers" now. IE: I have a Consew 206RB no dash, and you can still buy 206RB-6.

If any one knows of used parts or dealers you can post it up or contact me "off forum"

Thanks
Dan
Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 AM

I really don't know anything about industrials, but would love to learn. Discuss away! Vintage is kind of subjective, but consider anything 40-50 years old vintage.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 AM

I've been told 100 years or older is 'antique' and anything older than 50 years is 'vintage'. But I'd love to hear what others have to say!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:46 AM

Funny,
with cars its 25 and 50 years
Old 04-09-2012, 01:13 PM

Hi Dan, Bob Kovar out of Toledo, Ohio, is a well-known and well-respected dealer of industrial sewing machines (including vintage ones) and parts. The company's website is:

http://tolindsewmach.com/

hope that helps,
Old 04-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Power Poster

I know a little - I've had two walking foot machines and 3 regular industrial machines. I was foolish and got rid of my ancient Singer WF and got a brand new Consew because it had reverse SPANK SPANK SPANK - That one manages to get bobbin thread wrapped around the shuttle on a regular basis and the only cure is to remove the shuttle from the shaft. It was how I learned to do timing. What comes apart goes back about the same. Industrials make a stitch just like anything else. The timing, tension work the same - a walking foot just has extra foot parts. (I saw a really cool old one in Florida - it was set up on a treadle. The man was sewing Alligator hide - making all kinds of stuff with it.) If you understand how a sewing machine works you should be able to figure out most of it - everything is bigger and tougher - some set in oil pans some don't. They sure do turn easy.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Vintage.Singers.NYC View Post
Hi Dan, Bob Kovar out of Toledo, Ohio, is a well-known and well-respected dealer of industrial sewing machines (including vintage ones) and parts. The company's website is:

http://tolindsewmach.com/

hope that helps,

Thank you Rain - he has a lot of good information on that site.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the link, I will contact him.
I was just curious if it was ok to ask here or not.... anyway I have a pair of old Consew's, I have no doubt I can make them run...I have used them in the rigging shop with the US Airforce. What i have is a pair that were "stripped" and sold through the gov liquidation auction program. I need a few parts that are not 'regular service items" and am really looking more for a forum or group or something where I may be able to find a broken used up or discarded one. as it stands now I have about $600 bucks worth of parts listed out and that still does not handle the one linkage that is not available. once I get in the 6-800 range I am in new machine territory ( minus shipping to Alaska). since I have them here and parts are cheap to ship i would as soon reassemble mine.

thanks again for the link and info
Dan
Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW you have to spend $600 in parts??? Is this one specialized? you can get a working used one for that...
Old 04-09-2012, 03:22 PM

I can buy parts 100 bucks at a time, and shipping will be like 7 dollars. Don't know of Anywhere I can get a used machine on payments( I dont seem to have $600 bucks to spend at one time, what with three kids and Heating oils prices and all ) AND get it shipped to Alaska for less than 150 bucks..... so I do what i can. if you have a better solution I am all ears.