Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lancaster Visit Over >

Lancaster Visit Over

Lancaster Visit Over

Old 05-29-2012, 05:41 AM

Default Lancaster Visit Over

Well I cannot believe that our holiday is over. We had a wonderful time in Intercourse visiting the Amish community they are a very reserved people and very proud of their heritage. I could have spent every penny I own in Zooks. What a shop, you people are so lucky to have such a selection of fabric and in nearly every shop great prices. Went to Bird in Hand and again lovely people. We visited Lancaster city and called at the Visitors Centre where we met the most helpful person Kay Cameron. She works there doing the walking tours of city and took us out to the sight and sound to see Jonah. Have never experienced anything like it, what a wonderful show. If any of you are ever in Lancaster please call and say hello to Kay, you will agree with me she is just such a lovely person. Her kindness to us as strangers will never be forgotten. I must say we enjoyed our trip and hope to go back again at some time. The quilts in all the shops were class, they are a very busy people.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:07 AM

Sounds like a very memorable journey. Zooks sounds like a lot of fun!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:54 AM

I love Zook's too and his other store, Sauder's. And you leave with so much at such great prices. There are a lot of other shops that are also wonderful- like Sylvia's Quilts. She sells a ton of premade quilts and other stuff but her fabric is very nicely priced. She may still have some in the garage from the March quilt show- just ask. Two more things-ask the hotel you stay at if they have the map with the quilt shops- most of them do. Check out Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter- Amish and Mennonite novels.

http://www.beverlylewis.com/?gclid=C...FYR9Ogod6zRGXg

http://www.wandabrunstetter.com/
Old 05-29-2012, 10:07 AM

I love that area. Been twice and would love to go again. I bought a quilt there when I visited last and it is a very cherished possession for me.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:13 AM

Me and several of my sisters love visiting the quilt shops in Intercourse, PA. One of my favorite quilt stores is Old Country Store on Old Philadelphia Pike. I could spend days there and the people are so wonderful. We are planning to return there again in November to do some shopping. I'm glad you had a great experience!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:18 AM

Sounds like a nice vacation.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM

I live near Bel Air, MD so that area of PA is only 1.5 hours away for me. Needless to say my quilt group and I visit -a lot LOL We love Zook's and Old Country Store as well. Some other great shops in the area are Obie's Store in Goodville on Rt 23. It is the place to go for novelty fabric. Don't get scared when you walk in; there is literally fabric from floor to ceiling and very narrow passageways. However, if you are looking for that special fabric you can't find anywhere else they will probably have it...and the owner can point you to it! My absolutely favorite shop in Lancaster County though is Burkholder's in Denver, PA. It is about 30 minutes from Zook's but well worth the drive!