Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Can't believe new york visit over

Blog Entries

Can't believe new york visit over

Hi everyone, I cannot believe our trip is over. We had 11 wonderful days in New York City and other than a few days rain and thunder we saw everything and did everything we had hoped. I came back with 132 yards of fabric and cannot wait to get started to sew. You are so lucky to have the selection of fabrics and prices at your disposal. I think I am 2" shorter with all the walking we did but it was worth every minute. We took the open top buses and were well informed of all the places we visited. Time Square is something else even to sit and people watch is an experience and our family were able to see us on the camera there. GZ is a very emotional place to visit but what a beautiful memorial. Well will have to think of next years trip but later as our daughter is getting married in May so cannot plan too much for a while. Anyhow all went well and we had a safe and pleasant journey.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like a wonderful vacation.

WoW 132 yards of fabric! (YEA) Can you share the fabric stores you went to and what were the best ones?

Blog Entries
    Did you go to City Quilter?

I'm glad you had a good time in NY.. Please come back again!!! People watching is one of my favorite things to do when I go into the city..

Blog Entries
    I am glad you had a great time. Please share where you shopped. My DD lives there and I am going to plan a visit very soon.
    Happy Quilting.

Blog Entries
    Love the City. There is so much to see and do there. Did you see any plays? Walking and the subways really make it easy to get around. How about art museums? Glad you had a good time.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

I am so glad you enjoyed the Big Apple. The city is impressive.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    Hi Again, Yes we did visit City Quilter but was a bit disappointed , not in the fabric but with the staff. No one else in the shop but us but they had to have their morning talk before even bothering to cut the fabric I wanted. What a difference when we discovered a little shop P & S fabrics on Broadway we could have stay there all day talking to them, then Diana Fabrics on West 38th Street, and Ayazmoon fabrics on 39th Street, and 35th Street Fabrics there were the odd little buys which I didn't get receipts for. I should say we also bought from N.Y. Fabrics on West 40th Street and he had a great range of bolts at $4 per yard. None of my fabrics were expensive but they are beautiful cottons. I don't really visit museums a lot and decided to spend time shopping.

WOW what a vacation! Did you ship backthe 132 yards of fabric, or did you carry it back with you???? What a great way to remember a place you have visted!!!!
    Theressa
    Cowgirlquilter

You say you are from "up north". Does that mean Canada? I always have a great time when I go to Canada so I'm glad you had a good time in NY. 132 yards is a lot of fabric!! Have fun with it.
    I don't want to brag but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school.

Blog Entries
    Yes hubby took it on as hand luggage and also packed some in big suitcases. We had a ball picking fabric and I am lucky hubby was quite happy shopping with me. We also had small scales to weigh cases so we didn't go too much over weight as we had heard some stories about extra charges and of course that would have defeated the purpose of buying so much.

When shopping in the garment district for smal cuts (less than a bolt) receipt is "optional". Some of the places are really not set up for retail at all, they sell to designers and wholesale. BUT, you are in NYC, rules are bent, and most, but not all will sell to you, and "forget" to give you a receipt. I love the garment district.