Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Redwork - one or two layers of fabric? >

Redwork - one or two layers of fabric?

Redwork - one or two layers of fabric?

Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 AM

Default Redwork - one or two layers of fabric?

I bought a Halloween quilt pattern that uses a lot of embroidery (think redwork in black). The instructions say I should use one layer of background and a layer of muslin and apparently embroider through both of these. What is the purpose for this? This is hand embroidered using a stem stitch and french knots and it isn't even on batiste. Is there some special reason why I should do this? I'm thinking of just skipping that 2nd layer, but maybe someone has some insight.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Banned

The layer of Muslin on the bottom acts as a stablizer, so you don't get puckering in your handwork for a smoother look. It also helps to hide the knots on the backside. When I do redwork, I prefer the 2nd layer for a smoother finished product.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:55 AM

Thank you ladies. I am preparing to do some redwork embroidery and wondering how to do a neat job. I have already marked the fabric so ironing on a stabilizer would not work. I'll now be able to start my new project.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:59 AM

A quilting teacher sometimes uses a very fine layer of batting under the fabric. I think she said it hides the threads and knots. its a good idea to use an extra layer of something ..it makes the finished work much nicer.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:41 PM

That second layer makes a world of difference in the finished look.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Power Poster

I use a good quality fabric for just one layer. Either Kona white or a white on white that feels thicker. If you use the new non-slip hoops with the locking ridge, it holds your fabric taut and you will not get any puckering. I knot my thread to start and when I am finished with a line, I weave both of my ends into the stitches on the back. Find out what works best for you and have fun!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

i use a layer of muslin too- regardless of how wonderful my background fabric is- it hides any (show-throughs) of carry over threads or knots & gives a smooth nice finished block- also adds that extra body- making working with the blocks later nice-
Old 06-03-2012, 02:42 PM

I've used several methods, using a batting behind my cotton fabric (this gives a wonderful quilting when you do your embroidery, less quilting that you need to do later!!!), using muslin behind my cotton fabric and also using interfacing behind the cotton fabric.

They all hide your thread from showing through the top fabric, as well, your knots are more hidden, and they stabilize the piece quite well.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Thank you ladies, I appreciate your insights. I'm willing to try this and see how it goes. It will be a learning experience. I've done embroidery most of my life, but it was fully filled in embroidery and the only knots were french knots. Doing redwork pretty much requires a knot to start and stop though. That will be hard to get used to! Anyway, I will try with a fabric or thin batting in the back and see how I like it.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

I am not sure, I think the reason that they are asking for the two layers of fabric is because they are using the thicker type embroidery thread that they sell. It is a twisted cord like thread and you use one strand. But, I like tartan, use the regular thread and a good embroidery hoop and I also do not pull up tight on my stitches.

I personally think the extra layer of fabric would make quilting a pill. But, I suppose that is my own opinion.