Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retiring - "what would you stock up on?" >

Retiring - "what would you stock up on?"

Retiring - "what would you stock up on?"

Old 01-15-2013, 10:10 AM

I would put a stash of cash earmarked for a longarm, lessons, frame, the works, and a new sewing machine with a large throat, and all the bells and whistles I didn't even know was out there. You will have more time to investigate and try out new machines when you are retired.

Don't go and rush out to buy something right now, do your investigation so you will buy the right machine for you.

If you are a budgeting person, I would add $$$ to my money budget for sewing, pay yourself first it does help with justifying new fabric, thread, sales etc.

If you do not have a sewing room, now is the time to re allocate space for you to spread your wings and fly. The spare guest bedroom - well - get rid of the bed, buy a good blow up mattress for the rare guest, and have a space just for you and your crafts. I have come to the age to understand, that my house is to be lived in, used, and enjoyed.

Fabric, thread, patterns, your tastes will change. Mine did, my skills are growing since I retired. Longarms weren't that common 8 years ago when I retired or there would be one in my house now. One day, I will find a used longarm with all the bells and whistles and it will follow me home.

Originally Posted by memepat View Post
I'm hoping to retire in about 6 months. What would you buy now to have after you retire?
Thanks ahead for all the ideas.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 AM

I have to agree with the lady who said to save money to use later. If you have no tools, buy some of those, rotary cutter, mat and some measuring tools. I made the mistake of buying up a lot of smaller pieces because I knew I was going to retire and wanted to quilt. I had tools so did not need them. Now I find I still need to go out and buy fabrics as the ones I loved and bought about 4 years ago do not always work their way into a quilt because there is not enough that go together or seem to be right for the pattern. That is not to say I do not use any of them because I do when i can. I think i would have gotten myself several gift cards to use later had I thought of it back then.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 AM

One more thing, as for patterns, do not waste your money, there are so many free ones on the internet there is no need to buy any unless you come across one you definitely are going to make.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM

I'm hoping to retire in about 6 months. What would you buy now to have after you retire?
I would buy the Sweet Sixteen and enough fabric to keep me happy for years to come.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:49 AM

Money is the first thing I suggest. When you retire, you will have the time to assess your quilting needs, the time to search sales/clip coupons, and the money to pay for it.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 AM

I would build my stash and be sure I have a new cutting board and blades
Old 01-15-2013, 11:21 AM

Lots of good suggestions have been given already - here is my list.
Do you know how to use a longarm? If not, take a class (at a local store, if possible). Do NOT allow the dealer to talk you into buying - better to wait for a set-up available used by someone who is upgrading. Also, there is quite a range in price for longarm machines and frames. Do you intend to quilt for yourself? Or are you thinking of going into business? If you find that longarm quilting is not "your thing". then the sit-down Sweet Sixteen might be a good fit. These are both options that you can try at a lot of different quilt shows - not just the big ones. Better if you live within reasonable distance of a dealer. As far as fabric goes, if you already have a stash, you likely don't need anything beyond the already suggested Kona neutrals. If your taste changes from what you have on hand, you can always use that for the backs so don't worry about that one. Machine-wise depends on what you already have. If you are happy with your current machine, put $$$ into a replacement fund for somewhere down the road. I bought two machines second-hand from guild members who were upgrading and I'm happy with both of them - one is an Elna 7200 Quilter's Dream and the other is a Bernina Artista 170 with the embroidery unit (which I have yet to use) - $500 and $900, respectively. I don't have to have the latest - it just needs to have the features I want. Needle up/needle down is essential! Had these not become available, I was saving for a Janome with a large harp. Others have mentioned traveling to a big quilt show and taking classes. How about a quilt cruise? I'll even volunteer to go with you! That's on my bucket list. Finally, if you live alone, have your sewing room wherever you want to spend your day. Good lighting, adequate space for cutting, sewing and quilting are necessities. And, if you share your home with a partner, it's time to discuss a possible new allocation of the space.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:54 AM

I also got forced into an early retirement so I wasn't able to buy the last part of what I wanted. In my fabric IRA I have a good deal of yardage, including too many novelty fabrics, but there were things I wish I had bought. They are: neutrals to go with the yardage, the usual neutrals of black, cream, etc., backing fabrics, thread, batting, rotary blades, and a Janome with a big harp for fmq. Even when there are good sales now, it is hard to buy. I would say to take as much money as you can get out of the budget now and save half for quilt shows and classes and new fabric. One thing I did in the 10 years or so before retiring was to buy around a theme fabric, so that I had a bolt of a beloved multi-colored fabric and quite a few pieces to go with them, from FQ to yardage. I'll be able to make a series of quilts out of that.

If you do charity quilting, as I do, you need to lay in extra batting, backing, and thread on sale now.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:58 AM

I wouldn't stockpile anything. as lots of people say, tastes change, save your money and spend it later. If you just have to buy now, buy a fast machine and batting.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:04 PM

I got a long arm (voyager) and a Janome MC 11000. Like to do a lot of embroidery on my baby quilts. And I alsostocked up on solid and solid looking fabrics. A few rulers I had been wanting. Been very happy and ocupied for the last 5 years.