Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Retiring - "what would you stock up on?" >

Retiring - "what would you stock up on?"

Retiring - "what would you stock up on?"

Old 01-15-2013, 05:42 AM

I am not "due" to retire for about 7 more years. But bless my dear hubby. He has told me that I need to begin thinking now of what new sewing machine I want and we need to have purchased it and paid for it by the time I retire. He knows I take a long time to make up my mind. At the moment I am using a pfaff 7570 that I bought used off the internet about 10 years ago. He overheard me telling my daughter about motherboards and the impossibility of repair should this go. I haven't even begun to think about this, so I am glad for this thread.

AngelaZ
Old 01-15-2013, 05:50 AM

Neither of these can be bought. I say time and the ability to say no.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:54 AM

A housekeeper.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 AM

If I had it to do over I would save the $$ because over time tastes change. Also how to finish what you make must be taken into consideration. That you can do now while you are still working.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:01 AM

Save the money and shop after you retire. You'll have plenty of free time to enjoy shopping and you'll know how much you have to spend so you can choose wisely.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 AM

I agree with several ideas on here; buy basic black, white, and gray Kona. Buy all the notions you need (extra rotary blades as they never go out of style), rulers you have wanted but never bought, threads to piece and quilt with, a large cutting mat, some fusible material, a second good pair of scissors, and then think about fabric you'd like to have.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 AM

I bought an expensive Janome. I also bought lots on cream, ivory and white tone on tones, as well as solids. I happen to have a large stash already, but I bought little things like rotary cutter blades, seam rippers, extra scissors, rulers, etc. that I knew I could use. I bought extra shelves for my sewing room and a couple of featherweights. I figured I would join a couple more guilds (and I did) so the FWs are useful. I tried to make my stash basic so I could add a little fabric to make new quilt patterns I came across. Retirement is wonderful!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
A longarm setup. I recently bought a used Voyager 17 and Hinterberg frame (a good starter system) and ***love*** it! I am now able to finish the pile of quilt tops my sister gave to me, plus a bunch of UFOs of my own. It has energized my interest in making new tops too (and using up some of my substantial stash!) because I know how much fun it will be to quilt them. I only wish I had invested in this years ag

If you don't have room for a big frame, consider a Sweet Sixteen or other sit-down quilting setup.
I agree with this. Spend on a good machine and if you can a long arm. If not a Bernina with bsr. And set money aside for going on a retreat or for quilt shows when you have the time to go to them, rather than but lots of fabric because your taste may change and you will want to but the new fun things that you see at the shows.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting View Post
A housekeeper.
AMEN to that one.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 AM

MONEY- they are always coming out with new just "gotta haves".