Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Spam or Scrapple >

Spam or Scrapple

Spam or Scrapple

Old 02-05-2013, 05:29 PM

Default Spam or Scrapple

I went over my girlfriend's house and she made me eat Spam.... and I liked it! lol..... I can not believe all the recipes they have for spam..........

So I told her that she has to try Scrapple.. I only eat Scrapple on way... thin sliced and crispy.... my cousin just slices it off and eats it on bread like meatloaf... She says it is cooked but I am not sure about that!!! it just doesn't look good... lol
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 PM

Scrapple girl, here! Love the stuff! But I would not eat it without being heated/cooked. Used to smother it in maple syrup but go naked now that I don't do flour/sugar. Still awesome. DH hates the concept so I usually only have it when we have breakfast out. Spam, not so much. It's okay - but give me scrapple any day of the week! Then again, I also love pepper vs. salt.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Cyn

I know what spam is but never heard of scrapple. What is it?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
I know what spam is but never heard of scrapple. What is it?
http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/sl.../scrapple.html
Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 PM

When you don't have much growing up and the family is large, you eat Spam when the cupboards are bare and the freezer has been unplugged. And of course whatever comes out of the garden. Fried Spam on home made rye buns with Velveeta was a regular in our house. Now I can't eat it unless I use little or no cheddar cheese. Spam is similar to taking whatever dark meat, light meat, and some of the marbling that is left from a ham bone and put it through a meat grinder. Then spray a cast iron griddle and fry it up. Good!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 PM

Scrapple is everything but the Oink! I think it's bigger in the Northeast than any place else. I can't gag it down.

All that popped into my head was the Spam Lamb from an episode of M*A*S*H My father likes fried Spam. It's the only thing I hated about camping trips. I knew that one morning we were going to have fried Spam and there was going to be a big argument as I gagged on that too.

However strange it may be, I DO like Deviled Spam. Comes in a little short round can. There are a couple other brands that call it "potted meat" I think it's good for a quick sandwich on wheat bread, a slather of mayo and could slices of 'mater. YUM!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC View Post
Scrapple is everything but the Oink! I think it's bigger in the Northeast than any place else. I can't gag it down.

All that popped into my head was the Spam Lamb from an episode of M*A*S*H My father likes fried Spam. It's the only thing I hated about camping trips. I knew that one morning we were going to have fried Spam and there was going to be a big argument as I gagged on that too.

However strange it may be, I DO like Deviled Spam. Comes in a little short round can. There are a couple other brands that call it "potted meat" I think it's good for a quick sandwich on wheat bread, a slather of mayo and could slices of 'mater. YUM!!!!
I love that stuff...LOL A can or two of it and some fresh sliced bread and I am a happy camper. Sadly I can't find it here where I live. Now Spam, reminds me a of congealed science experiment...lol
Old 02-06-2013, 04:10 AM

My inlaws lived outside Philly and scrapple was always on their Sunday morning menu. There were those who like it thin and crispy, others who wanted it sliced thicker and then there were a few of us who passed it by for bacon. Spam is a staple in my emergency food supply and it now comes in all sorts of flavors. It can be used like corned beef hash in with your onion, peppers, and potatoes. My DGM used to dice half a can and put into scalloped potatoes and serve with green beans. The other half would be sliced thin, browned in a cast iron skillet and served on HB buns with lettuce, onion and tomatoes.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:17 AM

When we lived in Anchorage Alaska there was a great night club that actually had SPAM on their menu. They were famous for it. It was sort of also a comedy club and they would actually show slides of people who were in exotic places holding up a can of SPAM. Very funny. I also like it but I never buy it because I think it has mostly fat in the content.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 AM

From what I have seen on TV, Spam is so popular in Hawaii it is almost the state most popular "meat". My husband claims that when he use to go fishing he could trade his "spam sandwiches" with the other guys roast beef. I don't particularly like spam but I love my scabble