Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
polyester question >

polyester question

polyester question

Old 03-03-2013, 06:29 PM

Default polyester question

I made a king quilt this weekend...and for the backing I went to goodwill and found three brand new sheets. One was white and it was in the package but it did not say what it was made of...I got it home and it was 40 percent
polyester and 60 cotton. I debated on using it...I decided to, I used all three cut them in to 10 inch squaures. I had no problem sewing it...why is it that quilters do not use it?? it really seems like its good quality and not issues cutting and sewing it...will I have problems when I wash it? I plan on FMG'ing the quilt so it should stay in place. I pray there is no issues using it since this quilt is huge and hope this is my last King size quilt...I made it double sided so its two quilts in one.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM

Some of the nicest sheets that I have ever had were 60/40 - they washed and dried really well and were so soft. But, on a quilt that my aunt made, she used some poly/cotton - don't know the percentage - and it "pilled" a bit - sort of a bumpy feeling. It may have been a higher percentage - maybe even 50/50. I don't think that you will have a problem though. However, if the other sheets that you used were not the same percentage, then you may have a different shrinkage.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:56 PM

I've used whole poly/cotton sheets for backing a couple of times. I wash my quilting fabric as soon as I get it home, so any shrinkage is taken care of before I quilt. Then I wash the quilt when it's finished to check that everything is secure and it looks good after washing.

So far, I've had good luck with the poly/cotton sheets. I also use flannel sheets that I purchase new at end of season sales in Sears. They have to be washed first, but work great, too.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 PM

I use sheets all the time, partly because I'm a cheapskate. But if I need some fabric NOW I often resort to using poly/cotton sheets since I live in a small island community that doesn't have much in the way of retail fabric selection. We have Joann's and a small LQS that I can't usually afford. I also wash my fabric before cutting and piecing so any shrinkage has already happened. I have never had any problems mixing cotton and poly/cotton sheets either while making the quilt or afterward. It's a great source of yardage especially on sale! Go for it!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

You can use poly/cotton fabrics but it reacts differently than cotton. If you mix the two, the poly/cotton will not fade like the cotton. Depending on the % of poly you have to watch a hot iron on it.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 AM

Cotton is just easier to work with. The sky won't fall if you use poly/cotton. Promise! If you are making an heirloom quilt for a quilt show with hundreds of hours into it, you might care more how the different fabrics fade. But, there are no hard and fast rules, it's your quilt, use what you like!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:47 AM

For years I used poly/cotton sheets for backings, as the availablity of extra wide fabrics just didn't exist. In fact we prefered blends , because they did not wrinkle hardly at all. Not all blends will pill. So I say... go forth ... use them.
Interesting I very receintly purchased 100 percent cotton, high thread count sheets...and they pilled!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 AM

Thank-you!! I feel much better now. The fabric is white so no fear of fading. I cut the sheet into 10 inch squares and sewed with the others. I had no problems sewing it. This weekend I will hopefully FMQ and bind. I am really hoping I can get it under my sewing machine. I have the Janome 7700 - anyone out there that has the same machine and has done king quilt - I would love some tips...I am going to do a simple meandering since its a revisable quilt.